Most desired patch upgrade?

Ideas for expansions and improvements to Defcon

Moderator: Defcon moderators

What feature would you most like to see implemented?

Better MOD support
12%
An organised Tournament
6%
Player Ranking/Matching system
33%
Map Editor / Scenario Editor
16%
Better AI Opponent
13%
Recording and Playback of games
19%

Total votes: 509
xander
level5
level5

Re: Most desired upgrade

Postby xander » Wed Oct 25, 2006 6:30 pm

Monsterburger wrote:a pause key would be good

There is a pause key, but it is disabled by default. It must be enabled by the server. Under the speed settings when you create a new game, set the slowest speed to pause.

xander
DueAccident
level3
level3

Postby DueAccident » Thu Oct 26, 2006 6:49 pm

GeneticFreak wrote:an IN-GAME (not mod) ability to play, create and share custom maps would be very nice, So we don't have to load up for example Indonesia map and make a date with other people to use the map and make a server just for us, instead... make it like how other RTS handle custom maps :) :) :) ingame not fiddling with mods :)

Agreed. I play Red Alert 2 from time to time, and that has a easy idea for custom maps. As soon as you launch the match, the map is sent to all players without it, and put in the right place for you. I'd quite like not to have to load up different maps and still not be able to really play against anyone I don't know.

For order of priority, I'd put:

1 - Better MOD support: As I said above.

2 - Map Editor / Scenario Editor: Would encourage a lot more people to work with Defcon, if there was an actual editor, and coupled with better mod support, it would bring more life to the game.

3 - Recording and Playback of games: Would be quite interesting, and potentially useful to a lot of people. I doubt I'd find it terribly useful, but I understand how other people would.

4 - Better AI Opponent: Self-explanitory really, just more of a challenge, and less predictable AI when someone drops from a game would be good :)

5 - An organised Tournament: Could be potentially fun, and semi-regular ones would be nice, such as once a month rather than just one offs.

6 - Player Ranking/Matching system: I am quite against this idea, becuase I feel that people wouldn't want to play against lower ranked people, thus meaning more people will leave when they see people ranked below a certain rank. I like the fact that I get a very wide range of skill when I play a game, where as this would make it so that people would only play similar ranks mostly.

Though I think it would be a great idea, coupled also with the tournament, that in tournament's, you come out with a rank, based on where you placed in it etc. So you could know from tournie to tournie that you'd have a progressing rank. Perhaps have it based on the number of positions in the tournie, say 1 - 32 places, and from that you'd have a place after each tournie, and then average that out to get an over all tournie rating.
Or perhaps have it assign a certain amount of points per place in the tourny, like 10 for 32nd place, 200 for 15th, 700 for 2nd, 1000 for 1st, etc. Getting more points per rank, and then keeping a total score overall.
daset
level3
level3

Postby daset » Sun Oct 29, 2006 4:50 am

I find a ranking/matching system best, but only if there is also an unranked metaserver as well for those who desire.

Also high up on my list is more modding support to maximize the longevity of the game.
Kuth
level4
level4

Postby Kuth » Sun Oct 29, 2006 7:51 am

I wonder why player ranking/matching is the highest so far. We already have droppers who quit the game if they're not winning, now we need powergamers who have medals to flaunt to show they're special? And elite leauges backed up by official stats?

I'm mod support/Map editing all the way.
shinygerbil
level5
level5
Location: Out, finding my own food. Also, doing the shinyBonsai Manoeuvre(tm)

Postby shinygerbil » Sun Oct 29, 2006 8:24 am

Having weighed things up, I'd also like to voice my displeasure at the idea of being forced to carry a rank around wherever I go. Make it optional! :)
Here is my signature. Make of it what you will.
Kuth
level4
level4

Postby Kuth » Sun Oct 29, 2006 9:21 am

shinygerbil wrote:Having weighed things up, I'd also like to voice my displeasure at the idea of being forced to carry a rank around wherever I go. Make it optional! :)

Are you being sarcastic?

I like the ideas that players are unranked. Players are players, and unless there's some universal ban on this guy for cheating (or other offenses), then there should be no reason to make him/her special just because he/she trounced a bunch of noobs, or won 18 tournaments by Eating, sleeping, and breathing defcon (hey, some people do it for teh w1n, not necissarily because they're fans of the game).

Modding on the other hand? Defcon is the canvas. Modders are the artists.
shinygerbil
level5
level5

Postby shinygerbil » Sun Oct 29, 2006 8:38 pm

shinygerbil wrote:Having weighed things up, I'd also like to voice my displeasure at the idea of being forced to carry a rank around wherever I go. Make it optional! :)

It's possible that you misread my post; or, then again, it's quite likely I have lost my grasp of simple communication. ;P

What I was trying to say is, a lot of people want a ranked system, so there is at least a chance of it happening; based on this assumption, I was asking for the ranks to be purely optional, as they are in, for example, Unreal Tournament. (I wouldn't mind seeing a few statistics, but obviously I don't want to play games full of 14-year olds who are not just winning, but _-=*w!nNiNGzZzZ*=-_ ... ;) )
Kuth
level4
level4

Postby Kuth » Sun Oct 29, 2006 11:11 pm

I didn't know how to read your post- in a sarcastic kind of maner or weather you actually agreed.

And I feel rankings and stats will be manditory, forcing us to wear these iron rings around our necks saying how bad we suck or how good we are. I, for one, enjoy feeling anonymous. And if it tracks I.P, changing your name offers no escape.

And on a hostile note, I wonder how many post-launchday kids and powergamers put their votes into the ranking deicision.
MrBunsy
level5
level5

Postby MrBunsy » Sun Oct 29, 2006 11:16 pm

IPs wouldn't work, they change willy nilly. Tieing it to the CD-Key would work, on the other hand.

I'm still thoroughly against the idea of ranks though, there have been a few speculations and accusations of cheating already, throw in ranks and I garentee we will see people try and cheat, even if the ranks are only optional. I'm worried that ranking could actually damage the game, rather than help it.
Kuth
level4
level4

Postby Kuth » Sun Oct 29, 2006 11:31 pm

A thing I find hilarious is the dispropotionate number of people who posted in this thread to votes. Something on the order of five people voiced their opinions for matching/ranking support, and only one or two said why.

xander was one of those.

So guys, why do you feel Matching/ranking is better than the other options? We're saying why we don't like it, why do you guys want it?
shinygerbil
level5
level5

Postby shinygerbil » Mon Oct 30, 2006 12:56 am

Kuth wrote:I didn't know how to read your post- in a sarcastic kind of maner or weather you actually agreed.

And I feel rankings and stats will be manditory, forcing us to wear these iron rings around our necks saying how bad we suck or how good we are. I, for one, enjoy feeling anonymous. And if it tracks I.P, changing your name offers no escape.

For the record, I totally agree with you, and I was trying to suggest making it just an option for those that want it - or even (although this is complicated) the option of recording some basic statistics (total kills/deaths,) or the full whack (i.e. scores and statistics etc) as a separate option.

Kuth wrote:And on a hostile note, I wonder how many post-launchday kids and powergamers put their votes into the ranking deicision.

*sigh* All of them..
DueAccident
level3
level3

Postby DueAccident » Mon Oct 30, 2006 1:39 am

I also quite like to feel anonymous, and to not really know who I am playing against. Ranking could and most probably will, in my opinion, do more harm to the game than good, since it will encourage cheating to get the uber leet rank, where as at the moment, there is no real incentive for it. You cheat, everyone thinks you are a tosser and avoids you in future.
It might bring a couple of extra people to the game, but really I'd rather not have uber powergamers if at all possible, since they just really take it too far.
The game is perfect as it is.
martin
level5
level5

Postby martin » Mon Oct 30, 2006 10:48 am

how about "ladder servers" only on these is your ladder ranking displayed and only on these does your ladder ranking increase/decrease? Thus you can choose whether to participate in the ladder/ranking thingy?
GENERATION 22:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Kuth
level4
level4

Postby Kuth » Mon Oct 30, 2006 11:48 am

I would rather see any tournament tracking done outside of the game- like on a website ala Beta tournament style.

Then again, I would rather wish the next patch has better mod/mapping support.

And am I out of place for thinking something's afoot with the voting system? Player ranking/matching is nearly twice the quantity of the next highest one. Surely that cannot be so, can it? Else where are the disucssion posts to back it up?

Just feels... hacked. Or something else. I'd think if everyone wanted this feature they'd post all about it. So far it's what, five? Six?
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Mon Oct 30, 2006 4:44 pm

Kuth wrote:A thing I find hilarious is the dispropotionate number of people who posted in this thread to votes. Something on the order of five people voiced their opinions for matching/ranking support, and only one or two said why.

xander was one of those.

So guys, why do you feel Matching/ranking is better than the other options? We're saying why we don't like it, why do you guys want it?

I have explained this in other threads, but not this one, I think: I like the idea of a rating system, because it can facilitate good matchups. I can play a game against someone with a much higher rating (or spectate in such a game) and perhaps learn something from their style. Also, someone with a high rating is someone who plays often enough to know what they are doing, as compared with a rank newb. There are times when I may want to play a newb, and there are times when I might want to play an expert. A rating system would make that possible. That being said, I agree that participation should be optional. There are Chess ratings, but you can play Chess without being rated. Defcon should be the same.

xander

Return to “Think Tank”