I.V

Ideas for expansions and improvements to Defcon

Moderator: Defcon moderators

Hyperion
level5
level5

I.V

Postby Hyperion » Mon Nov 19, 2007 8:40 pm

What do you think they're upto? O_o hard at work on Multiwinia? Subversion? o_O or working hard to get Defcon moved over to another format?...or maybe...just maybe they're planning a lovely big surprise in the form of a league or new tournament :shock:

All speculation :roll: :wink: but i just fancied getting this part of the forum lively again...plus i was wondering what they are upto O_O
Feud
level5
level5

Postby Feud » Mon Nov 19, 2007 11:38 pm

Multiwinia beta in January!
shinygerbil
level5
level5
Location: Out, finding my own food. Also, doing the shinyBonsai Manoeuvre(tm)

Postby shinygerbil » Mon Nov 19, 2007 11:39 pm

I'm fairly certain they're getting to a crunch point in Multiwinia, from their recent bloggage.

I'd love to see a new tournament in action, although I'm guessing that at least half of the Defcon regulars will end up playing Multiwinia as soon as it's available... I very much hope to be part of the beta process :)
Here is my signature. Make of it what you will.
Hyperion
level5
level5

Postby Hyperion » Tue Nov 20, 2007 8:17 pm

*Shakes Head* I won't be playing Multiwinia :D
KingAl
level5
level5

Postby KingAl » Tue Nov 20, 2007 9:19 pm

O ye of little faith!

/me shakes his head.
Gentlemen, you can't fight in here: this is the War Room!
Ultimate Uplink Guide
Latest Patch
Hyperion
level5
level5

Postby Hyperion » Tue Nov 20, 2007 9:53 pm

I never got into darwinia :roll: , loved the music and presentation of the game but the gameplay just didn't hook me *shrugs* :roll:
Ace Rimmer
level5
level5

Postby Ace Rimmer » Tue Nov 20, 2007 9:57 pm

I'm just hoping Multiwinia doesn't kidnap (in broad daylight), torture, murder, and then dump the body of Defcon into some deep gorge never to be seen again. :roll:
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast...
Hyperion
level5
level5

Postby Hyperion » Tue Nov 20, 2007 9:59 pm

I doubt it, i think defcon has a broader appeal than multiwinia, the forum folks might abandon defcon to the new multiwinia forums pages but unless you're a fan of darwinia i can't see it pulling in a new stream of players :?
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Tue Nov 20, 2007 10:37 pm

Hyperion wrote:I doubt it, i think defcon has a broader appeal than multiwinia, the forum folks might abandon defcon to the new multiwinia forums pages but unless you're a fan of darwinia i can't see it pulling in a new stream of players :?

First off, Multiwinia is a very different game from Darwinia, according to everything that we have heard. I am actually less concerned about Multiwinia taking Defcon fans than I am of it taking Darwinia fans -- there are so few of us still active on the boards, it is rather sad. Second off, how can you possibly judge the game without even playing it? 0_o I mean, it is quite possible that you will hate it, but how can you say, without even seeing it, that you won't get into it?

xander
martin
level5
level5

Postby martin » Tue Nov 20, 2007 11:08 pm

I would agree with xander, and hope that IV will expand the darwinia boards to encompass multiwinia - reviving them a little bit
GENERATION 22:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Feud
level5
level5

Postby Feud » Tue Nov 20, 2007 11:16 pm

To be honest xander, I can't see the Darwinia boards getting any worse off then what they are now. Defcon has managed to stay lively, I think, because it is a multiplayer game, and thus has an evolving community with evolving tactics. Darwinia however is at the point where virtually everything about the single player game has already been talked about. The only source of new discussion would be from mods, and there aren't that many of new or improving ones floating about.

Unless IV decides to bundle Darwinia with Multiwinia I don't really see it's fan base growing much larger then it already is. Don't get me wrong, I loved the game, but very few single player only games can sustain large active fan bases for an extended period of time (Fallout being a rare exception), unless the developers are willing to go to great lengths to expand and improve the game (an example being Galactic Civilizations 2).
All American Mobster
level4
level4

Postby All American Mobster » Tue Nov 20, 2007 11:32 pm

Ace Rimmer wrote:I'm just hoping Multiwinia doesn't kidnap (in broad daylight), torture, murder, and then dump the body of Defcon into some deep gorge never to be seen again. :roll:

I dont think so. I'd bet there are people like me who has never played Darwinia but are totally hooked on Defcon.

-$tanley
Xocrates
level5
level5

Postby Xocrates » Wed Nov 21, 2007 12:39 am

Ace Rimmer wrote:I'm just hoping Multiwinia doesn't kidnap (in broad daylight), torture, murder, and then dump the body of Defcon into some deep gorge never to be seen again. :roll:

Actually, from the few images and videos we've seen, Multiwinia seems a very different game from Defcon. Multiwinia seems a fast paced, brutal, and in some senses a more tradition RTS. It is kind like saying Starcraft stole civilization fans.
Hyperion
level5
level5

Postby Hyperion » Wed Nov 21, 2007 8:11 pm

xander wrote:
Hyperion wrote:I doubt it, i think defcon has a broader appeal than multiwinia, the forum folks might abandon defcon to the new multiwinia forums pages but unless you're a fan of darwinia i can't see it pulling in a new stream of players :?

First off, Multiwinia is a very different game from Darwinia, according to everything that we have heard. I am actually less concerned about Multiwinia taking Defcon fans than I am of it taking Darwinia fans -- there are so few of us still active on the boards, it is rather sad. Second off, how can you possibly judge the game without even playing it? 0_o I mean, it is quite possible that you will hate it, but how can you say, without even seeing it, that you won't get into it?

xander

Pretty much everyone else that posted below yours ^^ explained how i felt and what i meant when i wrote my post :P they just did it better.

First off, as far as i am aware Multiwinia is set in the same universe as Darwinia, on the same concept, with the same controls and the same or similiar units? :roll: of course there could likely be a different story line and more than likely alot of different units and tactics...as one would expect anyway. (i haven't been following it's development as it doesn't have my interest so i could be completely off the mark with those comments but that is what i would assume from the little bits i have read).

Second off...i am not making a judgement on Multiwinia but just a personal choice...i disliked and liked things in equal measures in Darwinia but sadly the things i disliked (camera, controls etc) made it more difficult for me to 'get into' and want to play :roll: and unless they drastically change Multiwinia from the template of Darwinia...controls, camera options etc which i don't think is going to happen :roll: , i doubt very much that i would enjoy it :)

I love Defcon, liked the presentaton of Darwinia and have playing Uplink on my 'to-do' list :roll: can't please everyone :D
Grandstone
level2
level2

Postby Grandstone » Wed Nov 21, 2007 8:32 pm

I'm waiting for Subversion and I hope they're working on that. It looks to recapture the mood of Uplink and Defcon while still managing to look pretty. Not that Defcon doesn't look good, either.

Return to “Think Tank”