Magic Planes Kill 1 Million People

Ideas for expansions and improvements to Defcon

Moderator: Defcon moderators

User avatar
mstcr0w5429
level2
level2
Posts: 97
Joined: Mon Oct 09, 2006 12:14 am
Location: New Hampshire

Magic Planes Kill 1 Million People

Postby mstcr0w5429 » Fri Jan 05, 2007 5:59 am

Ok, I think the fact that a plane falling on a city killing 1 million people is completely absurd. Even flying two planes *into* a city only killed 3,000.
User avatar
Montyphy
level5
level5
Posts: 6745
Joined: Tue Apr 19, 2005 2:28 pm
Location: London, England

Postby Montyphy » Fri Jan 05, 2007 6:11 am

As was mentioned in the other thread regarding this, scores are rounded down. 1,000 die and it looks like you lose a million.
Uplink help: Check out the Guide or FAQ.
Latest Uplink patch is v1.55.
User avatar
DueAccident
level3
level3
Posts: 463
Joined: Wed Oct 25, 2006 2:30 am

Postby DueAccident » Fri Jan 05, 2007 5:33 pm

They are also very big planes, so I think it is quite believable. :P
User avatar
Spacemonkey
level4
level4
Posts: 609
Joined: Thu Oct 05, 2006 1:31 am
Location: Auckland, New Zealand

Postby Spacemonkey » Sat Jan 06, 2007 12:19 am

Very big planes and very small cities :D
User avatar
TheHappyFriar
level2
level2
Posts: 236
Joined: Sun Mar 05, 2006 7:59 pm
Location: upper left

Postby TheHappyFriar » Sun Jan 07, 2007 3:43 am

you've seen "Dr. Strangelove", right? These guys a PRO's! Max death count, they BECOME the bomb! :)
User avatar
mstcr0w5429
level2
level2
Posts: 97
Joined: Mon Oct 09, 2006 12:14 am
Location: New Hampshire

Postby mstcr0w5429 » Sun Jan 07, 2007 3:46 am

DueAccident wrote:They are also very big planes, so I think it is quite believable. :P


1. What is the practical use of such enormous planes?

2. Where does one acquire the national industry to produce such huge planes in such numbers, so quickly?
User avatar
xander
level5
level5
Posts: 16869
Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2004 11:41 pm
Location: Highland, CA, USA
Contact:

Postby xander » Sun Jan 07, 2007 3:51 am

mstcr0w5429 wrote:
DueAccident wrote:They are also very big planes, so I think it is quite believable. :P


1. What is the practical use of such enormous planes?

2. Where does one acquire the national industry to produce such huge planes in such numbers, so quickly?

It was a joke. Laugh.

xander
User avatar
KingAl
level5
level5
Posts: 4138
Joined: Sun Sep 10, 2006 7:42 am

Postby KingAl » Sun Jan 07, 2007 3:54 am

mstcr0w5429 wrote:
DueAccident wrote:They are also very big planes, so I think it is quite believable. :P


1. What is the practical use of such enormous planes?


Killing 1 million when you crash, silly.

mstcr0w5429 wrote:2. Where does one acquire the national industry to produce such huge planes in such numbers, so quickly?


Are you being entirely serious? Do you really think the units should be smaller than the pixels on the screen? As for them killing 1 million (or, apparently, 1000 if Montyphy is correct), it's just a game mechanic. It's not an accident or a byproduct of bad code, it's been made like that purposefully. Realism isn't at issue, because it's a game. So, much like the planes not being actual relative size for the purposes of the game, so too are they able to damage cities.
User avatar
mstcr0w5429
level2
level2
Posts: 97
Joined: Mon Oct 09, 2006 12:14 am
Location: New Hampshire

Postby mstcr0w5429 » Sun Jan 07, 2007 3:56 am

Ok, straight-man humor just flies over some people's heads. No pun intended.
User avatar
Arrozal Zipoetes
level1
level1
Posts: 16
Joined: Tue Oct 17, 2006 12:35 pm
Location: Zhaskevia
Contact:

Re: Magic Planes Kill 1 Million People

Postby Arrozal Zipoetes » Sun Jan 07, 2007 5:27 am

mstcr0w5429 wrote:Ok, I think the fact that a plane falling on a city killing 1 million people is completely absurd. Even flying two planes *into* a city only killed 3,000.


Those planes weren't carrying SRBM's. 8)
User avatar
mstcr0w5429
level2
level2
Posts: 97
Joined: Mon Oct 09, 2006 12:14 am
Location: New Hampshire

Re: Magic Planes Kill 1 Million People

Postby mstcr0w5429 » Sun Jan 07, 2007 5:35 am

Arrozal Zipoetes wrote:
mstcr0w5429 wrote:Ok, I think the fact that a plane falling on a city killing 1 million people is completely absurd. Even flying two planes *into* a city only killed 3,000.


Those planes weren't carrying SRBM's. 8)


True, but a SRBM will just fall to the ground inert, causing no large-scale damage.
User avatar
Arrozal Zipoetes
level1
level1
Posts: 16
Joined: Tue Oct 17, 2006 12:35 pm
Location: Zhaskevia
Contact:

Re: Magic Planes Kill 1 Million People

Postby Arrozal Zipoetes » Sun Jan 07, 2007 6:15 am

mstcr0w5429 wrote:
Arrozal Zipoetes wrote:
mstcr0w5429 wrote:Ok, I think the fact that a plane falling on a city killing 1 million people is completely absurd. Even flying two planes *into* a city only killed 3,000.


Those planes weren't carrying SRBM's. 8)


True, but a SRBM will just fall to the ground inert, causing no large-scale damage.


Radioactivity? I'm not exactly sure on this tbh, but surely a nuclear weapon inside a downed plane that could've suffered crash and/or fire damage is of some concern.
User avatar
KingAl
level5
level5
Posts: 4138
Joined: Sun Sep 10, 2006 7:42 am

Re: Magic Planes Kill 1 Million People

Postby KingAl » Sun Jan 07, 2007 6:40 am

Arrozal Zipoetes wrote:
mstcr0w5429 wrote:
Arrozal Zipoetes wrote:
mstcr0w5429 wrote:Ok, I think the fact that a plane falling on a city killing 1 million people is completely absurd. Even flying two planes *into* a city only killed 3,000.


Those planes weren't carrying SRBM's. 8)


True, but a SRBM will just fall to the ground inert, causing no large-scale damage.


Radioactivity? I'm not exactly sure on this tbh, but surely a nuclear weapon inside a downed plane that could've suffered crash and/or fire damage is of some concern.


There's no need to argue that it's realistic. It isn't, but that's not the point - it's a game mechanic, that's how it works, and it's not going to change.
User avatar
mstcr0w5429
level2
level2
Posts: 97
Joined: Mon Oct 09, 2006 12:14 am
Location: New Hampshire

Re: Magic Planes Kill 1 Million People

Postby mstcr0w5429 » Sun Jan 07, 2007 1:47 pm

KingAl wrote:
Arrozal Zipoetes wrote:
mstcr0w5429 wrote:
Arrozal Zipoetes wrote:
mstcr0w5429 wrote:Ok, I think the fact that a plane falling on a city killing 1 million people is completely absurd. Even flying two planes *into* a city only killed 3,000.


Those planes weren't carrying SRBM's. 8)


True, but a SRBM will just fall to the ground inert, causing no large-scale damage.


Radioactivity? I'm not exactly sure on this tbh, but surely a nuclear weapon inside a downed plane that could've suffered crash and/or fire damage is of some concern.


There's no need to argue that it's realistic. It isn't, but that's not the point - it's a game mechanic, that's how it works, and it's not going to change.


Maybe it will change, maybe it won't. I'm not in a position to know, and I don't know anyone else here that is. Taking a reactionary static universe approach to the game is just silly.
User avatar
DueAccident
level3
level3
Posts: 463
Joined: Wed Oct 25, 2006 2:30 am

Re: Magic Planes Kill 1 Million People

Postby DueAccident » Sun Jan 07, 2007 1:53 pm

mstcr0w5429 wrote:
Arrozal Zipoetes wrote:
mstcr0w5429 wrote:Ok, I think the fact that a plane falling on a city killing 1 million people is completely absurd. Even flying two planes *into* a city only killed 3,000.


Those planes weren't carrying SRBM's. 8)


True, but a SRBM will just fall to the ground inert, causing no large-scale damage.


They carry nuke-detonating gremlins with them. Standard issue incase of such an incident.

Return to “Think Tank”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests