CPU Player Upgrades

Ideas for expansions and improvements to Defcon

Moderator: Defcon moderators

Smiling Buddha
level3
level3

CPU Player Upgrades

Postby Smiling Buddha » Sun May 13, 2007 12:40 am

Surely it wouldn't be hard at all to tell the CPU players to group their silos around their main population centres, their radar around their silos, their ships in smaller (non mixed) groups, to leave an alliance if being targeted, and to magnum launch silos/subs/bombers?
KingAl
level5
level5

Postby KingAl » Sun May 13, 2007 2:17 am

You'll notice the 5th option over here is to that effect. What I'd be more interested in seeing is support for player-designed AIs, which would allow people to create AIs to whatever specifications they'd like (assuming they had the know-how, of course).
Church
level2
level2

Postby Church » Sun May 13, 2007 3:58 am

KingAl wrote:You'll notice the 5th option over here is to that effect. What I'd be more interested in seeing is support for player-designed AIs, which would allow people to create AIs to whatever specifications they'd like (assuming they had the know-how, of course).

I wouldn't mind seeing something like that myself. It could be a useful training tool to prepare for a game where you know who you'll be facing, like in a tournament (you could set up AI opponents to approximate the playing styles of your opponents in the real game)
KingAl
level5
level5

Postby KingAl » Sun May 13, 2007 4:04 am

Church wrote:(you could set up AI opponents to approximate the playing styles of your opponents in the real game)

Why am I now imagining a Defcon based Turing test? ;)
Smiling Buddha
level3
level3

Postby Smiling Buddha » Sun May 13, 2007 12:42 pm

What I'm saying is that the AI is pitifully poor, and that it probably would only take a few simple 'rules' to make the AI far more proficient; whereas the other options in the poll would probably take a lot more time and effort.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Sun May 13, 2007 10:33 pm

Smiling Buddha wrote:What I'm saying is that the AI is pitifully poor, and that it probably would only take a few simple 'rules' to make the AI far more proficient; whereas the other options in the poll would probably take a lot more time and effort.

On the other hand, IV have said, from the start, that Defcon is meant to be a multiplayer game. You aren't supposed to play with AIs unless you have no other choice. Thus, if IV have the time to either make the AI better, or make multiplayer better, their focus is going to be on multiplayer.

xander
Smiling Buddha
level3
level3

Postby Smiling Buddha » Sun May 13, 2007 10:41 pm

xander wrote:You aren't supposed to play with AIs unless you have no other choice.

This happens in a significant portion of the games I play, due to players dropping.
PsychicKid
level2
level2

Postby PsychicKid » Sun May 13, 2007 11:01 pm

Or if you just want a stree-free match where you can freely cream the enemy into submission without fear of a drop, flaming, or other crap that human players contribute.

Return to “Think Tank”