If you've got modding figure out, perhaps update the wiki?

Discussion about Mods for Prison Architect

Moderator: NBJeff

WiseWoodrow
level2
level2

If you've got modding figure out, perhaps update the wiki?

Postby WiseWoodrow » Thu Mar 03, 2016 1:57 am

Right now, the "Modding quickstart guide" is a little bit outdated, and lacking areas. I know there are some other mod sources, but the way the quickstart guide is structured is very useful - allowing users to go in, and figure out exactly what different objects need to work properly.

Considering the game's been out a while, I just thought I'd make a little public request - if you've mastered the art of PA modding, why not come help the wiki out?
There's always more to add, always more to learn. I personally want to get into modding at some point, so little references like this are really useful to me, and it's a shame to see it so dead.

So I'd like to invite everyone who has a tid bit of information about modding, to let your information flow unto the wikis

http://devwiki.introversion.co.uk/pa/in ... tart_Guide
knoest26
level5
level5

Re: If you've got modding figure out, perhaps update the wik

Postby knoest26 » Thu Mar 03, 2016 6:35 pm

I've tried modding this game a lot some time back but I always ran into the same issue. The modding system was very limiting and always, whenever something interesting came up and I tried to make it, you couldn't mod it. It was really frustrating to run into that issue every single time so I eventually stopped. In terms of modding, reverse engineering is the way to go. Take a mod that is similar to what you want to make and look into how that is structured.

If you come up with a cool mod idea, it's best to lay it out here so you don't go dreaming about something that can't be done.
WiseWoodrow
level2
level2

Postby WiseWoodrow » Fri Mar 04, 2016 12:20 am

Yeah, the modding abilities in this game are quite limited. I know a decent bit of lua, and I can't even find any "event triggers" for this game - I did as you said, some poor sap has a landmine script that looks through EVERY prisoner every second and determines if they're on the "mine" or not, because as far as I can tell there isn't even an entity touch event to fire the script, forcing you to use this bad and potentially laggy in high numbers method. It's brings pain to my heart :/
thehax
level0

Postby thehax » Fri Apr 08, 2016 1:56 pm

knoest26 wrote:If you come up with a cool mod idea, it's best to lay it out here so you don't go dreaming about something that can't be done.

I hope it's okay if I take this month-old advice.
Here goes: Is it possible to mod the game to make it a highschool simulator?
Cells -> dorms, prisoners -> students, etc. etc.
It's more or less a total conversion mod, I have in mind..
Is PA capable of such a mod?

Edit: moved this into a own thread: http://forums.introversion.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=88&t=59638

Return to “Modding”