Page 2 of 2

Posted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 11:28 pm
by Spacemonkey
No, pliots derseve to go down in flames for their country, don't take that right away them.

Posted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 2:23 am
by scholt
Alyssa wrote:What would be the harm in displaying it for the current airbase at least when launching? It would be accurate enough if considered a "guaranteed safe distance without combat".

If they decide to stay and fight, that's fine with me, but it would be really handy when scouting over an empty ocean. I can't imagine many pilots are eager to fly suicide scout missions.


I totally agree, it would be nice to have a safe zone or circle while launching aircraft (considering to get back where they launched), especially for bombers because of their large combat range. But the problem I see is that bombers are launching their weapons from a larger distance than fighters.

So the "value" of a "safe circle" should be something like: launch, fly to target, shoot (once), fly back and land

Posted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 7:23 am
by Dr. Strangelove
nobody seems to get that this is a totally unheeded addition to gameplay. micromanagment is key, we all know that know, right? one does have a fuel range circle already. that is the range the fighter can go in any direction, and shrinks over time

does anyone know how many minutes a fighter can stay up?

at any rate, its pretty eay to keep track of your fighters and send them back to home when their max range radius decreases so that if one does not send them for home, they wont make it.

its a simple exersice, and if you really want, ill demonstrate in a game for you.

Posted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 7:22 pm
by jfore88
The answer to this is simple (like the answers to many of the problems you people bicker about).

Simply make another circle showing 40% of the max fuel range (the extra 10% is used as a reserve, so the plane has time to turn around). Also, make an option to not show this new circle in case some people don't want to see it because they think it clutters their screen.

See how simple that is? You don't have to perform some complex calculation (although computers are extremely good at that), and you don't need to worry about things cluttering up your screen. Sure, the 10% reserve might not be the most accurate way to account for turning, but it should work 99% of the time (if it doesn't then the number can always be changed, although I think that 10% would probably be an overestimate of the amount of fuel it needs to turn).

Posted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 7:37 pm
by Rosti
Whilst such a 'feature' might be vaguely handy, as noted by others already (chiefly xander, mind), it isn't the be-all and end-all of safety to fly within a 40% (or similar) distance of max range. Ignoring the fact that you might lose all flight decks/airfields during flight, in my time I've lost a few fighters/bombers to moving aircraft carriers - they crept out of the plane's fuel range. Careless, I know, but I've learnt and really, once you're used to the whole "planes need somewhere ready to land or they die" thing, you're all set to play.
The game is too dynamic to bother with anything more than what exists (for planes, at least) at present. Which is to say I wouldn't mind the cousin of this idea to be implemented (potential nuke arc estimates on launch).

Posted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 10:09 pm
by scholt
Rosti wrote:Whilst such a 'feature' might be vaguely handy, as noted by others already (chiefly xander, mind), it isn't the be-all and end-all of safety to fly within a 40% (or similar) distance of max range. Ignoring the fact that you might lose all flight decks/airfields during flight

nobody denies that you could loose that airfield/carrier, it is simple additional information which I consider as useful


Rosti wrote: in my time I've lost a few fighters/bombers to moving aircraft carriers - they crept out of the plane's fuel range. Careless, I know, but I've learnt and really, once you're used to the whole "planes need somewhere ready to land or they die" thing, you're all set to play.

nobody denies that, but it is still some additional information... and by the way carriers carry 2 bombers



Rosti wrote:The game is too dynamic to bother with anything more than what exists (for planes, at least) at present. Which is to say I wouldn't mind the cousin of this idea to be implemented (potential nuke arc estimates on launch).

well, it would be terrible if you want to launch a plane and you have about 20 circles marking the range of something.... but is simply addidional information for a safe zone... changing the target-cursor's color (or color shade or something) would also do it so no circle is needed :)