Things: Kamikazes and Naval Nukes

Ideas for expansions and improvements to Defcon

Moderator: Defcon moderators

torq
level3
level3

Postby torq » Tue Jun 26, 2007 11:39 am

:lol: Let's toggle the using of nukes on and off :) That's my most hated tactics when somebody launches nukes at you :)
NMO
torig
level5
level5

Postby torig » Wed Jun 27, 2007 1:39 am

Xocrates wrote:I'll quote ynbniar on this one:

ynbniar wrote:Where will it end...

An option to reduce the naval combat range of bombers because my fleet keeps getting roasted
An option to limit bomber groupings so players can't swarm me
An option to prevent tight silo groupings so all my opponents nukes don't land on my silos at the same time
An option to stop my opponents from locating their silos away from their population and my radar range

...madness...

Point of fact is, it would open a precedent, and soon everybody would whine about how their most hated tactic should be toggable. This is not very different from the already suggested minimum range for silo nukes. It's basically changing the game so it's less complex and, in a way, easier.

Seriously, I don't think that is whining. I could see how someone really has more fun in the game, if there isn't any fleet nuking allowed.
Just like some people probably have more fun when defection is not allowed.
NeoThermic
Introversion Staff
Introversion Staff

Postby NeoThermic » Wed Jun 27, 2007 2:44 am

You know, I do recall at one point Chris using a fleet nuke (or receiving one) during a game that I was in. IMO if it's still legit, then it's legit, and it shouldn't need a toggle option. Every option Defcon has changes the game mode, not what you can/can't do with your units in the game.

NeoThermic
thindigital
level1
level1

Postby thindigital » Wed Jun 27, 2007 7:48 am

I didnt realise the fleet nuking tactic until i played online, the cpu never uses it. I enjoyed fleet battles just using bombers in anti naval mode,
After playing a few battles online i set out to learn fleet nuking and can do it now (not very well but good enough vs noobs/demos ect)

I understand its part of the game but i prefered naval battles without fleet nuking, i think there was more balance in games where i didnt use it because I had to choose to use bombers versus fleets or their nukes vs cities - like with subs, a good balancing feature.

Now, i realise bombers can take out a whole fleet in a few (admittadly skillfully aimed) nuke shots, they have become the most prized unit in the game by a long stretch

id just like to play some games online with the option NOT to have naval nuking, as I think this gametype would present completely different (and more carefully planned) naval tactics

:3

:wink:
Feud
level5
level5

Postby Feud » Wed Jun 27, 2007 7:51 am

I think the best solution would be a "gentleman's agreement".
torig
level5
level5

Postby torig » Wed Jun 27, 2007 8:08 am

Feud wrote:I think the best solution would be a "gentleman's agreement".

Yes, and if someone breaks the gentleman's agreement, you can still kick them from the game.
Oh. Wait.

;)
thindigital
level1
level1

Postby thindigital » Wed Jun 27, 2007 9:33 am

on tht point,

last night played PnL (im gonna lose i thought)

"lets do pacific only no silos" - fine says i ...

"naval nuking ?" says i ......

"naval nuking :3 " says PnL .....

'3 naval nukes - tht wud be ok i thought ......

now apparently ':3' is one of those funky new smileys used by young people and in no way indidcates '3' the number .....

i lost horrendously (i fired 3 naval nukes at def1 - she fired somewhat more) :twisted:

so a note of caution - even a gentlemens agreements can go awry .....
torig
level5
level5

Postby torig » Wed Jun 27, 2007 10:30 am

thindigital wrote:on tht point,

last night played PnL (im gonna lose i thought)

"lets do pacific only no silos" - fine says i ...

"naval nuking ?" says i ......

"naval nuking :3 " says PnL .....

'3 naval nukes - tht wud be ok i thought ......

now apparently ':3' is one of those funky new smileys used by young people and in no way indidcates '3' the number .....

i lost horrendously (i fired 3 naval nukes at def1 - she fired somewhat more) :twisted:

so a note of caution - even a gentlemens agreements can go awry .....

Hehehe ;)
I saw that game. I intended to spec it but it loaded too slowly :(

Saw you negotiate the rules however ; looks like it was a fun game (with the 2 territories per person and variable unit counts...)

PS don't worry. I'm also one of those "old geezers" who doesn't get all new smileys that pop up nowadays :P
palehorse864
level2
level2

Postby palehorse864 » Wed Jun 27, 2007 10:50 am

When you want to spec, wait until the first loading screen appears and then click the box on the top right of the loading window. You should be able to spectate while the game loads, but it will go as fast as it can.
torig
level5
level5

Postby torig » Wed Jun 27, 2007 11:02 am

palehorse864 wrote:When you want to spec, wait until the first loading screen appears and then click the box on the top right of the loading window. You should be able to spectate while the game loads, but it will go as fast as it can.

That's what I did ; otherwise I wouldn't have seen them negotiate rules.
But the game had been going for a while already and I just didn't feel like waiting that long. That and I didn't want to appear to be stalking Peace and Love :lol:
MikeTheWookiee
level4
level4

Postby MikeTheWookiee » Wed Jun 27, 2007 9:50 pm

thindigital wrote:so a note of caution - even a gentlemens agreements can go awry .....

As far as I remember it, Peace and Love ain't no gentleman :wink:

And on the subject of bizarre unfathomable smileys I too, an old git of 22, have trouble with them. Saying that I still have trouble making out the ones on this forum from time to time :(
shinygerbil
level5
level5
Location: Out, finding my own food. Also, doing the shinyBonsai Manoeuvre(tm)

Postby shinygerbil » Wed Jun 27, 2007 10:16 pm

Really? (@_@)
Here is my signature. Make of it what you will.
Gen. Ripper
level3
level3

Postby Gen. Ripper » Wed Jun 27, 2007 11:59 pm

mmm I employ naval SRBM's although i normally hold only 1-3 bombers in reserve at the rear (in case of enemy pushing their fleet head on) and let the bulk of bombers target normally.
Destiny/TheGuy
level0

Postby Destiny/TheGuy » Wed Aug 15, 2007 7:33 pm

I don't like naval nuking. On most games I have played, people don't use it, but some players do, and it irritates me. You have to constantly monitor your fleet to make sure no nukes are coming in on it. A lot of times I concentrate my attention on one area and ignore my fleet if I'm sure it will be able to survive, for example, if I have already defeated the enemy fleet. Naval nukes makes the game less relaxing and more irritating.

Naval nuking also has a steep learning curve. Everything else in Defcon is relatively easy to learn. With naval nuking, until you're an "expert sniper", you'll be nuking the whales time after time. I figure that since I don't like it, I'm not going to try to learn.

If you want to tell me that I'm a baby or anything, go ahead. It is, of course, just a game. I'm playing for fun.
Ace Rimmer
level5
level5

Postby Ace Rimmer » Wed Aug 15, 2007 7:37 pm

All I can say is what I tell everybody else in regards to naval nuking, you don't have to actually kill any ships to make use of it. In fact, you're a prime example of my point! The psychological effects of having to keep your fleet away from such activity typically far outweigh the benefits of actually killing ships.

You need not become an expert sniper to take advantage of another's weakness/irritation/distraction. :wink:
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast...

Return to “Think Tank”