Defcon 2 and some Defcon ideas

Ideas for expansions and improvements to Defcon

Moderator: Defcon moderators

palehorse864
level2
level2

Postby palehorse864 » Sat Jun 16, 2007 11:28 pm

Xocrates wrote:Yes, Introversion can think for themselves, and personally I think they don't bother much with the user responses to the suggestions. However that is not the crux of the problem here.

The problem is that most folk posting in this section come here with big suggestions that for the most part have very obviously not being entirely thought out. So when you ask how is that supposed to work or, often, what's the point. For the most part they will start insulting the community and saying what an asses we are, and their ideas will still not work.

Same with the folk that post the same suggestion that has been posted by a number that can only be described as aleph-zero. 3D world, realistic nuke paths, land units... Many forum goers are getting so sick of hearing the same stuff over and over again to the point of having a breakdown the next time someone posts "great idea: land units!!!!!".

Whether or not the idea has merit, you should see what ideas have been posted before and only if you don't find anything similar should you post your idea. However, be sure to have it thought out so you can effectively answer when someone asks how it is supposed to work.

A good bit of the time, it seems the situation is quite the opposite. I have seen decent ideas with evidence that the person has thought them out. They list the idea in some detail, and list what may seem like issues and either explain why they actually aren't bad issues at all, or they will explain a good solution to any potential issues.

After this, one of the "voices of introversion" will come along and put down the person who pointed the idea, using some issue they feel makes it bad. It becomes clear though that they barely even read the idea before attacking the person because that particular issue they bring up was already addressed in the original post and they make no mention of it. Either that, or they simply don't mention much of anything about the idea and directly attack the person. Some can get a bit nasty in a way. If accused of being rude, they deny it, or make excuses for why they have a right to do so.

My suggestion is to just click past an idea you don't like, or read the post and actually address the points, explain why you think it won't work, and allow an actual dialogue.

Granted, I have seen some greater maturity recently. Torq made a suggestion a while back about a second mode for battleships with lower accuracy for more damage and everyone actually explained to him politely how the "Chance to kill" system actually works and that there are no hitpoints. It seems things are improving. It was actually worst when the game had just released and people made topics that couldn't have been duplicates. A great number of new people got put down by the existing forum members early on when they arrived, regardless of how fresh or detailed their ideas were. I hope things are improving.

Return to “Think Tank”