Team Scoring Modes

Ideas for expansions and improvements to Defcon

Moderator: Defcon moderators

JaguarUSF
level1
level1
Posts: 38
Joined: Sat Apr 29, 2006 4:24 am
Location: Jacksonville, FL

Team Scoring Modes

Postby JaguarUSF » Fri Oct 06, 2006 4:46 pm

As suggested by several people, I'd like to see team scoring options. No defections, either a total or average score of the team, and the game displays a team victory at the end.
Cooper
level1
level1
Posts: 10
Joined: Fri Oct 06, 2006 4:16 pm

Postby Cooper » Fri Oct 06, 2006 5:03 pm

Yeah, would make sense, especially for non-defection games. Would mean that if one team-member focused on defense then they'd still reap the benefits of freeing their team-mate up to nuke the enemy.

Would hate it in a game where defection was permited though.
User avatar
xander
level5
level5
Posts: 16869
Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2004 11:41 pm
Location: Highland, CA, USA
Contact:

Postby xander » Fri Oct 06, 2006 6:09 pm

Cooper wrote:Yeah, would make sense, especially for non-defection games. Would mean that if one team-member focused on defense then they'd still reap the benefits of freeing their team-mate up to nuke the enemy.

Would hate it in a game where defection was permited though.

Perhaps it should only be possible in games where defection is not allowed? However, I think that individual wins should still be possible in non-defection game -- it does effect strategy.

xander
User avatar
MadSeven
level2
level2
Posts: 195
Joined: Tue Sep 26, 2006 8:19 am

Postby MadSeven » Fri Oct 06, 2006 7:57 pm

xander wrote:
Cooper wrote:Yeah, would make sense,
especially for non-defection games.
Would mean that if one team-member focused on defense then they'd still reap the benefits of freeing their team-mate up to nuke the enemy.

Would hate it in a game where defection was permited though.

Perhaps it should only be possible in games where defection is not allowed? However, I think that individual wins should still be possible in non-defection game -- it does effect strategy.

xander


Coffee Xander? :-) <zoom in>especially for non-defection games.<zoom out><zoom in>I'd like to see team scoring options. No defections, <zoom out>

I think the option to go for Team score mode, would add another playstyle, which would benefit Defcon. No defections ofcourse, but someone already mentioned that. :o
User avatar
xander
level5
level5
Posts: 16869
Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2004 11:41 pm
Location: Highland, CA, USA
Contact:

Postby xander » Fri Oct 06, 2006 8:36 pm

MadSeven wrote:
xander wrote:
Cooper wrote:Yeah, would make sense,
especially for non-defection games.
Would mean that if one team-member focused on defense then they'd still reap the benefits of freeing their team-mate up to nuke the enemy.

Would hate it in a game where defection was permited though.

Perhaps it should only be possible in games where defection is not allowed? However, I think that individual wins should still be possible in non-defection game -- it does effect strategy.

xander


Coffee Xander? :-) <zoom in>especially for non-defection games.<zoom out><zoom in>I'd like to see team scoring options. No defections, <zoom out>

I think the option to go for Team score mode, would add another playstyle, which would benefit Defcon. No defections ofcourse, but someone already mentioned that. :o

Ah but my statement was a rephrasing of the original -- a subtle clue-stick -- for the second poster. He seemed to miss those aspects of it, and I was trying to be polite. Perhaps I was too subtle...

Also, I don't drink coffee.

xander
User avatar
MadSeven
level2
level2
Posts: 195
Joined: Tue Sep 26, 2006 8:19 am

OT

Postby MadSeven » Sat Oct 07, 2006 8:41 am

No harm done...Tea?
gazz07
level1
level1
Posts: 33
Joined: Sat Oct 07, 2006 12:07 am

Postby gazz07 » Sat Oct 07, 2006 2:14 pm

Team scoring would be cool. But allow the option to have switching sides in those games too. No sense limiting the options when they can both be on different option controls. (did that make sense?)
User avatar
GeneticFreak
level3
level3
Posts: 325
Joined: Sat Sep 30, 2006 2:43 pm
Location: Indonesia
Contact:

Postby GeneticFreak » Sat Oct 07, 2006 3:19 pm

I think its a bad idea since then people will only play team mode.

Look at Age of Empires and other RTSes for example, Allied victory is optional there but everyone always turns that on instead of the default individual scoring mode...

People tend to ally and allied victory will give an incentive reason for people to stick to their alliance. And since people generally wants a trusted ally then everyone will want this option turned on all the time, which in turn will change how people play this game.
It'll make Defcon not Defcon.
Rich_Zap
level1
level1
Posts: 33
Joined: Tue Oct 03, 2006 9:50 pm
Location: Europe (till it gets nuked)

Postby Rich_Zap » Sat Oct 07, 2006 4:37 pm

I disagree, i dont think that people would just play the allied victory mode... Also there are circumstances where it would be beneficial to leave an alliance. For instance if your team mates are doing very badly but you have the highest individual score you may leave the alliance so they dont drag you down. Remember for an alliance to win its got to get the highest average score and this is difficult.

Also AoE (I and II not III because that sucked) is one of the most popular strategy games of all time... Allied victory is good because it is enjoyable, i think that defcon can accomodate what it has now and allied victory.
gazz07
level1
level1
Posts: 33
Joined: Sat Oct 07, 2006 12:07 am

Postby gazz07 » Sat Oct 07, 2006 4:52 pm

GeneticFreak wrote:I think its a bad idea since then people will only play team mode.

Look at Age of Empires and other RTSes for example, Allied victory is optional there but everyone always turns that on instead of the default individual scoring mode...

People tend to ally and allied victory will give an incentive reason for people to stick to their alliance. And since people generally wants a trusted ally then everyone will want this option turned on all the time, which in turn will change how people play this game.
It'll make Defcon not Defcon.


If everyone would do it, wouldn't that mean that everyone was being able to play the game the way they wanted?

Right now, as the game currently stands, you have to pretty much attack your allies, unless your winning, in which case your allies have to attack you. Some like that, some don't, some will want a change of pace. Whats wrong with giving people a choice?
User avatar
rawera
level1
level1
Posts: 35
Joined: Fri Oct 06, 2006 9:04 pm

Postby rawera » Sat Oct 07, 2006 5:38 pm

Without a doubt this game needs a team scoring mode. Plenty of people would like to get a little recognition for playing as the defensive half -- or third or fourth -- in an alliance (and the security that comes from no defections is nice).

And of course this change would not be the death knell of standard cutthroat defcon. That play style is too original, too interesting, and just plain too much fun to miss out on.

People enjoy variety and I for one would certainly like the option of playing as a team or putting those subs parked off of a friendly Los Angeles to use.
User avatar
GeneticFreak
level3
level3
Posts: 325
Joined: Sat Sep 30, 2006 2:43 pm
Location: Indonesia
Contact:

Postby GeneticFreak » Sat Oct 07, 2006 6:12 pm

Well then don't disable defection when your doing Team Victory. That will also give the choice for people that wants individual win to leave the alliance.

Return to “Think Tank”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 26 guests