Electronic warfare

Ideas for expansions and improvements to Defcon

Moderator: Defcon moderators

necron-99
level0

Electronic warfare

Postby necron-99 » Tue Jul 31, 2007 11:57 pm

alright.my search turned up one thread about nine months back along these lines,

my idea is somewhat different:

A secondary radar station mode that would forego detection to provide a chance of nearby ballistic launches not triggering an alert. at the risk of causing the station to register as an active silo
Eat_The_Path
level1
level1

Postby Eat_The_Path » Wed Aug 01, 2007 2:15 am

This idea actually does seem to have some potential, unlike some of the other new mode ideas I've seen. I'd just give radars a 'decoy mode' that makes them pop up as a launch warning, with a long switch time back to radar. This would have some distinct tradeoffs and implications to the game play, and might be worth a deeper investigation. I'm hesitant to upset the delicate balance of Defcon, but I am interested.
torq
level3
level3

Postby torq » Wed Aug 01, 2007 7:23 am

How will it work on a standalone silo with no radars nearby?

Realworld notice: A real missile launch is detected from the orbit by registering the heat generated from the missile's boosters. There's really no way to mask it. Moreover, by the spectrum of the heat you can identify the exact type of the missile being launched.
NMO
MikeTheWookiee
level4
level4

Postby MikeTheWookiee » Wed Aug 01, 2007 9:16 pm

torq wrote:Realworld notice: A real missile launch is detected from the orbit by registering the heat generated from the missile's boosters. There's really no way to mask it. Moreover, by the spectrum of the heat you can identify the exact type of the missile being launched.

So that would be the reason all the web-based catalogues of spectral lines come from the US military...?
torq
level3
level3

Postby torq » Wed Aug 01, 2007 9:44 pm

MikeTheWookiee wrote:
torq wrote:Realworld notice: A real missile launch is detected from the orbit by registering the heat generated from the missile's boosters. There's really no way to mask it. Moreover, by the spectrum of the heat you can identify the exact type of the missile being launched.

So that would be the reason all the web-based catalogues of spectral lines come from the US military...?

If you check my location you'd understand that I am the wrong person to ask about it :)
NMO

Return to “Think Tank”