Bug with fighter fuel range vs combat range when landing

Ideas for expansions and improvements to Defcon

Moderator: Defcon moderators

Apathy
level0

Bug with fighter fuel range vs combat range when landing

Postby Apathy » Sun Dec 03, 2006 9:46 pm

Please excuse me if this has been posted before. If it has I couldn't find it.

When you tell a fighter to land, the game is calculating the arc of the turn based on the combat range rather than the fuel range. As a result the figters turn too slowly, then run out of fuel.

You can test this out by launching a fighter away from a base, letting some fuel run out, then telling it to land. You can see that the game is turning the figter based on the tangent with the combat range. I'm sure the developers meant this to be based on the fuel range instead.

In my experience this is just a problem with fighters. Bombers calculate their turns correctly based on the fuel.
TheHappyFriar
level2
level2

Postby TheHappyFriar » Mon Dec 04, 2006 5:05 pm

the turns radious is based on how fast the object moves. fighters move faster so they have a larger radius.
Gen. Ripper
level3
level3

Postby Gen. Ripper » Mon Dec 04, 2006 8:52 pm

i was under the impression that fighter had smaller turning circles than bombers, since they are more agile, mmm anyway... i have had times were bombers have turned around in seconds nearly...

TheHappyFriar
level2
level2

Postby TheHappyFriar » Tue Dec 05, 2006 3:20 am

from the testing i did just now, they are ~the same radius. that's just sending them a little ways away & then recalling them though.
Apathy
level0

Postby Apathy » Tue Dec 05, 2006 4:41 am

Bleh, forget this post. I was doing more testing trying to get some screen shots and I think I was wrong. :oops: Anway, its just frustrating trying to guestimate the "real" fuel range of aircraft after they have made a turn.

I swear though, I have seen some planes make hair pin turns while other's seem to take their sweet time. If anyone can tell me why this is I would love to know.
TheHappyFriar
level2
level2

Postby TheHappyFriar » Tue Dec 05, 2006 8:06 pm

i belive there is a "glitch" where if you tell a plain to attack, then turn (or something to that effect) it will do a sharp turn.

but i always forget the turn radius when i launch fighters. :) Many have died needfully. :D

Return to “Think Tank”