Free targeting for subs?

Ideas for expansions and improvements to Defcon

Moderator: Defcon moderators

Ocelot.UK
level0

Postby Ocelot.UK » Sun Jul 15, 2007 6:17 pm

how do you attack fleets with nukes like in that screenshot?
KingAl
level5
level5

Postby KingAl » Mon Jul 16, 2007 8:35 am

It's explained in the existing thread, in relation to subs. In relation to ordinary silos, they can fire wherever you like.
Gentlemen, you can't fight in here: this is the War Room!
Ultimate Uplink Guide
Latest Patch
Hyperion
level5
level5

Postby Hyperion » Mon Jul 16, 2007 8:45 am

Ocelot.UK wrote:how do you attack fleets with nukes like in that screenshot?

- Silo/bomber nukes can target anywhere (blind nuking) on the map without needing a target lock or radar :) .

- Sub nukes can target only units with a target lock, you also don't need radar to sub nuke the ocean as they will target any naval silhouette and nuke that location (even when the silhouette has completely faded), didn't know about targeting your own units (fighters) to nuke the ocean though :shock: ...sounds plausible and i've already thought of a few uses for it :twisted: i take it since your fighter (or what i assume could be an enemy plane also? :wink: ) is moving the nuke will only travel to the original position of the fighter when targeted and not track the fighter? :roll: (I WISH :D ).

Besides...in real life subs don't have the same basic advantages of say a bomber squadron (aerial line of sight of thousands of meters) or silo without the proper Intel (hence needing radar contacts for a fixed target).

- Fighters CANNOT shoot down nukes :( ...HOWEVER :D ...i always launch many fighters at incoming nukes (if i have nothing left) in the hopes that should my fighters be destroyed in the same location as the incoming nuke the nuke will be taken out also :roll: a very very very long shot i might add and i wouldn't even like to calculate the probability of that ever happening but i've lost many units (including installations and city population) when units are destroyed over one another :?

Losing bits of your population in Defcon 3/2 is very annoying.
Last edited by Hyperion on Mon Jul 16, 2007 8:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
shinygerbil
level5
level5
Location: Out, finding my own food. Also, doing the shinyBonsai Manoeuvre(tm)

Postby shinygerbil » Mon Jul 16, 2007 8:49 am

If I'm scouting somebody's territory with fighters, I'll always try and make sure to reroute them over any installations I see for that very same reason :)
Here is my signature. Make of it what you will.
Hyperion
level5
level5

Postby Hyperion » Mon Jul 16, 2007 8:52 am

shinygerbil wrote:If I'm scouting somebody's territory with fighters, I'll always try and make sure to reroute them over any installations I see for that very same reason :)

Sneaky bastard :evil:

I think it only counts as +1 equivalent nuke hit though, hence radar getting taken out straight away.

I don't know why this happens? :? some coding getting crossed over as the units are on top of each other? or literal unit wreckage taking out another unit? :roll:
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Mon Jul 16, 2007 3:39 pm

Hyperion wrote:or literal unit wreckage taking out another unit? :roll:

You hit the nail on the head. This is not a bug -- it is not "some coding getting crossed." If you shoot down a bomber over a battleship, it will take out that ship. If you cluster all of your bombers into a tight little group, a fighter can take out several bombers at once. You can drop a fighter on a bomber, have that bomber land on a battleship, have the secondary explosions from the battleship take out a carrier, and have the entire mess fall on a sub. Kinda cool, no?

It means that you really want to keep you units spread out a bit, and that you really don't want to put your subs directly under enemy battleships.

xander

Return to “Think Tank”