Penalize Griefers That Leave In-Game

Ideas for expansions and improvements to Defcon

Moderator: Defcon moderators

mstcr0w5429
level2
level2

Penalize Griefers That Leave In-Game

Postby mstcr0w5429 » Mon Oct 09, 2006 12:22 am

It is very common to be playing DEFCON, and a player, often the host, will leave the game, and killing the gameserver if they are hosting. They mostly do this when they are losing. I suggest that each player be tracked by number and percentages of disconnects in game, both as a player and hosting player, so that other players are not discouraged from playing the game due to other's bad behavior. By seeing which players are most likely to leave in-game, other players will be able to avoid them, and the griefers will become less common as more people avoid them.
Feud
level5
level5

Postby Feud » Mon Oct 09, 2006 12:28 am

The problem I have with this is that people can't always help it when they disconnect. I have a somewhat wonkey connection (apartment complex wi-fi system) that will sometimes drop me for no apparent reason. I've also had games with just the AI playing where it (somehow) lost the connection. While stat tracking would be nice, for self interest alone I would have to disagree.
ANTIDEAD
level0

Postby ANTIDEAD » Mon Oct 09, 2006 12:36 am

I too wish there was a solution to people who disconnect as soon as they start losing. For instance in a game today this guy joined the game, then after we started playing he said "this gamemode sucks" and disconnected, leaving europe controlled by AI. Pretty annoying sometimes.

However I don't think recording how many times a player has dropped will solve this. I've had to drop from games for different reasons, and sometimes you just have to leave in a hurry. Another thing... if everyone else drops and you're left playing against AI, you shouldn't be penalized for leaving and finding a game with humans.
.78 Chance
level0

Postby .78 Chance » Mon Oct 09, 2006 1:21 am

Unfortunately, I also agree that a stat-tracking for drops wouldn't be the best idea. ONLY because, based off my own misfortunes, I get a bad feeling that many otherpeople do not drop deliberately.
I've had a number of times where Defcon has crashed on me for no particular reason-- in fact, I'll be right in the middle of conferring with an ally as to our tactics when I get a windows error screen. WTF. Great-- now I look like a huge douchebag AND have to play through the first 10 minutes a game again.

While a stat-tracker would be nice, I don't think enough of the bugs (memory leak...) have been worked out to implement something like that so soon.
Perhaps in the future it might be more reasonable.

Though, in theory a "goodlist" might work quite a bit better. But, I'm only speculating.
Chezzbian
level1
level1

Postby Chezzbian » Mon Oct 09, 2006 10:33 pm

maybe the answer is a player card - try to go for a handicap.

Dropouts lose ratings, players can get ratings dependent on game type (keeping cool in diplomacy etc)

It seems to work on Xbox live (crosses self rapidly).
yop
level1
level1

Postby yop » Tue Oct 10, 2006 2:29 am

fix the game first, then add new stuff =)
graphain
level1
level1

Postby graphain » Tue Oct 10, 2006 8:55 am

Distinguish leavers from d/cs. Have metered tournament games that register disconnects - if you have a shoddy connection don't play these games.
LordSturm
level4
level4

Postby LordSturm » Tue Oct 10, 2006 9:26 am

Haha, i just played a good game, and to my surprise no one left.
Essentially, any game that consists SOLELY of human players, is a GOOD GAME.

So PLEASE don't leave games. :P
"Surely you didn't mean to press that button just then did you?"
"No, nor will i disarm the nukes."
"Oh well, I will have my Fighters shoot them down."
"Sure you will."
"Oh NOES, ITS BEEN PATCHED!!!"
dries
level0

Postby dries » Tue Oct 10, 2006 11:04 am

giving the host the ability to kick CPU-players would be a good start
i usually dont mind much when a player drops, but the CPU who replaces him can be a real pain in the ass

Return to “Think Tank”