Most desired patch upgrade?

Ideas for expansions and improvements to Defcon

Moderator: Defcon moderators

What feature would you most like to see implemented?

Better MOD support
12%
An organised Tournament
6%
Player Ranking/Matching system
33%
Map Editor / Scenario Editor
16%
Better AI Opponent
13%
Recording and Playback of games
19%

Total votes: 509
Kuth
level4
level4

Postby Kuth » Mon Oct 30, 2006 9:49 pm

I can understand why the ranking/matchup system is liked in this light (No droppers, spammers, or crybabies), and I can undetrstand learning from the pros...

....but personally? I think the tag of "being rated" is too high a price for these nice features.

If anything I think there should be special servers for ranked games, and the majority unranked games. I just don't like the idea of some special identity applied to my CD key/profile that marks me off for the many lost games I've played (Due to NOT BACKSTABBING!! or what have you). Likewise, I don't like the idea of being unable to start a clean slate from just changing your name. If this is implimented hard-core, then there's no changing your online identity outside of getting a new CD key.
mobius
level2
level2

Postby mobius » Tue Oct 31, 2006 5:56 pm

i voted for Player Ranking/Matching system but i also have a concern that having such a thing in place will make players to elitist and high ranking players would boot out low ranking players from the rooms. this happens in alot of game and all that the low ranking players would have left is matchmaking. though to give low ranking players a chance it could be that the players rank is shown in game and not in the lobby.

another idea that has been said spoken of, is to have ranked lobbys but instead of one lobby you could have lobbys for player upto a certain rank, so after 20 wins you goto tear two and so on. so your elitist players can play with like minded people and in doing this players will should always be in a postion to play and not worry about being booted.
dont flame me its only an idea.
MrBunsy
level5
level5

Postby MrBunsy » Tue Oct 31, 2006 6:18 pm

I think that would split the already fairly small community into an even smaller one, personnaly I think a built in IRC client (wormnet style) would help encourage more players and servers.
theworldsend
level1
level1

Ranking system

Postby theworldsend » Wed Nov 01, 2006 2:10 am

ranking systems are always a great idea for game of this kinda of caliber also a chat room public similar to Socom 2 should be used while finding games etc
Below Zero
level0

Postby Below Zero » Wed Nov 01, 2006 9:56 am

For me, the preferred order would be:

Better AI Opponent
I'm a single player oriented person, but this would also make the multiplayer fights with bots in them a lot more interesting.

Map / Scenario editor

Better MOD support

Recording / Playback of games

Player Ranking / Matching system

An organised Tournament
palehorse864
level2
level2

Postby palehorse864 » Fri Nov 03, 2006 11:38 pm

If possible, we shoudl remove the mod support option from the poll so that nobody else votes on it (It is being included in the next patch).
KingAl
level5
level5

Postby KingAl » Mon Nov 06, 2006 1:22 am

Just a thought that I mentioned a while ago - it'd be interesting to design evolving AIs and then run a tournament to find the best. Indeed, if a Dev-CD is ever released (or some other way to design AI), people could create an AI 'Big Blue'.
QuakeCH
level0

Postby QuakeCH » Sun Nov 12, 2006 8:25 pm

A ranking system is the most useful system.

So we can know the level of the opponents which is for me "quite" important.

The players can then use the stats and include it in the Signature for example in Forums.

They can make a Small Stats Listing on their websites. (For example I developed a Stats system for all Trackmania Nations websites which is used by 98% of the TMN Communities websites). For example the stats can be taken from an XML file system with a key.

All others are interest but the most interest for me is the Online/InGame stats.
----------------------
Quakenet Swiss - www.quakenet.ch
----------------------------
Eran-
level0

Postby Eran- » Sun Nov 12, 2006 8:36 pm

Solution to this. -.-
SODsniper
level3
level3

Postby SODsniper » Sun Nov 12, 2006 9:17 pm

I didn't want to read thru 7 pages, so apologies if this is a repeat...

A SADS system is what is needed...

Stand Alone Dedicated Server files will eliminate a lot of grief over home-spun servers.

SODsniper
SODsniper
www.specialopsdivision.com
Building A Better RavenShield Community......One Map At A Time.....
supam
level1
level1

Postby supam » Tue Nov 14, 2006 7:04 pm

SODsniper wrote:I didn't want to read thru 7 pages, so apologies if this is a repeat...

A SADS system is what is needed...

Stand Alone Dedicated Server files will eliminate a lot of grief over home-spun servers.

SODsniper

Agreed. I voted for player ranking but I would have voted for this if I could.

I'm guessing cost is prohibitive but as it stands now I reckon the server is shut down on every 3-4 games I play. Add that to lag due to lack of host bandwidth and it makes me a sad panda.
SODsniper
level3
level3

Postby SODsniper » Tue Nov 14, 2006 7:12 pm

Plus with a good SADS setup, GSPs will be more inclined to carry DefCon servers, thereby increasing the visibility AND viability of the game.

SODsniper
SODsniper

www.specialopsdivision.com

Building A Better RavenShield Community......One Map At A Time.....

KudrigY
level2
level2

Postby KudrigY » Sun Nov 19, 2006 5:53 pm

Agreed - dedicated servers are a must. I am getting tired of hosts killing games when they got their asses kicked.
flatrick
level2
level2

Postby flatrick » Tue Nov 21, 2006 3:29 am

it's been like over a month i haven't visited defcon...but nothing has apparently changed since then. still no ranking, or any improvement at all for that matter.
sad, really, because I liked this game.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Tue Nov 21, 2006 4:11 am

flatrick wrote:it's been like over a month i haven't visited defcon...but nothing has apparently changed since then. still no ranking, or any improvement at all for that matter.
sad, really, because I liked this game.

You seem to have missed the minor improvements to the server browser, and the added mod support.

xander

Return to “Think Tank”