Some game ideas

Ideas for expansions and improvements to Defcon

Moderator: Defcon moderators

level0

Some game ideas

Postby 99k » Sat Nov 25, 2006 12:13 pm

Well i got some game mode ideas so...

Chesscon
This game mode is a bit like chess, each player takes a turn at moving a ship. So instead of 6 ships a fleet theres only one. It works like a chess board where certain ships can move a certain amount of squares. The idea is to get your ships close to the enemy silo. Ships can fight when there next to an enemy ship. So they have to get to the enemy silo and destory it to win but the enemy silo can defend itself.

Dead Commander
You are in control of a randomly chosen country in the middle of a war (randomly generated). The commander for your continent has just died and your in control, you may be losing the least or losing the most. The idea is to try and lose the least and get (or keep) losing the least. You could join in a diaster where you silos have little nukes left and you have heavy amounts of incoming enemies or join when one of the enemies have little silos left and youve just sent in lots of nukes.

Orders
In this one you have 10 minutes to place your untis and order them, then 10 minutes of battle, followed by more 10 minutes of planning. Time can be paused at the least and 4x faster at the most.

Just one unit
In this game mode you can choose wheter you just have fleets, nukes or airbases. Although you just have one type of unit you get 3x as much!

Well thats some of my ideas id like to share.
Angel of Death
level3
level3

Postby Angel of Death » Sat Nov 25, 2006 6:39 pm

Your Chesscon sounds just like an old SuperNES game called Super Conflict. You take turns moving your units in a turned based game. You can move units only so many spaces. Its still a fun game for a 16 bit graphic game. I play it on PC though an emulator I downloaded. You should check it out.
level0

Postby 99k » Sun Nov 26, 2006 8:32 pm

I thought thered be something like chesscon already out, after I thought about the idea I thought id get some comments about it.
shinygerbil
level5
level5
Location: Out, finding my own food. Also, doing the shinyBonsai Manoeuvre(tm)

Postby shinygerbil » Sun Nov 26, 2006 9:17 pm

Dead Commander sounds nice; I'm assuming you're essentially talking about pre-prepared scenarios (or even random ones.)

I think that would be the primary use of a save/load game function, which has been raised elsewhere millions of times. Perhaps, instead of making a separate mode of Scenarios, we could use a save game editor to edit scenarios to our satisfaction?

Either way, I would like to see that kind of thing in action.
Here is my signature. Make of it what you will.
The Wombat
level1
level1

Postby The Wombat » Mon Nov 27, 2006 4:23 pm

Only game mode i was interested in was "orders" sounds interesting because you have to pre-plan all attacks and just see how things turn out... are your allies really your friend or are they out to get you?
poorsod
level1
level1

Postby poorsod » Wed Nov 29, 2006 3:09 pm

Just one unit would not work because it would upset the rock-paper-scissors balance of the game, and I don't really understand Chesscon, but I really like the rest of the ideas. Especially the scenario one.
The turn-based one looks good too.
level0

Postby 99k » Thu Nov 30, 2006 11:08 pm

Thanks for the comments.

These are some game ideas I just thought of that sounded "cool" to me. I didn't think about them fully at the time :D
KingAl
level5
level5

Postby KingAl » Fri Dec 01, 2006 9:41 am

I like the idea of 'orders'. In normal play there reaches a point where you can't change your strategy significantly as you're reacting to what's happening. The 'orders' mode allows cool assessment of a situation from every angle, precipitating strategic changes and allowing you to decipher exactly what is happening. In many ways it is a more accurate reflection of the nature of chess (sans clock) than your chesscon suggestion. Obviously as a quick brainstorm the concept needs tweaking, but I like it.
The 'Dead Commander' mode is very much what you might expect from a more fully implemented 'single player campaign' - i.e. you are placed in specific scenarios and you have to work your way out of the situation.
wwarnick
level5
level5

Postby wwarnick » Sat Dec 02, 2006 5:35 am

With Just One Unit, you'd always pick silos because they're your only defense against nukes (unless you mean everyone gets the same unit).

wwarnick

Return to “Think Tank”