Improved Kitchen&Canteen - Request for Mod

Discussion about Mods for Prison Architect

Moderator: NBJeff

Sinogard
level0

Improved Kitchen&Canteen - Request for Mod

Postby Sinogard » Tue Nov 04, 2014 9:47 pm

Hi,

I was looking for mod which would fulfil my requirement to have Kitchen and Canteen as "one room". If something like that exist I do apology for creating additional thread. If not, can somebody make this mod so it works as I do describe below?

So to my idea/request. If you will take a look on design of Serving Table which seems as the one used in school or prisons with low security. From one side cooks deliver food and from other prisoners are taking it. Yea you can build this as you can see on picture below (top building), but it have two major problems.

1. Prisoners can pass through Serving Table into kitchen.
  2. Game will not allow assign any prisoners to kitchen.

If this can be "fixed" so kitchen will allow you to assign prisoners for job and in same time serving table could not be crossed by prisoners (or other personal) it would be great.

Of course you can "cheat" it by putting doors between (second building) and keep them open all the time, but honestly it looks ugly.

blipadouzi
level4
level4

Re: Improved Kitchen&Canteen - Request for Mod

Postby blipadouzi » Tue Nov 04, 2014 9:56 pm

If I'm understanding this correctly, it should be VERY easy to make. Let me reinterate to be sure I got your idea correctly.

You don't necessarily want them to become 1 merged zone, you just want to be able to remove the wall between them. Right?

EDIT: Actually I take that back. The kitchen would most likely continue to work fine, but because of the lack of walls, I'm not sure if the prison job assignments would still work I'd have to test it out.
knoest26
level5
level5

Postby knoest26 » Tue Nov 04, 2014 10:15 pm

Jobs will only assign if the area is enclosed.

that said, it should be relatively simple. moving the abilities from a kitchen into the one from the canteen should do the job. As far as I see it there are '2' issues:
If you choose to make the canteen into a kitchen you will have to create a new series of jobs and it'll probably be quite buggy
If you choose to have prisoners eat in the kitchen you will loose your ability to use the 'eat' regime
Sinogard
level0

Postby Sinogard » Tue Nov 04, 2014 11:29 pm

I thought it should be simple to done it. If there is some parameter called "hey I'm wall" for objects could this parameter be assigned to Serving Table with keeping other functions which Serving table already have. This way graphic stay same, function is same and game will think "Hey, those are separate rooms". Would that be possible?
Sinogard
level0

Postby Sinogard » Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:45 pm

Hi,

I'm new to modding Prison Architect. So please bear with me while I ask my questions.

It's almost 2 years since time I posted my question about Kitchen&Canteen. Idea is quite simple what you can see from school canteen, low security prisons and IKEA ;-) On one side of Serving Table are cooks and one the other hungry customer (or prisoner). That area is usually non-passable unless you want to crawl through that small space.

Image of example from RL:

Target of mod:
1) Non-passable by any NPC
2) Served from "kitchen" side
3) Kitchen still can act like working place for prisoners.

So I tried to do it myself (failed). So I'm asking you for help if I'm doing something bad. Below you can see code for ServingTable. Basically it's merged ServingTable and BrickWall objects. And it still do not act like wall (npc can pass through). I even tried name it differently and use that object (object_ServingTable2).

Code: Select all

BEGIN Object     
    Name                 ServingTable 
    Width                5 
    ConstructionTime     1.00000 
    BlockMovement        true 
    Price                -20 
    NumSlots             5 
    RenderPostOffset     2
    Group                StaticObject 
    BlockedBy            Wall 
    BlockedBy            StaticObject 
    BlockedBy            UtilityStation
    Sprite               ServingTable 
    MadeOf               Composite
    ToolbarSprite        ServingTableToolbar
    Properties           StaticObject
    Properties           RoomSpecific
END

My question: Does that mean, objects cannot be walls?
Roytulin
level1
level1

Postby Roytulin » Sun Jan 28, 2018 8:55 am

Having an object block movement is certainly possible, judging from the existence of the visitation booth.

To do that, you use the following instead of ‘BlockMovement true’

Code: Select all

Properties           BlockMovement

Note that I am writing from mobile, so you may not want to copy and paste.

However, a possible problem I can foresee is that both staff and prisoners need to step on the same tiles as the vanilla serving table to use it due to the position of the interaction slots. Having the object block movement may stop it working completely.

Return to “Modding”