[help] Annoying grey lines on edges

Discussion about Mods for Prison Architect

Moderator: NBJeff

Spuddywuddy
level1
level1

[help] Annoying grey lines on edges

Postby Spuddywuddy » Sat Jan 17, 2015 5:23 pm

I have these annoying grey lines on the edges of some objects. Some objects seem to be more affected than others. The lines are not visible in the .psd file nor are they visible in the .png. Any way to fix this?

http://cloud-2.steamusercontent.com/ugc ... 91248EE73/
Chad
level3
level3

Re: [help] Annoying grey lines on edges

Postby Chad » Sat Jan 17, 2015 7:10 pm

it seems that the game copies 1px wide from the surrounding tiles in your sprites.png. I try to make my objects 1px smaller.
Spuddywuddy
level1
level1

Postby Spuddywuddy » Sat Jan 17, 2015 7:58 pm

But none of the objects touch the corners with the exception of hedge and hedge corner.

http://i.imgur.com/YHteu2K.png
Chad
level3
level3

Postby Chad » Sat Jan 17, 2015 8:36 pm

Spuddywuddy wrote:But none of the objects touch the corners with the exception of hedge and hedge corner.

http://i.imgur.com/YHteu2K.png

ah I see, do you use any other mods? In this thread is explained how the sprites are handled. Maybe, if you use any other mods, the grey lines may come from there?
Spuddywuddy
level1
level1

Postby Spuddywuddy » Sat Jan 17, 2015 9:48 pm

Nope, no other mods installed. I kind of fixed it. The game doesn't seem to like certain sprites next to each other. It also seems to want draw 1 pixel from an adjacent sprite sometimes. Even if there is nothing in those pixels, it still draws a grey line. Very odd. I fixed the hedge by drawing an extra pixel, effectively drawing into the next sprite's 'box'. I'm using guides in my PS document and triple checked them for errors, they are fine.
Pruvan
level2
level2

Postby Pruvan » Sat Jan 17, 2015 10:08 pm

The game compresses the sprite graphic files inside the engine before drawing them. This causes compression loss, causing stray pixels to cross over into adjacent sprites. Those are the grey lines you see. The only way to avoid this would be to have a space between all of the game's individual sprites, which is obviously unmanageable.

If it makes you feel better, it bothers me too.
Spuddywuddy
level1
level1

Postby Spuddywuddy » Sat Jan 17, 2015 10:31 pm

Pruvan wrote:The game compresses the sprite graphic files inside the engine before drawing them. This causes compression loss, causing stray pixels to cross over into adjacent sprites. Those are the grey lines you see. The only way to avoid this would be to have a space between all of the game's individual sprites, which is obviously unmanageable.

If it makes you feel better, it bothers me too.

Thanks for clearing that up.

Return to “Modding”