How do I get mods for a non-steam version of PA?

Discussion about Mods for Prison Architect

Moderator: NBJeff

RGeezy911
level5
level5

Re: How do I get mods for a non-steam version of PA?

Postby RGeezy911 » Wed Dec 24, 2014 6:24 pm

You don't need to buy the game for Steam again. The email Introversion sent you should also contain a Steam activation key. However, if you're unwilling to activate through Steam, then you can use this tool to get mods from the Workshop: http://steamworkshopdownloader.com/

You'll have to unpack the file you receive with a program like 7-Zip.

Cheers!
elDiablo
level5
level5

Postby elDiablo » Wed Dec 24, 2014 8:07 pm

A fun way is to subscribe to the mods you want, launch the Steam version, let it download and unpack everything for you, close it, and then launch the non-Steam version.
blipadouzi
level4
level4

Postby blipadouzi » Thu Dec 25, 2014 1:59 am

karatekidmonkey wrote:
RGeezy911 wrote:You don't need to buy the game for Steam again. The email Introversion sent you should also contain a Steam activation key. However, if you're unwilling to activate through Steam, then you can use this tool to get mods from the Workshop: http://steamworkshopdownloader.com/

Cheers!

The site does not work for most Mods :cry: . When I enter the URL of the Mod (ex. http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/f ... earchtext=) the little spinny thing on the right spins and a thing pops up saying download. However, when I click download, it downloads a .mod file (a video file type). So..... By the way thanks for the superfast reply (under a day) as usually i have to wait at least a month on other fourms :D .

Every you described means everything worked perfectly. Now open the .mod file with 7zip or WinRAR
Insert_Coin
level0

Postby Insert_Coin » Thu Dec 25, 2014 1:56 pm

Thx a lot blipadouzi ;)
jackasel
level0

Postby jackasel » Wed Sep 30, 2015 9:43 pm

blipadouzi wrote:
karatekidmonkey wrote:
RGeezy911 wrote:You don't need to buy the game for Steam again. The email Introversion sent you should also contain a Steam activation key. However, if you're unwilling to activate through Steam, then you can use this tool to get mods from the Workshop: http://steamworkshopdownloader.com/

Cheers!

The site does not work for most Mods :cry: . When I enter the URL of the Mod (ex. http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/f ... earchtext=) the little spinny thing on the right spins and a thing pops up saying download. However, when I click download, it downloads a .mod file (a video file type). So..... By the way thanks for the superfast reply (under a day) as usually i have to wait at least a month on other fourms :D .

Every you described means everything worked perfectly. Now open the .mod file with 7zip or WinRAR

then what?
elDiablo
level5
level5

Postby elDiablo » Thu Oct 01, 2015 8:59 am

The .mod file is just a renamed zip file that contains a mod. Once you have the mod opened in a zip extracting program (7-zip, WinRAR, etc), you just need to extract the whole folder structure to your APPDATA\introversion\prison architect\mods\ folder (usually something like "C:\Users\[UserName]\AppData\Local\introversion\prison architect\mods" on a Windows computer). You will need to put each mod into a separate folder inside there as each mod has a manifest.txt file that tells the game about the mod.
Stampyshotnose
level0

Postby Stampyshotnose » Thu Dec 31, 2015 9:54 am

i had the same problem PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE HELP!!! please?
explodinator22
level0

Postby explodinator22 » Mon Jun 20, 2016 11:21 am

The .mod files don't work anymore, steam changed how mods work. you need to make a steam account then add the non steam games like that. but to be extra sure make a steamapp.txt file in the prison architect file then run steam as and adminstrator as your downloading the mods. then if you want to play on steam architect with the mods launch it through steam
Wyxe
level1
level1

Postby Wyxe » Mon Jul 18, 2016 6:42 pm

I solved this for my mod by posting it to Nexus Mods. I'd like it if more people were to also post mods there. Nexus is a great place for mods, and the best mods make it to the top of the list - not just the most popular like Steam. If the Nexus PA community gets large enough on there, eventually they may make Nexus Mod Manager support, even though installing PA mods is super easy even if they're not from Steam. I already made the listing for Nexus, if you go to the home page and then search through games for Prison Architect, it's already there. Spread the word!

Return to “Modding”