Client configurable player unit palate

Ideas for expansions and improvements to Defcon

Moderator: Defcon moderators

PSBirch
level2
level2

Client configurable player unit palate

Postby PSBirch » Wed Jul 18, 2007 6:55 pm

The current palate of Green, Blue, Red, Yellow, Mustard, and Turquoise is okay, with one grievous exception; the blue. It is often very difficult to distinguish between the the blue units and the blue land outlines, *especially* when playing Europe.

As a short term fix I'd suggest changing blue to some other color, such as purple (R255, G000, B255) or a light brown (R110, G110, B25).

As a long-term solution, which will also aid people who are Red/Green color blind, I suggest a configurable palate as one of the client-side preferences options.
shinygerbil
level5
level5
Location: Out, finding my own food. Also, doing the shinyBonsai Manoeuvre(tm)

Postby shinygerbil » Wed Jul 18, 2007 6:57 pm

Seconded, so long as there's one other option added - an Alpha component. (I would assume, IV being IV, there would be one anyway!)

The only problem is when someone leaves or joins an alliance - it explicitly mentions the name of the colour. That would have to be worked around, and fairly simply too; just include a name for each colour ;)
Here is my signature. Make of it what you will.
bert_the_turtle
level5
level5

Postby bert_the_turtle » Wed Jul 18, 2007 11:57 pm

Aren't the units just blended additively? So alpha wouldn't make sense, you'd just end up with a dimmer color?
PSBirch
level2
level2

Postby PSBirch » Thu Jul 19, 2007 3:25 am

bert_the_turtle wrote:Aren't the units just blended additively? So alpha wouldn't make sense, you'd just end up with a dimmer color?

Err, I *think* he means that if you, say, change all your colors, on-screen text like "Bobby Sox Joins the Blue Alliance" won't actually make any sense. .:. there would be an additional need to have some sort of non-color dependent way of describing alliances.

How about using geographical references? Each country would have two forms, a "Long" and a "Short". Longs would be used when joining, while Shorts would be combined to name the alliance:

Code: Select all

North America joins the SA Alliance
Europe joins the NA-SA Alliance
North America leaves the NA-SA-EU Alliance
Asia joins the SA-EU Alliance

etc, etc. Further, the country's color could be used for the Long form, while the alliance's color could be used for the short.
bert_the_turtle
level5
level5

Postby bert_the_turtle » Thu Jul 19, 2007 7:11 am

I was just going after the alpha channel request :) You are correct on the color names.

Return to “Think Tank”