Player View/Whats the point of having a think tank anyway?

Ideas for expansions and improvements to Defcon

Moderator: Defcon moderators

User avatar
Radiant Caligula
level5
level5
Posts: 1048
Joined: Thu Nov 02, 2006 3:47 am
Location: Somewhere sodomized

Player View/Whats the point of having a think tank anyway?

Postby Radiant Caligula » Thu Mar 22, 2007 9:36 am

I thought a nice option would be able to see each players screen and his focus. To see exactly what he's seeing. i.e. his zoom and all.

I'm not really optimistic about this being implemented, but it's worth a try. (worth a flame, at least)


I'm perfectly aware that IV does not conform to every suggestion, but I have not seen one (thats 1) suggestion brought forward in this think tank that made it to the game. Maybe except some technical upgrades, but concerning creative ideas, zip (?). So whats the point of having a think tank when nothing ever gets through? I'm sure someone's gonna take out the flamethrower now, go ahead. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: (Xander cmon, I know u have infinite amounts of kerosine in those tanks)
User avatar
KingAl
level5
level5
Posts: 4138
Joined: Sun Sep 10, 2006 7:42 am

Postby KingAl » Thu Mar 22, 2007 9:58 am

Perhaps no-ones' ideas have met IV's lofty standards?
I think it'd be interesting for specs to be able to see players' views, because it highlights what is, in my opinion, the most important aspect of the game - the human perspective. However, this'd have a couple of other implications: the zoom & view information would have to be transmitted, taking up valuable bandwidth, and it would give cheaters an even more powerful tool.
User avatar
Radiant Caligula
level5
level5
Posts: 1048
Joined: Thu Nov 02, 2006 3:47 am
Location: Somewhere sodomized

Postby Radiant Caligula » Thu Mar 22, 2007 10:02 am

yeah. and all that...

But cmon, plenty of the ideas I have seen aired here has been really good without me remembering anyone to highlight, just search and I bet out of the 30 top ideas, at least 10 of them are kickass enough to meet anyones standards...
User avatar
bert_the_turtle
level5
level5
Posts: 4795
Joined: Fri Oct 13, 2006 6:11 pm
Location: Cologne
Contact:

Postby bert_the_turtle » Thu Mar 22, 2007 3:57 pm

It makes sense for IV to keep out of feature discussions completely. They'd swallow up time in a useless way. Yeah, some ideas here probably are good, but Defcon is finished and gameplay is quite atomic; take any bit of it away and you get a game that will be worse. Any single feature addition would destroy this atomicity, because if you take it away again, you'd get plain old Defcon and not some crippled game. If any of the gameplay suggestions here makes it into the game, it will do so silently. Of course, there is always the option of these ideas getting used in a homebrew spinoff some of you may create one day.

Interface additions are something different, and this particular one would be an interface addition. I'm with KingAl, however, it would use tons of bandwidth whether the players use it or not.
User avatar
xander
level5
level5
Posts: 16869
Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2004 11:41 pm
Location: Highland, CA, USA
Contact:

Postby xander » Thu Mar 22, 2007 4:16 pm

I agree with KingAl 100%. It would be really cool to see the game from the perspective of a player, but I think it would choke the bandwidth. On the other hand, maybe all you have to send is keypresses, so it may not be that bad. At any rate, I like the idea.

xander
User avatar
Ace Rimmer
level5
level5
Posts: 10803
Joined: Thu Dec 07, 2006 9:46 pm
Location: The Multiverse

Postby Ace Rimmer » Thu Mar 22, 2007 4:20 pm

xander wrote:I agree with KingAl 100%. It would be really cool to see the game from the perspective of a player, but I think it would choke the bandwidth. On the other hand, maybe all you have to send is keypresses, so it may not be that bad. At any rate, I like the idea.

xander


:shock: Just kidding
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast...
User avatar
MoonHill
level3
level3
Posts: 284
Joined: Fri Oct 13, 2006 7:41 am
Location: Los Angeles
Contact:

Re: Player View/Whats the point of having a think tank anywa

Postby MoonHill » Thu Mar 22, 2007 6:10 pm

Radiant Caligula wrote:I'm perfectly aware that IV does not conform to every suggestion, but I have not seen one (thats 1) suggestion brought forward in this think tank that made it to the game. Maybe except some technical upgrades, but concerning creative ideas, zip (?). So whats the point of having a think tank when nothing ever gets through? I'm sure someone's gonna take out the flamethrower now, go ahead. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: (Xander cmon, I know u have infinite amounts of kerosine in those tanks)


Because people like to share their ideas, even when there's no earthly way of them getting into a particular game?

Because the sort of geeks who play computer games and then talk about them on the web like to talk a lot, and sequestering their demented ramblings about how cool X would be if Y was only Z into a separate board helps keep things tidy?

Because the IV people enjoy laughing?

:wink:
User avatar
prophile
level5
level5
Posts: 1541
Joined: Fri Feb 18, 2005 4:17 pm
Location: Southampton, UK
Contact:

Postby prophile » Thu Mar 22, 2007 7:01 pm

xander wrote:I agree with KingAl 100%. It would be really cool to see the game from the perspective of a player, but I think it would choke the bandwidth. On the other hand, maybe all you have to send is keypresses, so it may not be that bad. At any rate, I like the idea.

xander


Not like you can do that already by pressing the number keys at all.
User avatar
xander
level5
level5
Posts: 16869
Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2004 11:41 pm
Location: Highland, CA, USA
Contact:

Postby xander » Thu Mar 22, 2007 7:28 pm

prophile wrote:
xander wrote:I agree with KingAl 100%. It would be really cool to see the game from the perspective of a player, but I think it would choke the bandwidth. On the other hand, maybe all you have to send is keypresses, so it may not be that bad. At any rate, I like the idea.

xander


Not like you can do that already by pressing the number keys at all.

That lets you see their units, their RADAR, &c., but it does not show you what they are looking at. I think the idea is to have your display zoom and pan as that person's display zooms and pans. So, no, you can't do that with the number keys. ;)

xander
User avatar
Radiant Caligula
level5
level5
Posts: 1048
Joined: Thu Nov 02, 2006 3:47 am
Location: Somewhere sodomized

Re: Player View/Whats the point of having a think tank anywa

Postby Radiant Caligula » Thu Mar 22, 2007 9:01 pm

MoonHill wrote:
Radiant Caligula wrote:I'm perfectly aware that IV does not conform to every suggestion, but I have not seen one (thats 1) suggestion brought forward in this think tank that made it to the game. Maybe except some technical upgrades, but concerning creative ideas, zip (?). So whats the point of having a think tank when nothing ever gets through? I'm sure someone's gonna take out the flamethrower now, go ahead. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: (Xander cmon, I know u have infinite amounts of kerosine in those tanks)


Because people like to share their ideas, even when there's no earthly way of them getting into a particular game?

Because the sort of geeks who play computer games and then talk about them on the web like to talk a lot, and sequestering their demented ramblings about how cool X would be if Y was only Z into a separate board helps keep things tidy?

Because the IV people enjoy laughing?

:wink:


Because they lack resources to do the development that would truly make Defcon perfect? Because they are sadistic about ppl doing all the (post-)thinking for them, but wont implement anything at all, regardless of the size of the choir? Because they don't do upgrades at all and only like to have lots of traffic on their servers?? Because they are searching for ideas without having to use more fingers than their scrolling one? Because they, ack, what the heck, i dont really care.

I love defcon, either way. I just think lots of options and upgrades could be added without destroying the "purity" that is Defcon. Such as making the text in the chat windows actually FIT when you're writing more than 8 words and correcting the idiotic naval courses. Small things like that. And tons of more significant things too, but I wont even bother mention them, cause they will never happen. Besides, my fingers are tired, typed too much, played too much piano and composed too many pieces. But thats me, I'm just overly creative. I won't direct any of my creativity at IV's think thank from now on, sorry.

*piano waiting* :P
User avatar
Ace Rimmer
level5
level5
Posts: 10803
Joined: Thu Dec 07, 2006 9:46 pm
Location: The Multiverse

Re: Player View/Whats the point of having a think tank anywa

Postby Ace Rimmer » Thu Mar 22, 2007 9:09 pm

Radiant Caligula wrote:... truly make Defcon perfect?

Unattainable.

Radiant Caligula wrote:... Such as making the text in the chat windows actually FIT when you're writing more than 8 words...

So I'm not the only one who noticed this... :wink:
User avatar
Radiant Caligula
level5
level5
Posts: 1048
Joined: Thu Nov 02, 2006 3:47 am
Location: Somewhere sodomized

Postby Radiant Caligula » Thu Mar 22, 2007 9:20 pm

yeah, but you know what I mean. This game is already perfect in terms of style and content. But streamlining their product wouldnt be so bad, would it? I'd wish IV had more resources to make it bigger. I think Defcon could be a smash hit if they only could market it properly, THEN they would actually have the resources to improve and make even better games and so on and so on and so on.

It's cool to be the cool ppl but if everything you do cools down before you can make more coolness then you just might move to the Arctic. Thats where I live. Norway is its other name...
User avatar
Ace Rimmer
level5
level5
Posts: 10803
Joined: Thu Dec 07, 2006 9:46 pm
Location: The Multiverse

Postby Ace Rimmer » Thu Mar 22, 2007 9:24 pm

Marketing, that's the only real complaint I have with Defcon. Had I not been actively searching for it, I'd still not know about Introversion or Defcon. What a sad world that'd be!

Defcon needs a serious dose of Marketing.
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast...
User avatar
Radiant Caligula
level5
level5
Posts: 1048
Joined: Thu Nov 02, 2006 3:47 am
Location: Somewhere sodomized

Postby Radiant Caligula » Thu Mar 22, 2007 9:30 pm

yeah, as far as the WORLD is concerned, Defcon doesn't exist.

Why dont they just relaunch it when they have the time and money? No ones ever heard of it anyway.

BRAND NEW RELEASE: Defcon: Everybody Dies. The world's first Genocide'em Up!

Smashing!


With a little effort, I bet IV could quadrouple sales of defcon. Easily. And I'm not joking. That wouldn't be bad would it?
It would be great to get more meat to grind for us veterans too, wouldn't it Ace? ;-) :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
User avatar
Ace Rimmer
level5
level5
Posts: 10803
Joined: Thu Dec 07, 2006 9:46 pm
Location: The Multiverse

Postby Ace Rimmer » Thu Mar 22, 2007 9:35 pm

Radiant Caligula wrote:yeah, as far as the WORLD is concerned, Defcon doesn't exist.

Why dont they just relaunch it when they have the time and money? No ones ever heard of it anyway.

BRAND NEW RELEASE: Defcon: Everybody Dies. The world's first Genocide'em Up!

Smashing!


With a little effort, I bet IV could gazillionplex sales of defcon. Easily. And I'm not joking. That wouldn't be bad would it?
It would be great to get more meat to grind for us veterans too, wouldn't it Ace? ;-) :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:


fix'd

*big crowd ranting gazillion!-gazillion!-GAZILLION!-GAZILLION!!!-GAZILLION!!!!*

Return to “Think Tank”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest