Castling

Ideas for expansions and improvements to Defcon

Moderator: Defcon moderators

Rising Thunder MVP
level2
level2

Castling

Postby Rising Thunder MVP » Wed May 30, 2007 4:11 pm

How about an evacuation move similar to castling in chess. You should only be do it after DEFCON 2 and BEFORE you LAUNCH any nukes. When activated the major populate cities are slowly evacuated to the rest of the cities. Should be very useful for Cairo.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Wed May 30, 2007 4:24 pm

If you don't want Cairo to be a liability, host your own games, and use a different population distribution scheme.

xander
snwcrsh
level2
level2

Postby snwcrsh » Wed May 30, 2007 4:32 pm

Still, evacuating sounds like a nice idea. A city option when right clicking on it: Evacuate will evacuate city population to nearby cities (or maybe even generate refugee camps nerby, i.e. new cities symbolized by a tent).

When you see a nuke or believe a certain city is targeted you can evacuate it. Of course, you will never get out the entire population in time but it might save you some points.
Ace Rimmer
level5
level5

Postby Ace Rimmer » Wed May 30, 2007 4:41 pm

I believe all this would do is drag out the game. Better players would simply nuke the big ones first and then wait for the "new" cites to appear or wait for the smaller ones to become bigger ones.
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast...
Radiant Caligula
level5
level5

Postby Radiant Caligula » Wed May 30, 2007 4:52 pm

I know Defcon isn't a simulation, but how many millions of people do you think will be able to move out of Cairo in 15 mins?
With experienced enemies neighbouring Africa, Cairo is dead 240 seconds (bombers) into Defcon 1 and even faster (120secs) if someone place a dedicated silo next to it...

It is a terrible film, but watch the migration in "Deep Impact" and you'll know what I mean. Mass evacuating people on short notice just doesn't work.
Sorry for being such a prude. :P
-First you wanna kill me. Now you wanna kiss me?? BLOW!
snwcrsh
level2
level2

Postby snwcrsh » Wed May 30, 2007 4:54 pm

Probably right, but that is like increasing cities; it's a question of nuke material after all. And after thinking about it, I find it kind of very disturbing to drop nuclear bombs on refugee camps. But maybe thats just me....
Feud
level5
level5

Postby Feud » Wed May 30, 2007 5:04 pm

Radiant Caligula wrote:I know Defcon isn't a simulation, but how many millions of people do you think will be able to move out of Cairo in 15 mins?
With experienced enemies neighbouring Africa, Cairo is dead 240 seconds (bombers) into Defcon 1 and even faster (120secs) if someone place a dedicated silo next to it...

It is a terrible film, but watch the migration in "Deep Impact" and you'll know what I mean. Mass evacuating people on short notice just doesn't work.

Better yet, watch Independence Day. MUCH better film, and it shows the absolute gridlock that major population centers can create.
Radiant Caligula
level5
level5

Postby Radiant Caligula » Wed May 30, 2007 5:11 pm

I agree that ID4 is infinitely better than Deep Impact. but it is almost a parody of itself. Still enjoyable, but my oh my what an insult to the art of film making.
Ace Rimmer
level5
level5

Postby Ace Rimmer » Wed May 30, 2007 5:12 pm

Feud wrote:
Radiant Caligula wrote:I know Defcon isn't a simulation, but how many millions of people do you think will be able to move out of Cairo in 15 mins?

Better yet, watch Independence Day. MUCH better film, and it shows the absolute gridlock that major population centers can create.

Who needs a disaster to create gridlock? Just have somebody stump their toe one the side of the road and you've got delays. It's unreal. Trust me on that.

I live in #4... (although I've heard stories about LA)
Forbes wrote:By the Texas Transportation Institute's reckoning, the cities having the worst traffic problems are:

1. Los Angeles, Long Beach, Santa Ana, Calif.

2. San Francisco, Oakland, Calif.

3. Washington, D.C.

4. Atlanta

5. Houston

6. Dallas, Fort Worth, Arlington, Tex.

7. Chicago.

8. Detroit

9. Riverside, San Bernardino, Calif.

9. Orlando, Fla.

11. San Jose, Calif.

12. San Diego

California has a decided edge in winning the award for the worst traffic, since five of its cities (or city regions) make the top 12 list. Several of the cities mentioned are well known as trucking, rail, air and sometimes sea hubs for logistics. The convergence of services taxes the infrastructure.

More dubious awards may be given for worst highways as determined by Overdrive magazine. They are I-10 in Louisiana, I-44 in Missouri and I-95 in New York.
Feud
level5
level5

Postby Feud » Wed May 30, 2007 5:31 pm

Radiant Caligula wrote:I agree that ID4 is infinitely better than Deep Impact. but it is almost a parody of itself. Still enjoyable, but my oh my what an insult to the art of film making.

Hey, any film that features Will Smith punching out an alien, an alcoholic F-4 pilot learning to fly an F-18 while coming off a binge, and the President of the United States leading a rag tag air attack while a computer virus created by a tv technician disables intergalactic alien software is "ok" in my book!
Xocrates
level5
level5

Postby Xocrates » Wed May 30, 2007 5:31 pm

snwcrsh wrote:And after thinking about it, I find it kind of very disturbing to drop nuclear bombs on refugee camps. But maybe thats just me....

But not major cities? :wink:
snwcrsh
level2
level2

Postby snwcrsh » Wed May 30, 2007 5:33 pm

nah, that's not as much of a waste :)
Radiant Caligula
level5
level5

Postby Radiant Caligula » Wed May 30, 2007 5:38 pm

Feud wrote:
Radiant Caligula wrote:I agree that ID4 is infinitely better than Deep Impact. but it is almost a parody of itself. Still enjoyable, but my oh my what an insult to the art of film making.

Hey, any film that features Will Smith punching out an alien, an alcoholic F-4 pilot learning to fly an F-18 while coming off a binge, and the President of the United States leading a rag tag air attack while a computer virus created by a tv technician disables intergalactic alien software is "ok" in my book!

Yeah, it is a B-movie made big. Don't get me wrong, I highly enjoy it, but it is still a farce.
Feud
level5
level5

Postby Feud » Wed May 30, 2007 5:59 pm

Radiant Caligula wrote:Yeah, it is a B-movie made big. Don't get me wrong, I highly enjoy it, but it is still a farce.

My first DVD purchase was the Special addition version with the original/alternate ending. I am, in fact, a fan of it.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Wed May 30, 2007 6:18 pm

Radiant Caligula wrote:Yeah, it is a B-movie made big. Don't get me wrong, I highly enjoy it, but it is still a farce.

I thought that was rather the point?

xander

Return to “Think Tank”