Ideas for Spectators

Ideas for expansions and improvements to Defcon

Moderator: Defcon moderators

Smiling Buddha
level3
level3

Ideas for Spectators

Postby Smiling Buddha » Sun May 13, 2007 12:23 am

1. The ability to see each player's radar range.
2. A spectator-only chat channel for when spectator public chat is enabled.
3. Being able to see things like how many fighters/bombers/nukes are in a certain installation or carrier.[/list]

Also, a minor glitch: when you use the '/me' command in spectator mode, your name appears under '[spectator]' rather than to the side of it.
shinygerbil
level5
level5
Location: Out, finding my own food. Also, doing the shinyBonsai Manoeuvre(tm)

Postby shinygerbil » Sun May 13, 2007 7:30 pm

Agreed. Although being able to see individual players' radar ranges could be tricky?
Here is my signature. Make of it what you will.
Smiling Buddha
level3
level3

Postby Smiling Buddha » Sun May 13, 2007 7:45 pm

shinygerbil wrote:Agreed. Although being able to see individual players' radar ranges could be tricky?

Yeah... maybe show everyone's radar ranges simultaneously? Each player's/alliance's range would be colour coded.
MrBongo
level1
level1

Postby MrBongo » Sun May 13, 2007 8:21 pm

That, or the ability to switch between and restrict your viewing to the perspectives of individual players or teams. For example, being able to only see what members of the Blue team can see, in terms of their fightercraft available and radar range.
bert_the_turtle
level5
level5

Postby bert_the_turtle » Sun May 13, 2007 9:36 pm

You could ask the host to enable team switching and rely on the players' and spectators' honor not to abuse it. It gives you that kind of switch-and-watch flexibility; it also gives you point 3. on the OP's list. That being said, MrBongo's suggestion would probably be relatively easy to implement.

Also note that when radar sharing is active, you see the radar donors' radar ranges different from your own, too (less bright and with thinner border), and it works nicely even at the start of a diplomacy game where you see every radar range in the whole game, so there is little technical reason not to give it to spectators, too.

Put me on the "thinks this would be nice" list :)
kentuckyfried
level2
level2

Postby kentuckyfried » Mon May 14, 2007 7:42 am

Hmm, when I was testing out the mac beta for a bit, there were keystrokes to turn off/on every cpu players radars (even turning off all radar). Wonder if that could be feasible for spectators watching a live game.

Return to “Think Tank”