Most desired patch upgrade?

Ideas for expansions and improvements to Defcon

Moderator: Defcon moderators

What feature would you most like to see implemented?

Better MOD support
12%
An organised Tournament
6%
Player Ranking/Matching system
33%
Map Editor / Scenario Editor
16%
Better AI Opponent
13%
Recording and Playback of games
19%

Total votes: 509
DueAccident
level3
level3

Postby DueAccident » Tue Nov 21, 2006 5:20 pm

I'd say a browser that works is more important than some ranking system. :roll:
supam
level1
level1

Postby supam » Tue Nov 21, 2006 7:28 pm

xander wrote:
flatrick wrote:it's been like over a month i haven't visited defcon...but nothing has apparently changed since then. still no ranking, or any improvement at all for that matter.
sad, really, because I liked this game.

You seem to have missed the minor improvements to the server browser, and the added mod support.

xander

Mod support hasn't been added. It's still in beta.
Star*Dagger
level2
level2

Postby Star*Dagger » Tue Nov 21, 2006 8:20 pm

I must register my support for A RANKING AND LEAGUE SYSTEM.

For noobs and pros, it saves on wasted time. Im still pretty new, I really dont like playing against people who were here b4 launchday. And i dont think they would care to play me yet either, if i want to learn something ill spec their games (if i knew who the pros were.)

All this whining about the Elite etc is, in my opinion, a concern for those who have never been in the top echelons of a game. Having been there several times, I must tell you that it takes work and dedication. I also like to help others learn how to play, pros cant do that if they dont know who neeeds help.

Ranks lend structure and a longterm committment to a game. I would never consider a time spam more than 2 months in a game that didnt have a league, even though i bought this game, i still consider it only a few levels above those online web puzzle games, if IV wants to make real games they need to include real features. Rankings AND all of the other choices they mentioned are the hallmark of a AAA game's feature set.

Get to work IV.

Yours in Ranked Plasma,
Star*Dagger
"The Way of the Warrior is resolute acceptence of death" Musashi
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Tue Nov 21, 2006 8:30 pm

supam wrote:Mod support hasn't been added. It's still in beta.

Yes, but that means that it is being added...

xander
TheDan
level1
level1

Postby TheDan » Wed Nov 22, 2006 4:27 pm

Star*Dagger wrote:Rankings AND all of the other choices they mentioned are the hallmark of a AAA game's feature set.

Get to work IV.

I bet phrases like "Get to work IV." are just what they like to see from players :roll:

However, if you do fancy a ranking go to Defconmatch
maxmagmilch
level0

Postby maxmagmilch » Thu Nov 23, 2006 11:31 pm

some kind of teamscore while playing a 3 v 3 / 2 v 2 v 2 / ... like teamdeathmatch in quake3.
the ally scores in-game would be very nice
Dobralov
level1
level1

Postby Dobralov » Sun Nov 26, 2006 11:29 pm

How about making the game freaking work for all of these poor souls that shelled out 19.99 for a broken game?

http://forums.introversion.co.uk/defcon ... php?t=2053

-Dobralov
(sorry for the bitterness...I love this game but can't play it...)
Dobralov
Arrozal Zipoetes
level1
level1

Postby Arrozal Zipoetes » Mon Nov 27, 2006 2:20 am

I cast my vote for a ranking system, although now I wish I had read the thread throughly because some very valid points were raised.

Just look at the difference between playing BF1942 or Vietnam when compared to playing BF2 or 2142. Look at CS ffs. People start to take stuff too seriously, you attract power-gamers and 1337ers just waiting to get their e-peens out with a sig stuffed with statistics.

Some people may want that, but it my opinion it would be ruining the spirit of DEFCON and betraying it's original nature as a game. Everyone dies, get it? There are no winners to this game, just people who lose the least.

Since I normally play MMORPGs, I play DEFCON after work or just to chill out with a brewski and think about stuff. I don't want it needlessly hyped up by people trying to gather statistics so they can make a bigger mark on the forums and isolate themselves from other newer/older players. From what I've seen, we don't have this yet and things seem to be going okay aside from a few hiccups. Why would we want to bring this upon the community?

DEFCON is something very unique, something special. Yes there is room for improvement, and IV is definately working their best on it and positively interacting with the community. Whatever comes in the next patch, I'm hoping it will be something like a map editor or mod support to support the DEFCON community.

Strike one vote off the "rank" option plz. :|
"Zhaskevia"

"So long as humanity remains, there will be war."
Spitfire
level1
level1

Postby Spitfire » Sun Dec 03, 2006 8:28 pm

Instead of making a whole new thread, I though I wold just post here.

I want a friends list! I wanna keep track of people that I have good games with. I seem to see the same people over and over again anyway. I want to be able to see if any of them are online and which servers they are in.
ShadowFox37
level1
level1

Postby ShadowFox37 » Thu Dec 07, 2006 12:09 am

The point raised about "Power gamers" coming to DEFCON is indeed a very valid argument.

That being said, I still think a ranking system would be nice, somewhat like the way it's implemented in America's Army. It has a very detailed stats tracking system. However, it's impossible to get those stats to spit out in a sig, so it's all private unless you tell somebody. Something like that would be very nice and much appreciated. However, I don't know exactly HOW this will actually be done seeing that there's no real profile system running in DEFCON. Registrations and passwords would be a nice touch but I'm not sure if that's absolutely necessary.
Ebola
level3
level3

Postby Ebola » Fri Dec 08, 2006 6:33 pm

Just to screw up my post per day ratio a bit more.

My most desired patch upgrade is a Linux port, honest.
Mighty Santa
level2
level2

Postby Mighty Santa » Fri Dec 08, 2006 10:15 pm

I've been begging for a map editor since day -30 (yeah, I'm old school defcon ;) ) . However, the mod thing looks like it might be part of a map editor anyway?

The two are very much linked, right ?

For defcon to survive into the long term, we need a map editor. I've a fair few ideas already, but I am not a coder/programmer, so I am awaiting a semi-user friendly tool to do this.

I have high hopes for the Editor...by Springtime

Santa - legendary map maker for Star Trek Armada
4, 8, 15, 16, 23, 42
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Fri Dec 08, 2006 10:28 pm

Mighty Santa wrote:I've been begging for a map editor since day -30 (yeah, I'm old school defcon ;) ) . However, the mod thing looks like it might be part of a map editor anyway?

The two are very much linked, right ?

For defcon to survive into the long term, we need a map editor. I've a fair few ideas already, but I am not a coder/programmer, so I am awaiting a semi-user friendly tool to do this.

I have high hopes for the Editor...by Springtime

Santa - legendary map maker for Star Trek Armada

Have you tried zanzer7's mod suite?

xander
Mighty Santa
level2
level2

Postby Mighty Santa » Fri Dec 08, 2006 11:40 pm

No, I've not tried it, but then, I don't do mods.

I make maps. I'm good at concepts, but I simply can't be be doing coding stuff.
--
As it is, I can't play the game anyway, since am awaiting to build new computer that can run the game.

Santa - not Modular
4, 8, 15, 16, 23, 42
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Fri Dec 08, 2006 11:44 pm

Mighty Santa wrote:No, I've not tried it, but then, I don't do mods.

I make maps. I'm good at concepts, but I simply can't be be doing coding stuff.
--
As it is, I can't play the game anyway, since am awaiting to build new computer that can run the game.

Santa - not Modular

With Defcon, making a map == making a mod. zanzer7's modding suite contains a map editor. You should check it out.

xander

Return to “Think Tank”