This suggestion doesn't suck! Honest!

Ideas for expansions and improvements to Defcon

Moderator: Defcon moderators

GeneticFreak
level3
level3

Postby GeneticFreak » Tue Oct 10, 2006 5:46 am

Starcraft doesn't have equal units and its very balanced :coal: or is strategy and tactis not part of the player there?
Using your little advantage to counter their little advantage adds more need for strategy and tactis IMO.
I'm just trying to add a little extra depth without altering the simple intuitive interface or game goal.

People won't suddenly win every game they play because their battleships have 1% more chance to hit.
Hegemon Hog
level2
level2

Postby Hegemon Hog » Tue Oct 10, 2006 8:43 am

True, but +1% to hit would be totally worthless anyway (okay, 99% worthless :wink: ).

There's nothing wrong with your general notion, GeneFreak. It would be cool to see how such a system would work out in the context of Defcon but I don't see it happening in any official release (mod anyone?).
Dr. Strangelove
level1
level1

Postby Dr. Strangelove » Wed Oct 11, 2006 2:49 am

starcraft is a strategic game? i hear an oxymoron.

every game of sc i ever played, or saw played was just a rush to build the most upgraded units the fastest.

sure maybe he had some strategy when he set up his resourcers... but not too much in combat.

DEFCON is almost perfect. fix dem ole bugs and give us a tool to make marks on the map so our allies can see strategy and i will actually fall to my knees and weep with the brilliance that is DEFCON.

change shit like the fact that the only difference in capabilities is the differing brainpower and reasoning skills of the players and i'll really weep, but for different reasons.
How I learned to stop worrying and love The Bomb.

tired of your old music? tell me about it! ill find you something new, or my parents didn't name me for a truckers life!
Kuth
level4
level4

Postby Kuth » Wed Oct 11, 2006 3:36 am

GeneticFreak wrote:Starcraft doesn't have equal units and its very balanced :coal: or is strategy and tactis not part of the player there?
Using your little advantage to counter their little advantage adds more need for strategy and tactis IMO.
I'm just trying to add a little extra depth without altering the simple intuitive interface or game goal.

People won't suddenly win every game they play because their battleships have 1% more chance to hit.

This is NOT STARCRAFT.

If anything, this is six-way internet chess with nukes. All sides have the same peices, though we may see them as different units, nothing more.

So yeah, we could have graphic changes, but that would be like bringing your own set to the six-way chess war. They look different, but they behave the same.

But you're proposing something like "Well, MY PAWNS need to be captured TWICE in order to be removed from the board! Oh, and my casltes can hop over any squares they choose."
GeneticFreak
level3
level3

Postby GeneticFreak » Wed Oct 11, 2006 5:12 am

Kuth wrote:But you're proposing something like "Well, MY PAWNS need to be captured TWICE in order to be removed from the board! Oh, and my casltes can hop over any squares they choose."

Stop exaggerating. All I propose was a 1-2% difference :roll:
Last edited by GeneticFreak on Wed Oct 11, 2006 5:43 am, edited 2 times in total.
Blessed be the LORD my strength which teacheth my hands to war and my fingers to fight
prozachar
level1
level1

Postby prozachar » Wed Oct 11, 2006 5:22 am

GeneticFreak wrote:Stop exaggerating. All I propose was a 1-2% difference.

If the change is so insignificant, why bother at all?

And I doubt the changes you provided in your example would be small. I only see two that I would ever want to have in comparison to the others (tougher bombers and longer SAM ranges). This means that, if I'm playing to win (which would be all the times I'm not playing to learn), I'm never going to join a game where I can't get one of those two abilities. This is a problem.
GeneticFreak
level3
level3

Postby GeneticFreak » Wed Oct 11, 2006 5:44 am

Insignificant individually but wont be insignificant en masse / with allies

Ok if you disagree with the units idea, how about making all 6 continents same sized, same distance from eachother, same city locations in relevant to the continent borders. Like a hectagram set. Then that would be really fair 6 way chess. I mean, I don't want your King to be located on the far away side surrounded by 12 pawns when my King is located on the edge along with 8 pawns.
Blessed be the LORD my strength which teacheth my hands to war and my fingers to fight
Kuth
level4
level4

Postby Kuth » Wed Oct 11, 2006 6:15 am

it has been proven that the map can be changed and the game still played.

So, hop to it then! We'll play Defcon just fine as it is.
Dr. Strangelove
level1
level1

Postby Dr. Strangelove » Wed Oct 11, 2006 6:56 am

damn right kuth.

DEFCON is just dandy
How I learned to stop worrying and love The Bomb.

tired of your old music? tell me about it! ill find you something new, or my parents didn't name me for a truckers life!
GeneticFreak
level3
level3

Postby GeneticFreak » Wed Oct 11, 2006 7:07 am

If you think I'm complaining because I can't play, lets do a 1v1 :P
Kuth
level4
level4

Postby Kuth » Wed Oct 11, 2006 4:48 pm

No, I think you're complaining because you have this incomprehensible need to change something that's damn well near perfect as it is. :P
yop
level1
level1

Postby yop » Wed Oct 11, 2006 6:55 pm

GeneticFreak wrote:Insignificant individually but wont be insignificant en masse / with allies

Ok if you disagree with the units idea, how about making all 6 continents same sized, same distance from eachother, same city locations in relevant to the continent borders. Like a hectagram set. Then that would be really fair 6 way chess. I mean, I don't want your King to be located on the far away side surrounded by 12 pawns when my King is located on the edge along with 8 pawns.

yeah lets change world's geography =)
btw did you meant hexagon ?

Return to “Think Tank”