Markers

Ideas for expansions and improvements to Defcon

Moderator: Defcon moderators

Bckster
level0

Markers

Postby Bckster » Wed Oct 04, 2006 8:35 pm

When i was playing the game i noticed that my fighters had a small radar, i then noticed it was under fire from a silo, which was out of radar range of the fighter, so to get round this i move the fighter to a different position and then using a piece of paper managed to find out where the offending silo was, next to bombay as it happens. I then thought, hey! i can use this intel to nuke bombay + silo effectivly, whilst only destroying a single fighter.

and i would have if i had not forgotten where the silo was by the time i got round to my strike time, and thus lost a large amount of nukes to it, now if there had been a system in the game with which to drop Markers (bookmarks) on the map with which to remember, where things like that are (same goes for sub launches + carrier positions) i would not forget where they were and end up nuking + sending units on unnecessary trips.

probably a bad idea thats already been looked over but just a thought. ta
Sunjumper
level0

Postby Sunjumper » Wed Oct 04, 2006 8:48 pm

Hmmm using a fighter to find out where a silo is by tracking its AA fire is a very clever idea.

You might use a white board marker on the screen to pinpoint the location (don't forget to mark down a reference point as the marker will become useless once you move the map), but you might ruin you monitor with it...
Introducing a marker into to the program might be a neat idea, it could also be used to find a city that still has most of its inhabitants left so that it can be found under the radioactive glow from neighbouring cities among other things.
Coltzero
level1
level1

Postby Coltzero » Wed Oct 04, 2006 9:19 pm

I think this is an exellent idea! It would increase the idea of having a lid up map of the world in the officer's command room or submarines for that matters! Great thinking
MagikalGoatPants
level0

Postby MagikalGoatPants » Wed Oct 04, 2006 9:37 pm

Signed.
xander
level5
level5

Re: Markers

Postby xander » Wed Oct 04, 2006 9:42 pm

Bckster wrote:When i was playing the game i noticed that my fighters had a small radar, i then noticed it was under fire from a silo, which was out of radar range of the fighter, so to get round this i move the fighter to a different position and then using a piece of paper managed to find out where the offending silo was, next to bombay as it happens. I then thought, hey! i can use this intel to nuke bombay + silo effectivly, whilst only destroying a single fighter.

and i would have if i had not forgotten where the silo was by the time i got round to my strike time, and thus lost a large amount of nukes to it, now if there had been a system in the game with which to drop Markers (bookmarks) on the map with which to remember, where things like that are (same goes for sub launches + carrier positions) i would not forget where they were and end up nuking + sending units on unnecessary trips.

probably a bad idea thats already been looked over but just a thought. ta

Yeah, I've done the same thing. If you really wanted, you could use a sharpie on a piece of plastic wrap over the monitor...

xander

Return to “Think Tank”