Believable Trajectories

Ideas for expansions and improvements to Defcon

Moderator: Defcon moderators

trekdude31415
level1
level1

Believable Trajectories

Postby trekdude31415 » Tue Dec 29, 2009 6:02 am

Something that really bugs me about this game is that nuclear misses don't fly strait. When a nuke is fired from silo to a target its path is a semi circle. the semi circle always points north; this happens no mater where you fire on the earth. This means that when i fire a missle on the equator from western africa to the equator around assia the nuke travels through Russia to get there. This doesn't make any sense. the nuke should travel in a strait line since theres no distortion along the equator. Not only are the nuke paths wrong their time is also wrong. If you launch 2 nukes from a silo in south ameria, for example, one at the bottom of the map directly beneith the silo and one at any other point on the very botom of the map it will take longer for the second nuke to reach its target. In reality the line at the bottom of the map is all the same point; the time to each target should be exactly the same.

It would be nice if something could be done where the earth is the way the earth is suposed to be when dealing with things in the game so that nukes fly strait. I don't know exactly how to communicate what i mean at the moment but what i also would like in the game, (hopefully this clarifys) is for the atack ranges and flight ranges to not be circles since as the sircles exist now the points on the cirle are not really equadistant from the center. Really the cirles should be oval like blobish things. Movment of unites should be adjusted acordingly.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Tue Dec 29, 2009 6:14 am

This is a topic that has been brought up many, many times in the past. It can be addressed as follows: Defcon is a game, not a simulation. It neither claims to be nor attempts to be realistic. The paths that the nukes follow was an artistic and aesthetic decision made by Introversion Software, and is almost certainly not going to change. If you had searched the forums, you could have found many topics that contained this answer.

xander
bert_the_turtle
level5
level5

Postby bert_the_turtle » Tue Dec 29, 2009 8:16 pm

And just to clarify, the above post is not intended as an attack on you, it's not about making you look stupid for not searching, it merely states the facts :) Please don't be offended.
trekdude31415
level1
level1

Postby trekdude31415 » Wed Dec 30, 2009 3:16 am

oh i won't be. he's right i should have searched.

i think he needs to work on his is/ought though

also how do you best take advantage of the curve?
trickser
level5
level5

Postby trickser » Wed Dec 30, 2009 10:09 am

The trajectories will always bow to north, but what happens if you attack from straight north or south?
Then it will still bow to north, but depending on the slight difference to "straight", this will translate into left or right.

e.g. : hitting Sao Paulo

left angel: 2 of 7 nukes hit

right angle: 3 of 5 nukes hit

Another prominent spot where its really useful is London when attacked from the south.

This is from my Advanced Defcon Skills Cookbook, and even some of the real good players dont consider it. So keep it secret. :wink:
trekdude31415
level1
level1

Postby trekdude31415 » Wed Dec 30, 2009 11:25 am

link too cookbook?
ITS A COOKBOOK!
trickser
level5
level5

Postby trickser » Wed Dec 30, 2009 11:35 am

Hehe, I forgot I have not written it yet.
Pyr0qvy
level1
level1

Postby Pyr0qvy » Thu Jan 28, 2010 4:22 am

the curve is it going into the upper atmosphere and coming down on their targets.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Thu Jan 28, 2010 2:45 pm

Pyr0qvy wrote:the curve is it going into the upper atmosphere and coming down on their targets.

In the real world, an ICBM would curve into the upper atmosphere, then come down. However, when projected onto a map like the one in Defcon, it would still follow a "straight" line, where "straight" is the projection of a great circle onto the map. Such a straight line would appear to curve on a map, but it would curve to the south when south of the equator, and to the north when north of the equator. Nothing about the way in which nukes curve in Defcon is even the slightest bit realistic. However, to complain about this is to utterly miss the point.

xander

Return to “Think Tank”