Bad suggestions

Ideas for expansions and improvements to Defcon

Moderator: Defcon moderators

xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Fri Oct 20, 2006 5:51 pm

furtim wrote:What do the moderators here think of that idea?

Just to be clear, there are no moderators on this board. There are two people tasked with admining the boards; they are NeoThermic and John. John tends to be fairly hands off, as he has other work to do, and NeoThermic tends to only interfere when he feels it is neccessary. If someone were to put together a list of common suggestions, and do a really good job of it, NeoThermic might sticky it, if he felt that it was useful. My suggestion, based on the history of these boards, is to create what you would consider to be the perfect "Common Suggestions" post, commit to maintaining it, then post it, and ask NeoThermic to sticky it.

xander
poorsod
level1
level1

Postby poorsod » Fri Oct 20, 2006 6:08 pm

tc_zero wrote:Just as you pick targets now. You select the silo and pick the targets. Then you could hit said button for all qued silos and they would launch on the targets you had chosen for them. Really its just pust in a delay, an extra step in launching. Though you could focus on other things while your silos empty out.

I think that would make the game less challenging and less fun. As it stands, the launching process is:

select silo
point nukes
nukes launch
repeat

and it makes getting the nukes from each silo to land at the same time something of a gauntlet you have to run.

If the launching process was...

select silo
point nukes
repeat
Big Red Button
nukes launch

... then all your nukes would launch together and so all your nukes would land together. Easy to do. It also means the game would last less long, as players would be inclined to fire off every last one of their nukes in one volley.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Fri Oct 20, 2006 6:43 pm

poorsod wrote:... then all your nukes would launch together and so all your nukes would land together. Easy to do. It also means the game would last less long, as players would be inclined to fire off every last one of their nukes in one volley.

Incorrect. If all of your nukes are launched at the same time, then they will land at different times. The nukes from the silos that are closest will land first. The nukes from the silos that are farther away will land later. The trick to coordinating an all out offensive is not to launch all of your silos at the same time, but to launch them at the right time.

xander
111none
level4
level4

Postby 111none » Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:15 pm

... then all your nukes would launch together and so all your nukes would land together. Easy to do. It also means the game would last less long, as players would be inclined to fire off every last one of their nukes in one volley.

That is sad, do you know how to calculate the distance?
Ace Rimmer
level5
level5

Postby Ace Rimmer » Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:43 pm

Zombie thread!! Run!!
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast...
AndersBreivik
level2
level2

Postby AndersBreivik » Sat Dec 01, 2012 2:29 am

Image i dont think i have ever seen a real live zombie thread before.

Defcon is brilliant - chttp://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?t=658295
Deadcows
level2
level2

Postby Deadcows » Sat Dec 01, 2012 4:44 pm

Maybe this is the wrong thread but we really need panama canal.

Return to “Think Tank”