Bomber Refuelling.

Ideas for expansions and improvements to Defcon

Moderator: Defcon moderators

Alexab4
level0

Bomber Refuelling.

Postby Alexab4 » Tue Oct 13, 2009 8:57 pm

Ive been doing some work for my school, and saw that most of the nuclear deterent bombers can have an unlimited range if refulled. I think this would be awesome, having maybe a refuler plane to help you. Obviously, it would not be that useful in some wars, but in 1v1 i think it would be super. Flying your bombers into a country and getting them out the other side. Sometimes that may be simpler.

What do u guys think?
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Tue Oct 13, 2009 9:35 pm

I think that (a) it would not make much difference in the end (the refueling plane will either get shot down or the bombers it refuels will get shot down or it won't ever come into play in the first place), (b) behave much like a crippled carrier (it would not be able to actually land fighters or bombers), and (c) it just won't happen, as IV don't seem to have any interest in further modifying the game.

xander
Ace Rimmer
level5
level5

Postby Ace Rimmer » Tue Oct 13, 2009 9:41 pm

Not needed really. I've found that it's generally best to get a bomber up, have it do it's business, and get back to base as quickly as possible. More time in air = more likely to get shot down.

I will occasionally use a bomber as a long range scout on the outskirts of the enemy territory (usually in 1v1) where said enemy doesn't expect my units. For example, running a bomber along the north border of Asia (directly through Mongolia) when you're not EU/Russia can be a good way to find northern radars that they're not watching. Another example is Africa vs SA, sending a lone bomber around and back down/back up the coastline farthest from your territory. I.e., you're Africa, sending a bomber over Central America (avoiding cities)/South US and then down the western coast line of SA.
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast...
Eral
level4
level4

Postby Eral » Wed Oct 14, 2009 1:36 am

Plus, with the fuel range of the bombers, you are able to use less carrier than you need usually to reload your bombers. Try the "carrier's bridge": for example 3 carriers for 12 bombers in air. When two are in lauch mode in the carrier the two others are in the air etc...

So it's not a bad idea, but you already can use a simple tactic to have the same result. No need. ^^
bert_the_turtle
level5
level5

Postby bert_the_turtle » Thu Sep 09, 2010 10:17 am

Spam reported.

Return to “Think Tank”