Things: Kamikazes and Naval Nukes

Ideas for expansions and improvements to Defcon

Moderator: Defcon moderators

Feud
level5
level5

Postby Feud » Wed Aug 15, 2007 8:00 pm

Destiny/TheGuy wrote:I don't like naval nuking. On most games I have played, people don't use it, but some players do, and it irritates me. You have to constantly monitor your fleet to make sure no nukes are coming in on it. A lot of times I concentrate my attention on one area and ignore my fleet if I'm sure it will be able to survive, for example, if I have already defeated the enemy fleet. Naval nukes makes the game less relaxing and more irritating.

Naval nuking also has a steep learning curve. Everything else in Defcon is relatively easy to learn. With naval nuking, until you're an "expert sniper", you'll be nuking the whales time after time. I figure that since I don't like it, I'm not going to try to learn.

Well, I would say it is like most things in Defcon, easy to learn but hard to master (mixed with a fair share of luck).

As Ace pointed out, you don't have to actually hit anything to make it effective. Droping a number of bombs on a strait, for instance, makes anyone hesitate about sending ships up that way. Further, just by making them deal with moving their fleets means that they are not acting offensively, but reacting defensively to you. As for irritating people, it irritates me when people nuke my silos, yet it remains an annoying fact of the game that it is a good tactic.

That being said, no one says you have to like or use every strategy that comes along, and none are an "end all" move that must be used to win.
Destiny/TheGuy
level0

Postby Destiny/TheGuy » Thu Aug 16, 2007 9:48 am

Another thing, this probably wouldn't be considered by generals of the time, but would nuking the ocean have an affect on the ecosystems of the world? I think it would, though it's probably not a concern(everyone's dying anyway). We could have a check box to decide whether naval nuking was "authorized". A realistic way of having multiple game modes.
walrus47
level4
level4

Postby walrus47 » Thu Aug 16, 2007 12:26 pm

Well to be fair any nuking would have a large impact on the ecosystem, and really the games not set up to show the long term impacts of what would happen in nuclear war. Wouldnt be as fun if you had to feel guilty after each nuke...
Feud
level5
level5

Postby Feud » Thu Aug 16, 2007 4:15 pm

Destiny/TheGuy wrote:Another thing, this probably wouldn't be considered by generals of the time, but would nuking the ocean have an affect on the ecosystems of the world? I think it would, though it's probably not a concern(everyone's dying anyway). We could have a check box to decide whether naval nuking was "authorized". A realistic way of having multiple game modes.

While that would be an interesting way of nuking things, I'm just imagining the hilarious conversation that carries the order:

President: General, I am authorizing a full nuclear strike against Europe, China, and the Soviet Union in response to the threat warnings we have been receiving.

General: Yes Mr. President, a full strike will be in the air in moments, we can expect 90% destruction of hardened military targets, and between 40-60% immediate destruction of civilian population centers, with fires and lingering radiation destroying another 20%. We are also deploying against Soviet naval forces off of the Labrador coast...

President: What!? General, tactical nuclear strikes are not authorized against naval target, recall those orders immediately!

General: But sir...

President: But nothing, have you gone mad General? There is a pod of Sperm Whales in that area, and if we disrupt their migratory pattern it could cause untold detestation on their genetic instincts. And let's not forget about the tuna...

General: ...
Ace Rimmer
level5
level5

Postby Ace Rimmer » Thu Aug 16, 2007 4:31 pm

I'm wondering why they're having to scramble the air strike. Shouldn't they already be up awaiting the final order? :P
Last edited by Ace Rimmer on Fri Aug 17, 2007 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast...
Hyperion
level5
level5

Postby Hyperion » Fri Aug 17, 2007 4:18 am

Ace Rimmer wrote:I'm wondering why they're having to scramble the air strike. Shouldn't they already be up awaiting the final order?

Wouldn't that be a contradiction of the chain of command?
Ace Rimmer
level5
level5

Postby Ace Rimmer » Fri Aug 17, 2007 4:24 am

Well, it's in response to "threat warnings". Surely the orders to get airborne would be in place already, not breaking the chain of command? I'm guessing that at that level of alert things would have already happened that would suggest a strike would be necessary and as such we'd want to be as ready as possible to carrier out that strike speedily.
Feud
level5
level5

Postby Feud » Fri Aug 17, 2007 6:55 am

Ace Rimmer wrote:Well, it's in response to "threat warnings". Surely the orders to get airborne would be in place already, not breaking the chain of command? I'm guessing that at that level of alert things would have already happened that would suggest a strike would be necessary and as such we'd want to be as ready as possible to carrier out that strike speedily.

The strike could have been in the air already. They could be loitering while final orders came in, or while friendly ships cleared the area. Further, if sonar warning nets detected a sub location that was previously unknown, they would have to then deploy against it.

In any case, I wrote it in about 3 minutes time. It's not going to be perfect.
Ace Rimmer
level5
level5

Postby Ace Rimmer » Fri Aug 17, 2007 7:12 am

Feud wrote:
Ace Rimmer wrote:Well, it's in response to "threat warnings". Surely the orders to get airborne would be in place already, not breaking the chain of command? I'm guessing that at that level of alert things would have already happened that would suggest a strike would be necessary and as such we'd want to be as ready as possible to carrier out that strike speedily.

The strike could have been in the air already. They could be loitering while final orders came in, or while friendly ships cleared the area. Further, if sonar warning nets detected a sub location that was previously unknown, they would have to then deploy against it.

In any case, I wrote it in about 3 minutes time. It's not going to be perfect.

Well, I was actually joking... :P
Feud
level5
level5

Postby Feud » Fri Aug 17, 2007 8:05 am

Ace Rimmer wrote:Well, I was actually joking... :P

No you weren't! Don't patronize me with your iniquitous lies! :cry:
Ace Rimmer
level5
level5

Postby Ace Rimmer » Fri Aug 17, 2007 2:42 pm

Feud wrote:
Ace Rimmer wrote:Well, I was actually joking... :P

No you weren't! Don't patronize me with your iniquitous lies! :cry:

Yes I was. See...
Ace Rimmer wrote:I'm wondering why they're having to scramble the air strike. Shouldn't they already be up awaiting the final order? :P

:wink:
Tripper
level4
level4

Postby Tripper » Fri Aug 17, 2007 3:31 pm

[quote="FeudPresident: General, I am authorizing a full nuclear strike against Europe, China, and the Soviet Union in response to the threat warnings we have been receiving.

General: Yes Mr. President, a full strike will be in the air in moments, [/quote]

Look, stop making fun! Feud was right to start with. He meant birds in the air
, not planes, silly :wink:

The days of faffing around with bombers at the failsafe point are long gone (although I wish there was an easy way to micro DEFCON bombers to do that ... :? )

Cheers, Tripper
Ace Rimmer
level5
level5

Postby Ace Rimmer » Fri Aug 17, 2007 3:32 pm

Tripper wrote:The days of faffing around with bombers at the failsafe point are long gone (although I wish there was an easy way to micro DEFCON bombers to do that ... :? )

Cheers, Tripper

Or so you think... :wink:

Return to “Think Tank”