The Red Button. But maybe a different approach...

Ideas for expansions and improvements to Defcon

Moderator: Defcon moderators

Merkwurdigliebe
level1
level1

The Red Button. But maybe a different approach...

Postby Merkwurdigliebe » Sat Nov 25, 2006 3:40 pm

I know, the moment I state this opinion I provoke hostility and goodwill both at a time...

I've read a few statements about the Red Button idea... none of them satisfied me, personally. Because the possible strategies in Defcon do not allow much change.

But, maybe, the red button thingie could serve well as an option both to the enemies and friends of this idea:

First of all, there are three items on the Defcon map that can launch nukes:
Bombers,
Submarines
and Silos.

These three have other duties to do, however, and take time to switch between modes.
Simply pressing a red button so that everything starts preparing for launch and launches isn't what we all think is best. Some may think, but I don't.

But, one could add one more option to the modes of the different units:
A "Retaliation Readiness (&nukes to go)" mode or whatever it be called.
Selecting this mode takes the unit half of the time of an ICBM launch mode switch, but also would take some time to go back into the other useful modes (Air Defense, Naval combat, etc.). Having selected Retaliation Readiness, you can select targets like you do in SRBM/MRBM/ICBM Launch Mode, but the nukes won't be launched until you press the red button.
So, having preprogrammed your targets, you can EITHER use the red button or the standard procedures (SRBM/MRBM/ICBM Mode switch, selecting targets) already known to all of us.

Pressing the red button would still take the units some time to be prepared. Maybe the time for every unit until it can launch its first retaliation strike should be the same, so that a retaliation strike is really all-nukes-at-the-same-time for the FIRST nukes they all launch. For more than first-launch nukes, Silos and Subs need different time to prepare, and the bomber is empty after one launch.

This would need another implementation: Bombers on Hold. Bombers should be able to be assigned a hold pattern which they circle around until they are needed for any purpose, so they are ready in the air. Ok, Defcon is not an RTS but an Arcade game, but would this do any harm to gameplay???

Another possibility would be a cancelling button (the GREEN one???) which cancels all Retaliation Readiness orders, switching all units back to their default modes. As stated, this takes some time, either.

Critics welcome, but I won't listen to you who do not want this at all. I'm talking about IF it's being added to Defcon. On the other hand, why should you even care? It's an optional feature that wouldn't change anything but a small red button in the main interface and another line in the units' context menu.
Merkwurdigliebe a.k.a. lambda*sqrt(u*x)

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson, 1937-2005
helphelphelp
level0

Postby helphelphelp » Sat Jan 27, 2007 6:01 am

no. i like to micromanage my nuke launches. i hate that idea. sorry :(
KingAl
level5
level5

Postby KingAl » Sat Jan 27, 2007 6:03 am

helphelphelp wrote:no. i like to micromanage my nuke launches. i hate that idea. sorry :(

Please don't post in old threads - believe me, people have already thoroughly condemned the 'Red Button' idea.
Merkwurdigliebe
level1
level1

Postby Merkwurdigliebe » Wed Jan 31, 2007 2:07 pm

Please people... if you comment, make sure you have read. I tried to make a different apporoach here, which leaves both micromanaging and the red button idea to us. But of course you can write your critique afterwards :)
Merkwurdigliebe a.k.a. lambda*sqrt(u*x)

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."

Hunter S. Thompson, 1937-2005
Darksun
level5
level5

Postby Darksun » Wed Jan 31, 2007 2:26 pm

Stab Stabbity! Stab Stabbity! Stab Stabbity! Stab Stabbity! Stab Stabbity! Stab Stabbity! Stab Stabbity! Stab Stabbity! Stab Stabbity! Stab Stabbity! Stab Stabbity! Stab Stabbity! Stab Stabbity! Stab Stabbity! Stab Stabbity! Stab Stabbity! Stab Stabbity! Stab Stabbity! Stab Stabbity! Stab Stabbity! Stab Stabbity! Stab Stabbity! Stab Stabbity! Stab Stabbity! Stab Stabbity! Stab Stabbity! Stab Stabbity! Stab Stabbity! Stab Stabbity! Stab Stabbity! Stab Stabbity! Stab Stabbity! Stab Stabbity! Stab Stabbity! Stab Stabbity! Stab Stabbity! Stab Stabbity! Stab Stabbity! Stab Stabbity! Stab Stabbity! Stab Stabbity! Stab Stabbity! Stab Stabbity! Stab Stabbity! Stab Stabbity! Stab Stabbity! Stab Stabbity! Stab Stabbity! Stab Stabbity! Stab Stabbity! Stab Stabbity! Stab Stabbity! Stab Stabbity! Stab Stabbity! Stab Stabbity! Stab Stabbity! Stab Stabbity! Stab Stabbity! Stab Stabbity! Stab Stabbity! Stab Stabbity! Stab Stabbity! Stab Stabbity! Stab Stabbity! Stab Stabbity! Stab! Stab Stabbity! Stab Stabbity! Stab Stabbity! Stab Stabbity! Stab Stabbity! Stab Stabbity! Stab Stabbity! Stab Stabbity! Stab Stabbity! Stab Stabbity! Stab Stabbity! Stab Stabbity! Stab Stabbity! Stab Stabbity! Stab Stabbity! Stab Stabbity! Stab Stabbity! Stab Stabbity! Stab Stabbity! Stab Stabbity! Stab Stabbity! Stab Stabbity! Stab Stabbity! Stab Stabbity! Stab Stabbity! Stab Stabbity! Stabbity Stabbity! Stabbity! Stab stab stab! Stab Stabbity! Stab! Stabbity stab! Stab stab!
Montyphy
level5
level5

Postby Montyphy » Wed Jan 31, 2007 2:27 pm

Translation?
Uplink help: Check out the Guide or FAQ.
Latest Uplink patch is v1.55.
KingAl
level5
level5

Postby KingAl » Wed Jan 31, 2007 2:30 pm

Montyphy wrote:Translation?

The alphabet! Hooray!

But more importantly, stabby.
LordSturm
level4
level4

Postby LordSturm » Wed Feb 07, 2007 9:42 am

Darksun wrote:Stab Stabbity! Stab Stabbity! Stab Stabbity! Stab Stabbity! Stab Stabbity! Stab Stabbity! Stab Stabbity! Stab Stabbity! Stab Stabbity! Stab Stabbity! Stab Stabbity! Stab Stabbity! Stab Stabbity! Stab Stabbity! Stab Stabbity! Stab Stabbity! Stab Stabbity! Stab Stabbity! Stab Stabbity! Stab Stabbity! Stab Stabbity! Stab Stabbity! Stab Stabbity! Stab Stabbity! Stab Stabbity! Stab Stabbity! Stab Stabbity! Stab Stabbity! Stab Stabbity! Stab Stabbity! Stab Stabbity! Stab Stabbity! Stab Stabbity! Stab Stabbity! Stab Stabbity! Stab Stabbity! Stab Stabbity! Stab Stabbity! Stab Stabbity! Stab Stabbity! Stab Stabbity! Stab Stabbity! Stab Stabbity! Stab Stabbity! Stab Stabbity! Stab Stabbity! Stab Stabbity! Stab Stabbity! Stab Stabbity! Stab Stabbity! Stab Stabbity! Stab Stabbity! Stab Stabbity! Stab Stabbity! Stab Stabbity! Stab Stabbity! Stab Stabbity! Stab Stabbity! Stab Stabbity! Stab Stabbity! Stab Stabbity! Stab Stabbity! Stab Stabbity! Stab Stabbity! Stab Stabbity! Stab! Stab Stabbity! Stab Stabbity! Stab Stabbity! Stab Stabbity! Stab Stabbity! Stab Stabbity! Stab Stabbity! Stab Stabbity! Stab Stabbity! Stab Stabbity! Stab Stabbity! Stab Stabbity! Stab Stabbity! Stab Stabbity! Stab Stabbity! Stab Stabbity! Stab Stabbity! Stab Stabbity! Stab Stabbity! Stab Stabbity! Stab Stabbity! Stab Stabbity! Stab Stabbity! Stab Stabbity! Stab Stabbity! Stab Stabbity! Stabbity Stabbity! Stabbity! Stab stab stab! Stab Stabbity! Stab! Stabbity stab! Stab stab!

Clearly morsecode for "I think this idea is bad."

Well thanks for sharing your viewpoint on the matter. <_<
"Surely you didn't mean to press that button just then did you?"
"No, nor will i disarm the nukes."
"Oh well, I will have my Fighters shoot them down."
"Sure you will."
"Oh NOES, ITS BEEN PATCHED!!!"
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Wed Feb 07, 2007 4:46 pm

LordSturm wrote:Clearly morsecode for "I think this idea is bad."

Well thanks for sharing your viewpoint on the matter. <_<

No, it is code written in the programming language BrainStab. I believe it prints the alphabet.

xander
Allingstan_Empire
level1
level1

Postby Allingstan_Empire » Thu Feb 08, 2007 10:25 pm

if your going to say nothing but stab, at least give a reasonable.. reason. I think its a good idea, I really dont get why most people in these forums seem closed-minded. It would make much more sense if you could give them their targets THEN tell them to fire after. Its not like its impossible for the president to say "standby" and all he can say is "fire" and he has to order every submarine, silo, bomber, ect. very quickly so they all launch at once.
Last edited by Allingstan_Empire on Fri Feb 09, 2007 9:19 pm, edited 3 times in total.
NeSS
level1
level1

Postby NeSS » Fri Feb 09, 2007 2:14 am

You aren't the president. More a general. The president is the one moving the Defense Condition closer to war. (DefCon)
MoonHill
level3
level3

Postby MoonHill » Fri Feb 09, 2007 3:34 am

I think its a good idea, I really dont get y every1 in this forums seems closed-minded.

Sorry, you just lost any chance of me actually listening to what you have to say.
xyzyxx
level5
level5

Postby xyzyxx » Sun Feb 11, 2007 4:01 pm

Actually, I must agree. The actions of selecting targets and firing missiles is currently one command.

I think I should be able to tell my units to aim for the target I specify, but not fire until I say so.
Some people talk because they have something to say. Others talk because they have to say something.

Return to “Think Tank”