PlayStation3 version? Ps3 running Linux and all...

Ideas for expansions and improvements to Defcon

Moderator: Defcon moderators

New_user
level0

PlayStation3 version? Ps3 running Linux and all...

Postby New_user » Tue Oct 24, 2006 3:39 pm

I'm no expert but the PS3 will run Linux so would it not be possible for a PS3 version of Defcon?

I for one would rather play defcon from my couch. Also the game lasts longer since a PS3 does not change OS rendering games unplayable or so.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ps3#Yellow_Dog_Linux

(My first post :D )
New_user
level0

Postby New_user » Tue Oct 24, 2006 3:51 pm

Also, if downloadable from a service provided by Sony, more people will know of defcons existence, much like the Steam release of Darwinia.
alphager
level3
level3

Postby alphager » Tue Oct 24, 2006 4:35 pm

I doubt that it will be possible to play the Defcon linux-release on the PS3:
It is a completely different architecture (cell vs x86).

Btw: the PS3 does not run linux per se; it is possible to run linux on it, but normally the PS3 uses the proprietary integrated Sony-OS.
ghostDancer
level2
level2

Postby ghostDancer » Wed Oct 25, 2006 1:55 am

The PS3 will run linux the same way that XBOX360 runs windows, AFAIK the games don´t use the OS(maybe only a little microkernel that usually goes in the CD with the game bootloader), they access the hardware directly as always, like in NES, SNES and every console you know, so they can use it to the maximun, but if there's no game you have an operating system that allows you to use the console in many different ways. The original IBM PC , when it didn´t find a OS disk it ran a BASIC interpreter that had in the BIOS. The problem as Alphager said is that the CPU is completely different.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Here is a test to find whether your mission on earth is finished:

if you're alive, it isn't.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Leonaken
level3
level3

Postby Leonaken » Fri Oct 27, 2006 6:40 pm

Yea, Xbox 360 has a Windows kernel, PS3 and Wii will both have Linux kernels, too. But here's the issue with porting Defcon: hardware architectures make the porting a little difficult. It's not impossible or like decrypting the Enigma code, but it's a valid reason for Introversion (or more specifically John Knottenbelt who does all the porting work) not to work on bringing the game to the new platform.
shinygerbil
level5
level5
Location: Out, finding my own food. Also, doing the shinyBonsai Manoeuvre(tm)

Postby shinygerbil » Fri Oct 27, 2006 8:20 pm

Also, the Wii will have a PowerPC-based architecture. So, potentially, a ppc linux binary could make some headway...
Here is my signature. Make of it what you will.
LicensedMango
level0

Postby LicensedMango » Sun Oct 29, 2006 12:46 am

Personally, I think that IV should be concentrating more on the Mac and Linux versions...However, that does leave some room for porting onto consoles at a later date...As shinygerbil said, the Wii has PPC architecture, so some slight adjustments of the normal Mac PPC version, and it could work perfectly. As for the PS3, ive seen a few folding (protein folding) researchers have been developing thier software to run on Cell, so it shouldnt be impossible. Also, what about a version for Nintendo DS, Sony PSP, or Windows Hendheld Devices (PDAs)?
Artic
level0

Postby Artic » Sun Oct 29, 2006 1:43 am

I don't think DEFCON would sell or work well on the PS3, it wouldn't be the same. But a Nintendo DS version or even a PSP one could work, But I think we should stick to PC versions, mac windows linux.
shinygerbil
level5
level5

Postby shinygerbil » Sun Oct 29, 2006 2:15 am

The NDS/PSP idea is not new; moreover, it has been pretty much completely refuted. A Wii, with its "unconventional" control system, would have a chance of running Defcon; but, as you say, it's not likely to sell.

LicensedMango
level0

Postby LicensedMango » Sun Oct 29, 2006 10:15 am

Well....Getting it on a Xbox 360, wouldnt be as hard as you think...since Microsoft released XNA, the switch to Xbox 360 is now alot easier...
grim
level1
level1

Postby grim » Sun Oct 29, 2006 11:39 am

People already whine about "Steam players", can you imagine what "Console players" would be like? =)
shinygerbil
level5
level5

Postby shinygerbil » Sun Oct 29, 2006 8:31 pm

grim wrote:People already whine about "Steam players", can you imagine what "Console players" would be like? =)

Okay, now you've said that, I see a whole new slew of reasons not to port the game. :P

xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Mon Oct 30, 2006 4:21 pm

LicensedMango wrote:Well....Getting it on a Xbox 360, wouldnt be as hard as you think...since Microsoft released XNA, the switch to Xbox 360 is now alot easier...

As has been noted in the past, IV and MS have some kind of deal going on involving XBLA. No one here knows much about it (or those that do aren't talking), but the IV logo did appear on a banner for XBLA, so something must be going on. Perhaps Darwinia or Defcon will make an appearance.

xander
almo
level1
level1

Postby almo » Tue Oct 31, 2006 9:05 pm

Artic wrote:I don't think DEFCON would sell or work well on the PS3, it wouldn't be the same. But a Nintendo DS version or even a PSP one could work, But I think we should stick to PC versions, mac windows linux.

Why PSP but not PS3? I can see DS since it has the touch screen...
Almo!
Game Programmer - Behaviour Interactive

Return to “Think Tank”