Multiplayer?! Versus Mode?

Discussion about Mods for Prison Architect

Moderator: NBJeff

iNova12
level0

Multiplayer?! Versus Mode?

Postby iNova12 » Sun Jun 14, 2015 3:38 am

I suggest someone make a mod or ask the developers to make a Versus mode in Prison Architect, like player 1 owns the left side of the road for his/her prison, and player 2 owns the right side of the road for his/her prison. I think it would be really cool and would draw in alot of people to play this game.
c1in70n
level0

Re: Multiplayer?! Versus Mode?

Postby c1in70n » Mon Jun 15, 2015 10:59 pm

Or one person controls the prisoners and the other controls the prison!
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Tue Jun 16, 2015 4:13 am

Stab! Stab! Stabbity stab stab stab!

xander
iNova12
level0

Postby iNova12 » Thu Jun 18, 2015 1:15 am

or that to lol
knoest26
level5
level5

Postby knoest26 » Sat Jun 20, 2015 6:35 pm

xander wrote:Stab! Stab! Stabbity stab stab stab!

xander

Perfect representation of my thoughts right now
ProGamer93
level0

Postby ProGamer93 » Thu Jun 25, 2015 2:38 pm

I think good suggest.
xander
level5
level5

Postby xander » Wed Jul 01, 2015 2:46 am

xANDER SMASH!

xander
RedTear
level2
level2

Postby RedTear » Fri Jul 03, 2015 6:43 pm

c1in70n wrote:Or one person controls the prisoners and the other controls the prison!

MMO

It would work as follows:

If you create a new prison, you have the option of "allow player control of prisoners".

If you check that, then, at any time, a player can connect to your prison and assume control of one of your prisoners (at random) the same way you do if you go into your own prison in the case of failure(though, i dont know how that actualy works). That persons IP would be locked to this prisoner as well for 60 minutes after he disconected, so he cant just take over everyone and start a fight with everyone.

Now, obviously if i notice prisoners strolling around not going to the places they are supposed to, ill know that this prisoner is acting suspicious and throw him in solitary.
ronnie4444
level1
level1

Postby ronnie4444 » Sat Jul 11, 2015 1:04 am

I've really liked the idea of a multiplayer mode, too.

Here's how it works...

First off, I would connect to a server. Once I'm in, the game will ask me to input a new password (I'll explain...). Then, I can choose whether I want to control a prisoner already in the game, or if I want to be one of the new prisoners who will arrive in the next batch. If I choose to be one of the already-existing prisoners, I can pick which prisoner I want to be. However, the prisoner must be the "average" prisoner, meaning I can't pick a legendary prisoner if 80% of the other prisoners are all minimum security guys who are guilty of fraud. However, if the entire prison is all nasty, evil max-sec prisoners, I can choose to be one of them. This is just so that the players don't all pick legendary, evil prisoners, and then proceed to ruin the prison. On the other hand, if I choose to be a prisoner who will arrive in the next batch, I'll be put in a "queue". I can choose a custom prisoner from the "names in the game" menu (accessible through the pause menu -> Extras -> Names in the Game), and then the prisoner that I will be controlling will be that specific prisoner.

Now, the reason for having a password is simple. When you join the server and you already have a prisoner, instead of typing in a new password, you'll type in your current password. The reason why I think having a prisoner bound to your IP address isn't a great idea is simply because you might have a dynamic IP address. I have a static IP, but I know that a lot of service provider giants use dynamic IP addresses. So, instead you would input your password, and the game would jump to your already-existing prisoner.

The server owner has two modes available to him. The first mode is Management mode. This is where the server owner can manage things such as Guard deployments, patrols, logistics, and the prison policy. However, the server owner may not change a zone's deployment (Staff only, min-sec only, etc), with the exception of the Unlocked and Shared deployments. This is just to stop the owner from being nasty and setting every room around a cell block to be staff only, so the players get beat within an inch of their life when they try to go to the shop to buy soap. The server owner is also unable to spawn in new guards, armed guards, or patrol dogs. This is just to stop him/her from spawning in a bazillion armed guards when a player causes trouble. He/she can, however, spawn in non-guard staff members, and he/she can call in emergency units. Finally, the server owner doesn't have access to the foundations/rooms/objects toolbar items, and he/she can only use the wiring bit in the utilities window. (The server owner can't punish players for no reason. Duh..)

It goes without saying, however, that the server owner can set the server into offline mode, and then he/she can edit the prison as he/she pleases.

The second mode for the server owner is Prisoner mode - This is the exact same as the prisoner mode for other players.

The owner must input a password that he/she sets in a configuration file in order to have access to the owner abilities. Alternatively, if the owner is connecting locally (127.0.0.1 or localhost), then he/she will automatically be considered the owner. This can be disabled, however, in the case that the computer is a shared family PC.

Finally, I think that if/when the devs do implement this (please?), that it should be the core multiplayer system, meaning that you play in the same fashion as though you were in one of your own prisons after a criminal negligence failure. After this core system is working (and isn't breaking all of the time, because it's a massive feature), then I think it would make sense to implement the other features (such as stealing contraband at will, interacting with objects, fighting, etc) as time goes on.

Sheesh, this has been a long post.

Whaddayathink?
//Ron

Return to “Modding”