Bad suggestions

Ideas for expansions and improvements to Defcon

Moderator: Defcon moderators

Kuth
level4
level4

Postby Kuth » Mon Oct 09, 2006 3:14 am

one thing leads to the next.

If we do impliment this, how long do you suppose it'll be before the sim heads drop stats on us saying America's bombers are better than russia's- like they can go faster or have longer range.

Things are fine as they are.
wwarnick
level5
level5

individual units

Postby wwarnick » Mon Oct 09, 2006 3:16 am

If I am correct, the unit pictures are vector-based, not bitmaps, which makes things difficult. That said, I still think that IV should create a way for the player to change the unit pictures for each individual territory for modding purposes only. If the pics can't be edited in Adobe Illustrator or similar software, then I don't know how you'd edit them, but if IV could do it, them I'm sure modders could figure it out. Besides, IV said themselves that they plan to improve defcon's moddibility.
Kuth
level4
level4

Postby Kuth » Mon Oct 09, 2006 3:27 am

that would be nice to see.

I'm just fearful that, if that's implimented, everyone would want individual stats to go with the individual graphics. We already have n00bs wanting to change the missile arcs, or make missiles unhittable in thier flight paths, but they don't seem to understand that Defcon's just a game and not a sim (yet anyway)
Rosti
level2
level2

Postby Rosti » Mon Oct 09, 2006 7:35 pm

Yes, we have 'n00bs' (heck, this game barely a week old!) calling Big Red Button this and 'fixed' arc that, but has it really hurt the game? The ideas might, but since the kind of person likely to implement it also likes the core gameplay, such things are almost certain to never appear as an IV approved patch.

I can see your 'appeasement' arguement (a word you seem fond of, but the are those I adore as the whim takes me...), but if someone did design a method of faction-based units [which my cursory understanding of the game suggests could be done in such a way as to not require every player to have the modification, as palehorse], the only downside would be that those n00bs from above would have one more thing to say for most users to ignore. Is that such a high price for something pretty funky? I don't think so, really.

As for your other points, I do pretty much agree, since if added to the main game they would detract from the gameplay itself. I do, however, want a Big Red Button - not one that launches all my nukes, just a tempting little thing to amuse...
Kuth
level4
level4

Postby Kuth » Tue Oct 10, 2006 2:57 am

like an announcement that says "NOT INSTALLED UNTIL TUESDAY?"

There are two reasons why I'm against individual unit graphics. The first is the evntual demand for statistical differences, since you know that will come next from the simulator crowd (or the morons who want thier national fighters to do better). Second is, it breaks the generality of the game. Units are units... I like the idea that the Blue American submarine is the Ohio class SSBN, while it's Red Russian counterpart is the Delta III SSBN (or Typhoon, or whatever).

still, it's a pretty nifty idea if handled right. I'm on the fence about it, since IV can do it either way. But what solution do you think IV is likely to follow? I don't think it will be implimented, personally.
Serathii
level2
level2

Postby Serathii » Tue Oct 10, 2006 3:50 am

xander wrote:Thank you for posting this, Kuth. I would like to just add one more thing, in big ass letters:
Defcon is a game, not a simulation!

xander

I want my money back!!! /lame joke
captainfred
level1
level1

Postby captainfred » Tue Oct 10, 2006 4:00 am

I'm just using the Demo. No decision made if I will buy the game. and

IT SHOULD BE A SIM, NOT A GAME :lol:
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Tue Oct 10, 2006 4:11 am

captainfred wrote:I'm just using the Demo. No decision made if I will buy the game. and

YOU ARE A MUPPET, NOT A PERSON

xander
Crusader Scott
level2
level2

Postby Crusader Scott » Tue Oct 10, 2006 5:23 am

Complete agreement, Kuth! I'm a wargamer at heart and have played many a realistic simulation of warfare, but DEFCON is clearly not meant to be that. DEFCON is a fun game that captures the ESSENCE of nuclear warfare without overwhelming the gamer with too much realism. In many ways, DEFCON is the nuclear variant of chess as both games provide a wonderful ABSTRACTION of warfare without burying the user under an avalanche of detail as found in more realistic wargames such as Harpoon or Supreme Ruler 2010 (many of the suggestions for DEFCON mods sound like they were based upon SR2010). Do I think DEFCON could be enhanced here or there? Sure---this game has a lot of potential. But to muddle the gameplay with an avalanche of realism would kill an otherwise elegant title.
tc_zero
level0

Postby tc_zero » Tue Oct 10, 2006 6:10 am

wait a sec, I brought up the red button recently and I didnt mean it as a 'shoot as fast as you can push' kind of thing. It was more the idea of aiming just as you do when you launch now but they only launch after the certain button is pushed. I figure that you puch it once and it begins the lauch for the silo but the same time intervals as there are now. I dont really see how it would change the game play. Maybe it would give you a little more time to think about your second volley but thats all I could come up with.
Kuth
level4
level4

Postby Kuth » Tue Oct 10, 2006 6:27 am

xander wrote:
captainfred wrote:I'm just using the Demo. No decision made if I will buy the game. and

YOU ARE A MUPPET, NOT A PERSON

xander

Feirce LOL!

As for the button... are you suggesting there be a big red button to push to launch one nuke per silo? Where would you designate where it's going?
tc_zero
level0

Postby tc_zero » Tue Oct 10, 2006 6:36 am

Just as you pick targets now. You select the silo and pick the targets. Then you could hit said button for all qued silos and they would launch on the targets you had chosen for them. Really its just pust in a delay, an extra step in launching. Though you could focus on other things while your silos empty out.
GeneticFreak
level3
level3

Postby GeneticFreak » Tue Oct 10, 2006 7:20 am

tc_zero wrote:Though you could focus on other things while your silos empty out.

dont forget that it would also eliminate the need to open each silo individually and targeting them and closing them again. which in turn will allow you to focus on other things instead of doing that. which reduces the skill and attention span needed to play the game.
tc_zero
level0

Postby tc_zero » Tue Oct 10, 2006 7:56 am

no. you can just aim sooner but you still have to do all of the work and pick all of the targets. it the same concept of what the game is now only the missiles dont launch as soon as you pick the target. how does that take skill out? if anything you may be at a disability because you may not have aimed at enemy silos that you could not see upon previosly picking the targets.
gazz07
level1
level1

Postby gazz07 » Tue Oct 10, 2006 9:08 am

tc_zero wrote:wait a sec, I brought up the red button recently and I didnt mean it as a 'shoot as fast as you can push' kind of thing. It was more the idea of aiming just as you do when you launch now but they only launch after the certain button is pushed. I figure that you puch it once and it begins the lauch for the silo but the same time intervals as there are now. I dont really see how it would change the game play. Maybe it would give you a little more time to think about your second volley but thats all I could come up with.

Its pretty easy at the lowest speed to que up all your missiles and targets before they really get a chance to start launching.

Return to “Think Tank”