Host Migration

Ideas for expansions and improvements to Defcon

Moderator: Defcon moderators

Sr_Dela
level2
level2

Host Migration

Postby Sr_Dela » Wed May 02, 2007 8:53 pm

Sorry if this has been brought up before, and I'm sure it has, but it didn't come up in search. The idea is when a host quits the game that the server changes hosts to another player. One game I know they do this in is Flatout 2, I'm sure there are plenty more but that's the only one that I myself have played that has it. The only flop that defcon has is that the entire game gets disconnected when the host leaves, and many hosts do this on purpose when they're losing. So if the host quits the server simply becomes someone else's game and people are free to finish.
mibias
level5
level5

Postby mibias » Wed May 02, 2007 8:58 pm

This is a great idea, but it has been posted around 1000000 times. I guess it's harder than it looks to program it, or IV would have done it in one of the first patches.
Sr_Dela
level2
level2

Postby Sr_Dela » Wed May 02, 2007 9:13 pm

Very true. But still, it is essential to this style of gameplay. I've known people who have stopped playing this game because of it.
MrBunsy
level5
level5

Postby MrBunsy » Wed May 02, 2007 9:21 pm

Also another point that has been bashed about (largely by me, at any rate) is that there's probably quite a low chance that 1 out of 5 people could actually continue to be the host. The chance that they've got a fast enough connection, and open ports, I suspect is very low.
Sr_Dela
level2
level2

Postby Sr_Dela » Thu May 03, 2007 1:37 am

Well that's a very crappy connection. I can host a game and my connection is not the best, per say. Also, this game forwards your ports automatically, doesn't it?
MrBunsy
level5
level5

Postby MrBunsy » Fri May 04, 2007 5:38 pm

Sr_Dela wrote:Well that's a very crappy connection. I can host a game and my connection is not the best, per say. Also, this game forwards your ports automatically, doesn't it?
Nope, very few games and programmes do, and even then only if the routers support it. I thought Defcon actually clashed with UPnP.
Sr_Dela
level2
level2

Postby Sr_Dela » Fri May 04, 2007 6:49 pm

Ah. But I could have sworn it did it. I even remember it asking me if I wanted it to do it and I clicked "ok". Because I myself had not forwarded the ports and I've always been able to host a game with Defcon.

Return to “Think Tank”