Experimenting with firemen

Discussion about Mods for Prison Architect

Moderator: NBJeff

aubergine18
level2
level2

Experimenting with firemen

Postby aubergine18 » Thu Oct 22, 2015 4:17 am

Been experimenting with Firemen to see if I can get hoses working without using an emergency callout - here's what I've found so far....

In the callout, a FireEngine will drive down road (second lane at x=93 on unexpanded map) and eventually come to a stop next to deliveries. The FireEngine's .ProcessingRoom.i/u vals are set to the ids of the deliveries room. Once stopped the FireEngine will have a .State of 'Waiting' (4 when setting). The Fireman group will then disembark.

Looking at Fireman, they have a .FireEngine property - it's .i/.u vals are set to the IDs of the FireEngine. The Fireman also has a .Hose property, which is an array of positions along the hose's path.

How hard can it be, right?

So, I spawn a Fireman and he instantly goes running off the map.

I spawn a FireEngine first, then the Fireman and then set the FireMan.FireEngine.i/u = FireEngine.Id.i/u. Now the fireman is sat on the fire engine; setting that property also put the Fireman.Id in FireEngine.Slot0, and the FireMan.CarrierId = FireEngine.Id.

But the FireEngine is now driving off the map. No problem... Set FireEngine.State = 4 (Waiting) and FireEngine.Speed = 0.0. Success!

So, spawning successful, it's now time to get the Fireman off the FireEngine. This is where it all goes horribly wrong.

I first tried setting the FireEngine.Slot0 vals to -1 and the Fireman.CarrierId vals to -1. No joy. The Fireman.FireEngine property keeps resetting them and putting the Fireman back in the FireEngine's Slot0. And I can't clear the Fireman.FireEngine vals otherwise Fireman goes running off the map. ffs.

I tried seeding the Fireman.Hose with it's first element (each element contains a { Pos.x = x, Pos.y =y } table). That didn't work out well, the API treated it as a custom script property rather than updating its internal data structure. From what I can work out, there's some function missing that would seed the Fireman.Hose array with it's values, or at least something that would get the Fireman out of the FireTruck. Without that, it's game over for scriptable firemen.

Anyway, can anyone overcome the last hurdle of getting the Fireman off the FireEngine?

I'm starting to agree with the growing consensus amongst modders that the bugs and missing features are intentional.
Brento666
level3
level3

Re: Experimenting with firemen

Postby Brento666 » Thu Oct 22, 2015 6:22 am

Sollid research, shame the bugger wont budge, you set him a navigateto I hope ;)

Maybe spawn some fire to see if he responds? -All I can think of my brain is fried..
aubergine18
level2
level2

Postby aubergine18 » Thu Oct 22, 2015 1:08 pm

Yup, already tried both those things. Even placed a room under the fire just to see if that made any difference. It's like there's some missing command to get the fireman off the fire engine and initialise the hose array.

Last night I also tried making two other mods...

The first was a programmable facial recognition system, but that was roadblocked by the bugs in the script debugger (the text box is horribly broken). (Why is it limited to 4 characters, and even that doesn't work properly?)

The second was to see if I could make one of those 'smell' detectors like at airports, but that was roadblocked by the fact I can't add the required CellY and CellX properties to the jobs table. (Why isn't the jobs table exposed?)

I recently tried helping with the Dispatch mod, but some plans there were roadblocked by the fact that PlayerOrderPos isn't available on all entities. (Why would an API go out of it's way to be inconsistent?)

Considering the game has had something like 20 man years worth of dev time (5 years * approx 4 devs), I've now run out of ways to avoid coming to the conclusion that it's made this way on purpose.
Brento666
level3
level3

Postby Brento666 » Thu Oct 22, 2015 1:31 pm

aubergine18 wrote:I've now run out of ways to avoid coming to the conclusion that it's made this way on purpose.

I'm pretty shure it is made this way on purpose :D It would be unlikely to be as limiting to us if it was all up to chance!

But at the same time, you could easily find a new spot allong the edge of possibilities, that you can nest ! I'm sure of it !

If you're short on inspiration, you might endeavor with me in soccer... I am (on the low low) working out how to manage a football field with the football 'driving' the 'match' (with short jobs and ball flying off)...
...I was thinking of doing a video tutorial on it if I got the first few steps stable and fun...

...and I have an Idea and bare bones setup for a gunrange, snipertraining/shifts and a guardtower + behavior for the shifts... (someone here requested such a thing)
-start shift in lockerroom, collect rifle, drop vest + shocker. (Long Job for guards with Sniper training requirement) (possible sprite change for temporary alternative suit)
-measure time it takes to go to tower ladder
-walk up ladder
-walk around tower edge
-spot misbehavior + sanity check on material to determine if likely outside
-shot (miss/hit damage) + suppression
-take into account the length of the walk over to the tower. Head back before long job is over. Or test what guard does by himself when done.
-revert possible suit weapons, equipment, vest (from script at armory)

...I can't quite remember a title, but I remember a movie with triggerhappy snipers partoling inmates from towers over a gravel yard... hard-ass stuff! Misbehave ? Get drawn on! Fight? BAM ! Everyone drops... 1 doesn't get up !

Ohyeah, those and SURGERY :D But I'll finish that on my own :mrgreen:
aubergine18
level2
level2

Postby aubergine18 » Thu Oct 22, 2015 2:18 pm

There's already a guard tower: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/f ... =309956523

And spring guns: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/f ... =463660982

And armed guards that get tired: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/f ... =497223473

While those things could be merged and improved upon, I'm generally more interested in the infrastructure aspect of the game, particularly wireable stuff.
Brento666
level3
level3

Postby Brento666 » Thu Oct 22, 2015 2:38 pm

That guardtower is heinously ugly,the activity probably not what I'm wanting of it
-The spring guns are like for carnival or something.
-Armed guards tiring is a 1 line tweak? (Or am I wrong about that?)

But yeah if wiring is your thing, I was rather hoping for a prison 'PA' system; wired microphones and speakers... not for spying but for enforming and controlling guards in emergencies, or something...
-I really would like even just the look of some plastic cone speakers on walls and poles... for that complete big brother look... and have some chatter sounds + propaganda texts updating in their tooltexts...

If you'd wanna work on that with me... wired ones would be freaking cool, I don't know a thing about them! I can create grafix and help suss out what is does exactly... maybe just keeps everyone calm or provides needs through all 8 slots... or both!

If that's not yet fancy, maybe start a wired 'deathtrap' collection of fire, co2, water, serin gas, electrocution tiles, hot plates and other torture stuff... people will love it / you (maybe!) (I would definitely partially :D )
aubergine18
level2
level2

Postby aubergine18 » Thu Oct 22, 2015 2:43 pm

In terms of sound I ran in to problems modding that - at least from a scripting perspective. Existing sounds can be altered, but I've not yet managed to add a completely new sound.
Brento666
level3
level3

Postby Brento666 » Thu Oct 22, 2015 3:07 pm

Always fun times (for me at least) to jump into the sounds folder, and find some random sounds for whatever i'm building :D
The upgrade sound from the coming mod is pretty cool as it sounds a bit like a transformer :twisted:

But yeah, adding my own recorded or edited sounds would add allot of fun... and extra effort... actually pretty happy just reusing base sounds for now...

Did you catch the New Crime Spree mod already? Co-author and proud of it ! Even if it has allot of further tweaking and expanding to be done, it's already pretty fun :D
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=538271073

Return to “Modding”