Running a server

Ideas for expansions and improvements to Defcon

Moderator: Defcon moderators

The_Mhor
level0

Running a server

Postby The_Mhor » Fri Nov 03, 2006 7:44 pm

I would like to leave my PC hosting games when I'm not going to be using it for a while. I know there's no dedicated server package, so I set myself as spectator in the game. Is there an option for the game to start when a certain minimum number of players are in and signal ready? I don't want to have to wait around for people to turn up so that I can click start.

If there isn't I would like to see it added in the future, assuming there are no plans for a dedicated server program. If it makes it easier for people to host the game when they're not there then there will be more servers...
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Fri Nov 03, 2006 8:28 pm

Umm... currently, the game starts as soon as all of the players in the game click ready. The host has nothing to do with it.

xander
The_Mhor
level0

Postby The_Mhor » Mon Nov 06, 2006 12:14 am

OK, you're right on that. I've set up and left a server twice this evening, and I don't have to click ready at all. But I can't stop a single person entering the game, clicking ready and being in the game on their own, at which point they quit and the server's wasted, a single CPU player doing nothing for hours. It's what's happened everytime I've left the server unattended...

So, my other question remains, how can I set a minimum number of players signalling ready before the game starts? I don't believe there's an option for this anywhere, and it does make it impossible to leave a server in the lobby, so it should exist. The only other option that could cover this is for a setting whereby any vacant slots can be filled by CPU players when the game begins to make up the numbers as it were, but that's not as good as two or more real players having to be in the game before it can begin...
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Mon Nov 06, 2006 2:17 am

Such an option does not exist.

xander

Return to “Think Tank”