Bad suggestions

Ideas for expansions and improvements to Defcon

Moderator: Defcon moderators

Kuth
level4
level4

Postby Kuth » Wed Oct 11, 2006 8:21 pm

Thought I'd post this here to shore up my arguement against Continent-specific unit graphics (or how I'd think they'd be a bad idea once implimented)

I like the aesthetic idea also, but I'm afraid people would want x and x continent units better because, statisticly, they were better.

Take for example the B52 v. the TU-95 bear. In terms of maximum speed, the B52's max speed is 1,000 km/h, while the TU-95 goes 925 km/h max. From this, players would argue north american bombers should go faster than russian ones.

SSBNs, as another, The Delta III has 16 Nuclear missiles and goes 24knots submerged. The American Ohio (in SSBN config) has 24 nuclear missiles and manages 20knots. Therefore, American submarines must hold more nukes while Russian submarines go faster.

Further on this, the PLA-N "Xia" Class SSBN (of which there is only one) carries 16 nukes, 22knots submerged. Thus it should go as fast as the american submarine and carry as many as the Russian one, but Asian players can only have one (since India, to my knowledge, doesn't operate any SSBNs)

My examples above are what I WOULD NOT LIKE TO SEE if continent-specific icons are created. However, how likely do you think it will be that somoene raises this arguement...especially from folks wanting to turn Defcon into a sim?
flatrick
level2
level2

Postby flatrick » Wed Oct 11, 2006 11:15 pm

lame post altogether..
Kuth
level4
level4

Postby Kuth » Thu Oct 12, 2006 3:41 am

flatrick wrote:lame post altogether..

Thank you for your constructive contribution to this discussion!
Corbeau
level1
level1

Postby Corbeau » Thu Oct 12, 2006 3:53 am

Hmm. I basically agree with the points in the original post. However, I don't agree that features/changes shouldn't be considered simply because they could lead to bad changes in the future. Evaluate each change individually, like I believe IV is capable of doing, and the game will be fine.

The reason I dislike the idea of individual factional unit graphics is that it damages the simplicity and elegance of the game.
"Rule #13: do onto others." - The Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates
Kuth
level4
level4

Postby Kuth » Thu Oct 12, 2006 3:56 am

That's one reason I'm against it.

They can be considered, yes, but not repeatedly posted over and over again by careless n00bs who don't bother to read the thread first before opening their figurative mouths.
Corbeau
level1
level1

Postby Corbeau » Thu Oct 12, 2006 3:58 am

Which is why a threat summarizing the ideas already suggested is a good thing. But I feel that such a thread should be just that - an index, not an editorial.
"Rule #13: do onto others." - The Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates
blackwhitehawk
level2
level2

Postby blackwhitehawk » Thu Oct 12, 2006 1:27 pm

how about leting people who want to put those changes for each country for them selfs. That way you wont get people asking for stats then which i think is the wrost idea i have heard yet.
Kuth
level4
level4

Postby Kuth » Wed Oct 18, 2006 4:49 pm

>>Bumped for great knowledge<<
furtim
level2
level2

Postby furtim » Wed Oct 18, 2006 6:41 pm

A lot of game forums I frequent have threads like this stickied as a sort of "READ ME BEFORE SUGGESTING". For example: http://forums.nexuswar.com/viewtopic.php?t=2154

I think this forum could benefit from such a thread (sticky this one, for great laziness?), as well as a few rules for posting suggestions. Another Nexus War example: http://forums.nexuswar.com/viewtopic.php?t=2355
blackwhitehawk
level2
level2

Postby blackwhitehawk » Wed Oct 18, 2006 10:50 pm

another thing would be is not to flame people for posting there ideas.
Kuth
level4
level4

Postby Kuth » Thu Oct 19, 2006 3:09 am

Do I flame?

I thought I give reasons to why the ideas are....well....bad. Either by referencing them to this thread or telling them on-site.

I think flames come about from the OP defending their idea because they think it's great and just don't see the reasoning of why it woulnd't work...
blackwhitehawk
level2
level2

Postby blackwhitehawk » Thu Oct 19, 2006 4:08 am

i never said you flamed but its alwas a good idea to have it up there 8) .
wwarnick
level5
level5

Postby wwarnick » Fri Oct 20, 2006 2:26 pm

Kuth wrote:Do I flame?

Yes. Hostility is unnecessary.

Kuth wrote:
flatrick wrote:lame post altogether..

Thank you for your constructive contribution to this discussion!

Is there anything constructive here?

Solution?
||
V
furtim wrote:A lot of game forums I frequent have threads like this stickied as a sort of "READ ME BEFORE SUGGESTING". For example: http://forums.nexuswar.com/viewtopic.php?t=2154

I think this forum could benefit from such a thread (sticky this one, for great laziness?), as well as a few rules for posting suggestions. Another Nexus War example: http://forums.nexuswar.com/viewtopic.php?t=2355

This is the way it should be done.
blackwhitehawk
level2
level2

Postby blackwhitehawk » Fri Oct 20, 2006 2:42 pm

thank for pointing that that out finally someone who knows what hes doing 8)
furtim
level2
level2

Postby furtim » Fri Oct 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Maybe we should sticky a less-subjective "Commonly Posted Suggestions" thread to replace the "Bad Suggestions" one (which I think is important to have, but I can understand why some people would prefer not to sticky it). What do the moderators here think of that idea?

Basically, the "Commonly Posted Suggestions" thread would have the first post consisting of links back to threads that contain common suggestions. So, for example, the post would contain categories like this:

Then we direct players to post in existing threads if they have new, related ideas, rather than create new ones. We could make exceptions if someone comes in with a substantially new variation on an existing suggestion, but for the most part new instances of existing suggestions would be closed and directed to post in the existing threads.

Thoughts?

Return to “Think Tank”