Placing cities...

Ideas for expansions and improvements to Defcon

Moderator: Defcon moderators

Alyssa
level1
level1

Placing cities...

Postby Alyssa » Sun Oct 15, 2006 6:20 am

In another thread, someone asked for random cities and city sizes (can't find it now though).

What I think would be cool would be to allow placing cities just like other units.

Of course, there would have to be a way to prevent bunching them together between silos or something, but that could be easily avoided by giving them a "nearest allowed city" radius (which could vary based on the city size and work like the other unit radii but only affect other cities).
grim
level1
level1

Postby grim » Sun Oct 15, 2006 6:27 am

It's a nice idea but I think people would end up spending too much time placing cities and trying to find their opponents population. It takes me long enough just to place my fleets and structures! =)
RedMenace
level2
level2

Postby RedMenace » Sun Oct 15, 2006 6:38 am

I feel that pre-positioned cities are important to gameplay. Whatever territory you are in control of, you must accomodate for its problems.
almo
level1
level1

Postby almo » Sun Oct 15, 2006 1:04 pm

Yeah, knowledge of where the cities are is fundamental to gameplay. They are the targets worth points, and there's no way to hide where they are. This makes sense from a realism perspective (like you wouldn't know where a city was), and from a gameplay perspective. Defcon is not fundamentally a game built on stealth; subs are its stealth element.
Almo!
Game Programmer - Behaviour Interactive
Krytoss
level1
level1

Postby Krytoss » Sun Oct 15, 2006 5:51 pm

besides, it'd be kinda bizarre to see Tokyo 100 miles inland, or New York up in Alaska
Alyssa
level1
level1

Postby Alyssa » Sun Oct 15, 2006 10:16 pm

almo wrote:Yeah, knowledge of where the cities are is fundamental to gameplay.

I wasn't suggesting it for the sake of hiding cities from opponents. Ideally, they would still appear on the map as icons that are sized according to their population. They would just be in different places and would require new strategies for attack to be formed at the start of each round.
It's a nice idea but I think people would end up spending too much time placing cities and trying to find their opponents population. It takes me long enough just to place my fleets and structures! =)

There could be a city placement round that isn't included in the timed round, and placing military units would come after that.

Think of it as a "what if things developed differently?" type of situation.
Typhoon
level1
level1

Postby Typhoon » Sun Oct 15, 2006 11:00 pm

I too think it would look a little odd, plus it'd surely add quite a bit of time to the set up phase?

At the mo, I can just about get all of my units placed (at 5* speed) by the start of Defcon 3.

Return to “Think Tank”