Landattack and Defconchange

Ideas for expansions and improvements to Defcon

Moderator: Defcon moderators

JonBellew
level0

Postby JonBellew » Mon Oct 16, 2006 2:46 pm

just out of curiosity do any of you know how the DEFCON system worked during the cold war? You don't start a countdown to certain states of DEFCON you change it based on the status of the world. Hence "BRING us to DEFCON 1" I think you should be able to change your DEFCON level like you could in the real world
yop
level1
level1

Postby yop » Mon Oct 16, 2006 5:24 pm

blackwhitehawk wrote:
yop wrote:i'm 100% against all your ideas

please expain why your 100% against all his ideas or are you just a mindless fellower.

first a defcon game is pretty short several hours at most, meaning that any landbase units like tanks he is talking about won't be able to go very far
second you don't have land access to the whole world
third at defcon 4 he talks about sending fighters but they won't be able to attack while they can be attacked by sea units, i mean WTF?
fourth And even though you might not like this idea: I still like the basics of my ideas and i would like to see some of it ingame , yeah right...
fifth I like the game as it is atm and I think a vast majority do like it
Is that enough or I'm still a mindless follower?
Dunblas
level1
level1

Postby Dunblas » Mon Oct 16, 2006 6:08 pm

just out of curiosity do any of you know how the DEFCON system worked during the cold war? You don't start a countdown to certain states of DEFCON you change it based on the status of the world. Hence "BRING us to DEFCON 1" I think you should be able to change your DEFCON level like you could in the real world

Did you know only the USA uses a Defcon-system? And that the Defcon ingame is a countdown? and that the USA probably still uses it today? and you should make your own topic about this? :P

I choose both of them :P :D
Mclucky
level1
level1

Postby Mclucky » Mon Oct 16, 2006 6:18 pm

mmm, to be honest, I like the idea of having ships be able to (at a reasonably short range) bombard your coastal stuff. Problem is though, it really wouldn't do much, I can't see the justification otherwise than it looking pretty cool. :(

Unless the bombardment had nothing but a "suppression" effect, silos wouldn't be able to fire nukes (but still fire AA), air bases couldn't launch fighters or bombers, radar dishes wouldn't work. Could be interesting as a mod but not as a core change to the game.

Things about land-based units though, unless everyone sprinted as fast as an olympic athlete they wouldn't get very far, even by drivingand then going on foot. Then there's the whole logistical nightmare of the terrain, would going through the himalayas slow down your armour?

DEFCON is primarily a game about nuking the hell out of innocent people. I like it that way. :D
Daxx
level2
level2

Postby Daxx » Mon Oct 16, 2006 6:30 pm

JonBellew wrote:just out of curiosity do any of you know how the DEFCON system worked during the cold war? You don't start a countdown to certain states of DEFCON you change it based on the status of the world. Hence "BRING us to DEFCON 1" I think you should be able to change your DEFCON level like you could in the real world

Oh dear, I think you've missed the point of the countdown. So what prevents people from switching to DEFCON 1 straight away and nuking the crap out of everyone in the first minute or two?

This is a game, not a simulation. Setting your own DEFCON levels would not be fun.
Strange game. The only winning move is not to play.
blackwhitehawk
level2
level2

Postby blackwhitehawk » Mon Oct 16, 2006 7:16 pm

yop wrote:
blackwhitehawk wrote:

please expain why your 100% against all his ideas or are you just a mindless fellower.

first a defcon game is pretty short several hours at most, meaning that any landbase units like tanks he is talking about won't be able to go very far
third at defcon 4 he talks about sending fighters but they won't be able to attack while they can be attacked by sea units, i mean WTF?
fourth And even though you might not like this idea: I still like the basics of my ideas and i would like to see some of it ingame , yeah right...

thats enough i just wanted you to expain your self in stead of just saying something sucks in 1 sentuce =)
s1w
level0

Postby s1w » Tue Oct 17, 2006 12:05 am

game is made as it should be: global, quick and not to much philosophy. Including land units - not mentioning that this idea is beyond main concept of the game - would make the clarity of the map dirty, and much biger latency on servers.

it is like.. i play chess for a long time and it become boring me so i found an idea to include new figures into game.. lol. Not important is quantity of pawns, but to use the best strategy u can imagine using availible elements. Chess is 6000 - 8000 years old, many people loose their life for it while that game has only 32 figures..
blackwhitehawk
level2
level2

Postby blackwhitehawk » Tue Oct 17, 2006 12:30 am

s1w wrote:game is made as it should be: global, quick and not to much philosophy. Including land units - not mentioning that this idea is beyond main concept of the game - would make the clarity of the map dirty, and much biger latency on servers.

it is like.. i play chess for a long time and it become boring me so i found an idea to include new figures into game.. lol. Not important is quantity of pawns, but to use the best strategy u can imagine using availible elements. Chess is 6000 - 8000 years old, many people loose their life for it while that game has only 32 figures..

6000-8000 years for 31 figures think how much defcon could do if it had 32 figures to=) right now it only has 5 attacking units :wink:
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Tue Oct 17, 2006 12:37 am

blackwhitehawk wrote:6000-8000 years for 31 figures think how much defcon could do if it had 32 figures to=) right now it only has 5 attacking units :wink:

Actually, if the analogy is to be followed faithfully, Defcon has 36 naval units, 6 silos, 7 RADAR, 4 airbases, 80 fighters, 44 bombers, and more than 100 nukes per player. Those 32 chess figures are 16 pawns, 4 knights, 4 bishops, 4 rooks, 2 queens, and 2 kings.

xander
Dunblas
level1
level1

Postby Dunblas » Tue Oct 17, 2006 12:37 am

s1w wrote:game is made as it should be: global, quick and not to much philosophy. Including land units - not mentioning that this idea is beyond main concept of the game - would make the clarity of the map dirty, and much biger latency on servers.

I play Chess too. And although lots of player still play the "normal" version, some players like to play rapid different versions of the game, like Buckhouse and Coin-chess
Dr. Strangelove
level1
level1

Postby Dr. Strangelove » Tue Oct 17, 2006 7:36 am

dunblas. im glad all these people shot down your terrible idea before i even had to dirty my hands.

thanks guys for protecting the sanctity of this wonderful game.

and dunblas, you get an A for effort. you deserve a cookie
How I learned to stop worrying and love The Bomb.

tired of your old music? tell me about it! ill find you something new, or my parents didn't name me for a truckers life!
scholt
level1
level1

Postby scholt » Tue Oct 17, 2006 7:59 am

Dunblas wrote:I play Chess too. And although lots of player still play the "normal" version, some players like to play rapid different versions of the game, like Buckhouse and Coin-chess

on top you see 4 buttons to set the game speed :wink:
and beside that:
Features
Office mode - permits 8 hour games, and DEFCON can be minimised to the Windows taskbar with a double-esc!
Game modes - 5 pre-programmed game scenarios including.
Speed Defcon: It's all over in 15 minutes - instinctive and brutal
Diplomacy: All players start in the same alliance - how long will it last?
Big World: The world is twice as large - for those who like a long game
GeneticFreak
level3
level3

Postby GeneticFreak » Tue Oct 17, 2006 9:27 am

blackwhitehawk wrote:
yop wrote:
blackwhitehawk wrote:

thats enough i just wanted you to expain your self in stead of just saying something sucks in 1 sentuce =)

mommy i can quote a quote that has a quote inside a quote
Blessed be the LORD my strength which teacheth my hands to war and my fingers to fight
yop
level1
level1

Postby yop » Tue Oct 17, 2006 11:59 am

GeneticFreak wrote:
blackwhitehawk wrote:
yop wrote:
blackwhitehawk wrote:

mommy i can quote a quote that has a quote inside a quote

really ?
Dunblas
level1
level1

Postby Dunblas » Tue Oct 17, 2006 12:54 pm

and dunblas, you get an A for effort. you deserve a cookie

Thanks you, this is probably the most invented idea for Land-units. If this doesn't work, it will probably never work at all.

Return to “Think Tank”