Ideas for expansions and improvements to Defcon

Moderator: Defcon moderators

AnakinOU
level1
level1

"realistic" visual effects

Postby AnakinOU » Thu Oct 05, 2006 11:14 pm

Here's a random suggestion...

Whenever your home region gets nuked, have the display reflect it. Not for just small hits, but for major hits (say...2.5M or more, from one missile), have a random chance that the screen would briefly flicker or dim a bit, then slowly come back up to full brightness. You know, like what you get on CRTs when you have a rolling blackout/brownout, or when the electricity flickers a bit. Or, for major hits, have the screen shake up and down, then lose vertical hold for a cycle. Another possibility would be a little static effect on the screen, again, ever so briefly, upon a major strike.

OK, so if you get carried away with this kind of thing, it could annoy people/throw somebody's game. Hence the "random chance" and only on major losses at home. Only have something like this take place every once in a while.

I think it would really add to the realism of the game. This isn't like Starcraft, where you are playing from the point of view of...something...floating above the battlefield. This is controlling a region's nuclear arsenal. The screen in the game IS the control screen of the system. If in-game events occasionally affect the interface, it could bring the player even further into the game.
xyzyxx
level5
level5

Postby xyzyxx » Thu Oct 05, 2006 11:37 pm

A very nice idea.

Mentioned here as well.
Some people talk because they have something to say. Others talk because they have to say something.
Toast_boy
level1
level1

Postby Toast_boy » Thu Oct 05, 2006 11:44 pm

cool idea but I doubt any nuclear bunker where world leaders are hiding are actually in the region being nuked....they are all on the south pole..duh!
Mentarque
level1
level1

Postby Mentarque » Thu Oct 05, 2006 11:49 pm

Very cool idea !
Dark Phoenix
level1
level1

Postby Dark Phoenix » Fri Oct 06, 2006 5:15 am

Agreed. Nothing drives "holy shit, the USSR just nuked us" home like your screen flickering from an EM pulse.
"There is no idea so good it can't be ruined by a few well-placed idiots." - Scott Adams,
creator of "Dilbert"

Sometimes you're the bug, and sometimes you're the windshield.
Drakkenfyre
level1
level1

Postby Drakkenfyre » Fri Oct 06, 2006 5:34 am

If implemented, I would suggest it as an on/off option, because some people might get annoyed, or after awhile get tired of it

-Drakk )))
Kuth
level4
level4

Postby Kuth » Fri Oct 06, 2006 7:16 am

Toast_boy wrote:cool idea but I doubt any nuclear bunker where world leaders are hiding are actually in the region being nuked....they are all on the south pole..duh!

No no no, the're all on The Moon.

As for the flicker display...well...I like Defcon having the distant "Simulator" feel far removed from the actual event itself. Defcon doesn't have to be just an 'Omginprogress!' "game", but it could also be something seen in a classroom teaching atomic warfare strategies. In that instance, why the flicker?
Lucifer
level0

Postby Lucifer » Fri Oct 06, 2006 4:08 pm

That's a cool idea

Return to “Think Tank”