A vote for kicking those foul-mouthed spectators in-game

Ideas for expansions and improvements to Defcon

Moderator: Defcon moderators

torq
level3
level3

Postby torq » Fri Jun 22, 2007 12:25 pm

You did a perfect job with that dedicated server of yours. I really pay you all due respect and thanks for that, but we are many and there're only three working dedicated servers that I know of. (Paranoia, yours and some other about diplomacy). Either these mechanisms for /ignore and traffic redistribution should be integrated within the game itself or the abuse will continue. The major drawback is that ordinary players can't change the game setup on your server. If you'd added the way of changing them for unregistered users I'd be thankful to you even more. (i.e. the first one who joins can set up the game).

Two more things needed most of all:
- I find the idea of adjustable real-time quota absolutely wonderful.
- Saving the chat logs (that may help in case 'that asshole's friend' maintains that you're false reporting).
Last edited by torq on Fri Jun 22, 2007 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NMO
NeoThermic
Introversion Staff
Introversion Staff

Postby NeoThermic » Fri Jun 22, 2007 12:29 pm

torq wrote:The points of your reputation don't reflect how well you play or how tough you are - they just prove that your behaviour does not offend people you play with. It's the way of reporting the abuse.

Reports of abuse should fall differently from points players earn. Why? There's no reason for other players to know what troubled history a player has, especially if the first slap (warning) is enough to make them change their mind and reform. They would not need the hassle and abuse that others would give them for having a warning if such info was public. Plus, then there's no incentive to win. Players who sit through a game earn as many points as those who win the same game. Why bother?

NeoThermic
torq
level3
level3

Postby torq » Fri Jun 22, 2007 12:37 pm

NeoThermic wrote:
torq wrote:The points of your reputation don't reflect how well you play or how tough you are - they just prove that your behaviour does not offend people you play with. It's the way of reporting the abuse.

Reports of abuse should fall differently from points players earn. Why? There's no reason for other players to know what troubled history a player has, especially if the first slap (warning) is enough to make them change their mind and reform. They would not need the hassle and abuse that others would give them for having a warning if such info was public. Plus, then there's no incentive to win. Players who sit through a game earn as many points as those who win the same game. Why bother?

NeoThermic

You can invent the rating system that evaluates your playing skills. (All about kills, survivors, backstabs, ratios depending on a number of players in game, etc) I'm not talking about this. I only want the abuse to stop (I have to block idiots with firewall now, but that doesn't give me any guarantees that some jerk wouldn't change his IP). Gamins skills is one thing - I said it's too difficult to evaluate, but if he went all his way to waste the time of other players by ruining games - no matter how good he is - he should be banned).
NMO
bert_the_turtle
level5
level5

Postby bert_the_turtle » Fri Jun 22, 2007 12:52 pm

torq wrote:...but we are many and there're only three working dedicated servers that I know of.

That's because it is still in testing and not feature complete. The situation should change once a version that deserves the label "stable" is available, then more people will set up servers. And Thanks :)

torq wrote:If you'd added the way of changing them for unregistered users I'd be thankful to you even more. (i.e. the first one who joins can set up the game).
Adding the abuse of server blocking: someone joins, sets the maximum number of players to 1, and just sits there. If you think this is boring, well, look at the current server list: apparently, two "New Game Servers" compete for the title of "longest time spent in the lobby" :) It could be possible and would be riskless to declare the first client an moderator of third class (who can't even kick) and allow him to include predefined game settings, which are chosen to have a guaranteed minimum audience. Simply running more servers for players to pick would be better, though, but I only have one key.

torq wrote:- Saving the chat logs (that may help in case 'that asshole's friend' maintains that you're false reporting).
Chat logs can usually be modified easily.
torq
level3
level3

Postby torq » Fri Jun 22, 2007 1:31 pm

bert_the_turtle wrote:
torq wrote:...but we are many and there're only three working dedicated servers that I know of.

That's because it is still in testing and not feature complete. The situation should change once a version that deserves the label "stable" is available, then more people will set up servers. And Thanks :)

Oh, we'll just have to wait then

bert_the_turtle wrote:
torq wrote:If you'd added the way of changing them for unregistered users I'd be thankful to you even more. (i.e. the first one who joins can set up the game).
Adding the abuse of server blocking: someone joins, sets the maximum number of players to 1, and just sits there. If you think this is boring, well, look at the current server list: apparently, two "New Game Servers" compete for the title of "longest time spent in the lobby" :) It could be possible and would be riskless to declare the first client an moderator of third class (who can't even kick) and allow him to include predefined game settings, which are chosen to have a guaranteed minimum audience. Simply running more servers for players to pick would be better, though, but I only have one key.

What makes people to join and just not press ready now? And the simplicity by itself - lock the number of players to 6 and don't allow to change it.
I don't say that the first person should have all the privileges - just to change at least SOME of the game settings. (number of cities, population, victory timer settings, defection, radar sharing - just normal tweaks to the gameplay).

bert_the_turtle wrote:
torq wrote:- Saving the chat logs (that may help in case 'that asshole's friend' maintains that you're false reporting).
Chat logs can usually be modified easily.

well, yes, but there are many uses for them except proof. Sometimes there're very funny and interesting discussions going on, that I'd wanted to save.
(Ideally I wish there were a way to record the game and play it back later).
NMO
caranthir.pkk
level3
level3

Postby caranthir.pkk » Fri Jun 22, 2007 3:20 pm

Its simple:

Bring the dedicated server through the beta/launch with a kick/ban system. This will lead to the creation of a community of dedicated servers, whose reputation will be based on the quality of the admin work done. In that, the server admin will be able to kick/ban spectators and players.

If someone sets up a server and kick/bans people for no reason, word will get around and fewer people will go there, very simple. Works in the shooter community for over a decade (CS/BF2 etc.) and will surely work in Defcon, seeing the amount of serious and dedicated individuals and the generally elevated quality of the community vis-a-vis other game communities.

It would help Defcon flourish far beyond its current level.

cara
Ace Rimmer
level5
level5

Postby Ace Rimmer » Fri Jun 22, 2007 4:45 pm

torq wrote:(Ideally I wish there were a way to record the game and play it back later).

Fraps works wonderfully well. You just need a ton of hard drive space. :wink:
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast...
torq
level3
level3

Postby torq » Fri Jun 22, 2007 7:13 pm

Ace Rimmer wrote:
torq wrote:(Ideally I wish there were a way to record the game and play it back later).

Fraps works wonderfully well. You just need a ton of hard drive space. :wink:

It's not the same. I'm thinking of logging players' commands and events (like in scripts):

Something like this:
Object 000001: City{Coordinates: xxxx:yyyy, Population: zzzz, Name: "abc"};
Object 000002: Silo{Coordinates: xxx1:yyy1}
.... (till the last object or unit)

Begin
time mark:
ObjectYYYYY Fire{Target: objectXXXX};
ObjectZZZZ Mode{1}; // switching mode

time mark:
ObjectXXX1 Fire{Target: objectYYYY};
ObjectXXXX Death{};

time mark:
ObjectXYZ1 Goto{Coordinates: xxx2:yyy2};
DrawExplosion{Coordinates: xyz1:zxy1};
Object00001 {ChangePopulation:2.1};

time mark:
Player1{All, "Damn you"}

time mark:
Player2{Player1, "Loser!"}

time mark:
Player4{Allies, "lol"}
Spec1{All, "lol"}

End

So that I can load this script and play it back. (sometimes something happens in game that I don't see it - with player I can watch all that I've missed). And we would be able to publish these scripts here for debriefing. OR - we can write scripts ourselves (or draw them in editor) to illustrate some tactical maneuver or anything else.
NMO
palehorse864
level2
level2

Postby palehorse864 » Sat Jun 23, 2007 9:58 am

I would love to see the ability to record games and play them back later from a spectator's perspective with controllable speeds. Imagine the possibilities.

• Record your game, get your butt kicked, and replay it to see why that group of subs sneaked around you. See what was hidden behind the fog of war, and why you lost.
  • Pros record their best techniques and publish them for new players to study and learn from. The debriefing forum becomes a valuable tool for strategy. The Defcon academy can build a database of techniques. Demonstrate them offline and post them easily.
  • When making videos, (Say, using fraps) you can play at real-time speed, do all of your beam attacks, etc. that require careful control of each unit. When you make your fraps video though, play back the game and set everything to 20x speed. People get to watch the entire progress in a reasonable chunk of time (Small enough to post on youtube if you like). It all will look very impressive and coordinated at that speed.
  • If player tournaments come around, you have better proof of fair play and such in case any arguments come up.
  • Bug exploits such as land crossing can be filmed and posted to the beta forums for Introversion to examine closely, making bugs disappear faster.
PSBirch
level2
level2

Postby PSBirch » Sat Jul 07, 2007 9:02 am

an /ignore command would work great, but what about those who give away what's going on via name changes? Or is that another thread...

bert_the_turtle
level5
level5

Postby bert_the_turtle » Sat Jul 07, 2007 9:29 am

The next version of DedCon will have name changes of spectators disabled when spectator chat is private, and also disable name changes when someone is /ignoring you.
PSBirch
level2
level2

Postby PSBirch » Sat Jul 07, 2007 7:25 pm

bert_the_turtle wrote:The next version of DedCon will have name changes of spectators disabled when spectator chat is private, and also disable name changes when someone is /ignoring you.

*HERO*
MegaDeathKill!
level2
level2

Postby MegaDeathKill! » Sun Jul 22, 2007 3:00 am

OAM wrote:Well, would the /ignore do it for all players, as they could still give intel to players who havn't done it.

Would this /ignore command be possible in all forms of online Defcon?
torig
level5
level5

Postby torig » Sun Jul 22, 2007 3:42 am

bert_the_turtle wrote:

I know people experienced some issues with my old server, but I've yet to bump into the first guy who lags on it.
Well, there was someone (tripper) but I saw he was on AOL and I suspect AOL more than the new server you know.

Also, for my servers, I'm willing to help troubleshoot any connection issue as far as I can go. Even getting you "proof" that the routing/packet loss at your ISP is bananas so you can mail them and ask to fix it (which is going to get ignored, anyways :P).
MegaDeathKill!
level2
level2

Postby MegaDeathKill! » Mon Jul 23, 2007 1:26 am

Never mind about foul mouthed spectators, what about foul mouthed players? Kids play this game, you know (it says 7+ on the box). There must be something that can, ban their number, whatever it's called. I'd like to be able to ignore certain players, does this feature work on all DefCon chatboxes?

Return to “Think Tank”