Speed Defcon - new setting - slow speed...then fast.

Ideas for expansions and improvements to Defcon

Moderator: Defcon moderators

Mighty Santa
level2
level2

Speed Defcon - new setting - slow speed...then fast.

Postby Mighty Santa » Mon Oct 30, 2006 3:15 pm

I love the speed defcon style, its a crazy way to play...but there is a serious issue with it.

It is NOT a good thing to have 20x speed at first...

1. Placing units does take time. Even 5x speed is a bit tight at times. This is further an issue if you like to split your fleets into smaller groups of 3 or less.
2. If some bozo decides to keep inviting you for an alliance, you easily loose a few mins of time.

Further, if you have speed defcon, and 'variable units', you simply do not have time to buy units.

Suggestion...

As well as a 20x setting for speed defcon...

1x speed, until defcon'3. Then have the game jack the speed straight to x20 - as per normal.

This special setting would make it clear to all players the game is speed defcon, but that you do at least have the time to place units on the board, rather than the current insane rush.

Santa - its always best slow at first....then fast. :twisted:
4, 8, 15, 16, 23, 42
DueAccident
level3
level3

Postby DueAccident » Mon Oct 30, 2006 4:44 pm

I like it with speed x20. It is hard, and if you don't get all your units down, your problem :P Often a few people don't get all down, so it's not as if you are the only one at a disadvantage.
lilserf
level0

Postby lilserf » Mon Oct 30, 2006 4:49 pm

I would LOVE to see a feature allowing per-DEFCON speed settings in general.

I play with friends at work a lot, and we usually want to do a fairly quick game (30 mins or so).

I'd love to be able to set the speed like:
Defcon 5-4: 1x
Defcon 3-1: 5x

This would allow plenty of time for everyone to place units, but keep the game moving along after that.
mobius
level2
level2

Postby mobius » Mon Oct 30, 2006 4:57 pm

ive made the comment before in another thread but i think they should allow the host to select playing speeds in the setup, so for example the host can select x5 and x20 as the two available speeds or any combo. so if you like speed defcon you have plenty of time to deploy, or what you can have is an elimination process like DEFCON 5 is realtime, DEFCON 4 is x5, DEFCON 3 x10 and DEFCON 1 X20 or have it the other way around. either way alot of people are asking and talking about game speeds and more options should be available for it.
Mighty Santa
level2
level2

Postby Mighty Santa » Mon Oct 30, 2006 7:17 pm

DueAccident wrote:I like it with speed x20. It is hard, and if you don't get all your units down, your problem :P Often a few people don't get all down, so it's not as if you are the only one at a disadvantage.

Did you not read the bit about idiots asking to alliance during unit placement?

-----
For any idiot who wants to cause trouble, just do this...

Keep inviting players to join an alliance. You will easily eat into their time, and they'll probably not have time to place much of their fleet down.
-----

You don't like me saying that? Well, that IS the problem isn't it. Lets face the situation here please.
Even an innocent 'join alliance x' request is frequently screwing up players placing their units before defcon'3.

I've had a fair few games ruined because of players doing this. A simple Speed Defcon' setting of 1x, then 20x at defcon'3 should be made.

Hell, why can't that be made as the default ?
4, 8, 15, 16, 23, 42
DueAccident
level3
level3

Postby DueAccident » Mon Oct 30, 2006 7:53 pm

Yeh I did read that bit. I think the best way to combat that, would be to instead of having a massive window open in your face, have the Alliance tab flash, so then when you have a free second, open it up and see what he/she wants.
palehorse864
level2
level2

Postby palehorse864 » Tue Oct 31, 2006 11:12 pm

I would like a way to play a speed defcon game with a slow startup for people to place their units and then high speed for the rest of the game. I like to play speed defcon because I sometimes wish to have a game complete in about 15 minutes or less. I would like a mode where everyone can place their units intelligently but everything will finish more quickly after that. This would be the perfect mode for a fast game when you only have a little while to play.
bert_the_turtle
level5
level5

Postby bert_the_turtle » Wed Nov 01, 2006 12:40 am

Put me on the list of supporters of this idea. It would also be useful for normal games, for example allow 1x for defcon 5 and 4 to make alliance forming in random territory games less stressful, then force at least 5x afterwards.
wwarnick
level5
level5

Postby wwarnick » Wed Nov 01, 2006 7:42 am

I think it's a great idea. I don't play speed defcon much for that exact reason. I never have enough time to place my units properly.

DueAccident wrote:...instead of having a massive window open in your face, have the Alliance tab flash, so then when you have a free second, open it up and see what he/she wants.

Yes. Less distractions the better, especially in speed defcon.

wwarnick
theworldsend
level1
level1

Postby theworldsend » Thu Nov 02, 2006 12:43 am

mobius wrote:ive made the comment before in another thread but i think they should allow the host to select playing speeds in the setup, so for example the host can select x5 and x20 as the two available speeds or any combo. so if you like speed defcon you have plenty of time to deploy, or what you can have is an elimination process like DEFCON 5 is realtime, DEFCON 4 is x5, DEFCON 3 x10 and DEFCON 1 X20 or have it the other way around. either way alot of people are asking and talking about game speeds and more options should be available for it.
i totaly adgree with you on this but i mean speed defcon like someone else also said many people somtimes dont get thier units down it does add to it SPEED aspect maybe like 15x or something even i hate 1x tough thats to slow maybe like 5 as someone else also sugested.
blahdeblah
level1
level1

Postby blahdeblah » Wed Nov 08, 2006 2:36 pm

I agree with the idea of having defcon4+5 be configurable to go at a slightly slower speed than currently in speed defcon.
ERTO
level1
level1

Postby ERTO » Wed Nov 08, 2006 10:57 pm

I agree. Here's how it often goes now:

Game starts
Everyone furiously clicks randomly on the board to place their silos. Everyone furiously clicks out their radars and navies.
Defcon 3 starts
Half the players, who didn't get everything placed, drop out of the game
One or two complain and drop out as well
Remaining players duke it out with the CPU or the server shuts down

It doesn't always go like this, but you'd probably see WAY more people playing speed defcon if you actually gave players the opportunity to place all of their units before Defcon 3. As it is now, hardly anyone wants to play it because they know that people will drop out of the game.
Mighty Santa
level2
level2

Postby Mighty Santa » Wed Nov 08, 2006 11:12 pm

ERTO wrote:I agree. Here's how it often goes now:

etc etc
--------

Exactly. Speed Defcon is a superb style for a quick 15 minutes of madness, but the start is just not playable.

I'd say at present, around 35-40% of ALL speed defcon games are ruined because of the lack of time to place units.
--

Default settings - as I suggested, should be changed.
4, 8, 15, 16, 23, 42
Raygun
level1
level1

Postby Raygun » Tue Jan 23, 2007 10:51 pm

Excellent idea... setup is very important to many people, just as speed is to others (or both for yet other demographics). An option for normal time setup or variable speeds per defcon level, etc. should be considered by IV for a future patch.

As for those who don't like it... don't use it, or don't join the games that do (you can always ask or look before hitting READY).

Return to “Think Tank”