Japanese - Full Width Text Possible?

Discussion about Mods for Prison Architect

Moderator: NBJeff

MexiSushi
level0
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2014 4:52 am

Japanese - Full Width Text Possible?

Postby MexiSushi » Thu Sep 18, 2014 2:48 am

Hi, I'm thinking about creating a language mod from English to Japanese, but I'm running into some troubles.

From my understanding, modifying/replacing the "base-language.txt" file in the main.dat file would change the in-game text, but I realized that the fonts the game uses (Verdana/Catalogue) doesn't support full-width text like hiragana. Does anyone know how I go about modifying and replacing the font files to support full-width text? Is this even possible with the current state of the alpha build?

Sorry for a very vague question, but thanks in advance!
User avatar
blipadouzi
level4
level4
Posts: 567
Joined: Fri Sep 06, 2013 5:35 pm
Location: Canada
Contact:

Re: Japanese - Full Width Text Possible?

Postby blipadouzi » Thu Sep 18, 2014 3:18 am

The font files are jump BMPs found in the fonts folder. If you decompress the main.dat file using WinRAR or 7ZIP you'll be able to find the files.

Now whether you're able to include those in a mod or not, I don't know. You'd have to try it out yourself.

If it helps, there is a Korean language mod on the Steam Workshop. It uses the standard Korean characters, and does not replace any font files. It does it by using a kind of Hex code... here's an example

dialog_new ^517B^85CF^65E6^51FA
dialog_load ^4FD7^7269^5C0F^51FA
dialog_save ^8BC4^819B^65E6^51FA


You may want to download it to see if it can help, maybe contact the mod author, they may be able to provide a map to the codes they used.
User avatar
xander
level5
level5
Posts: 16869
Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2004 11:41 pm
Location: Highland, CA, USA
Contact:

Re: Japanese - Full Width Text Possible?

Postby xander » Thu Sep 18, 2014 3:19 am

There is currently no way to do what you want. Given IV's historically bad support of non-Latin alphabets, this is a problem that may never get fixed. I would suggest that you try finding a relevant feature request / bug report in the tracker and (1) support that ticket and (2) try to get everyone you know to support that ticket, too.

xander
MexiSushi
level0
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Sep 16, 2014 4:52 am

Re: Japanese - Full Width Text Possible?

Postby MexiSushi » Thu Sep 18, 2014 4:22 am

blipadouzi wrote:You may want to download it to see if it can help, maybe contact the mod author, they may be able to provide a map to the codes they used.


Oh wow, didn't notice that there was a Korean language mod out there. Looks like it was recently released too so I'll reach out to them like you said. Thanks!

xander wrote:I would suggest that you try finding a relevant feature request / bug report in the tracker and (1) support that ticket and (2) try to get everyone you know to support that ticket, too.
xander


Yeah, I had a hunch that it would be more difficult than swapping around a few files =P. I'll be sure to take your suggestion check out the request forums. Thanks as well!
learn_more
level1
level1
Posts: 36
Joined: Sun Sep 07, 2014 9:18 pm

Re: Japanese - Full Width Text Possible?

Postby learn_more » Thu Sep 18, 2014 8:08 am

blipadouzi wrote:The font files are jump BMPs found in the fonts folder. If you decompress the main.dat file using WinRAR or 7ZIP you'll be able to find the files.

Now whether you're able to include those in a mod or not, I don't know. You'd have to try it out yourself.

If it helps, there is a Korean language mod on the Steam Workshop. It uses the standard Korean characters, and does not replace any font files. It does it by using a kind of Hex code... here's an example

dialog_new ^517B^85CF^65E6^51FA
dialog_load ^4FD7^7269^5C0F^51FA
dialog_save ^8BC4^819B^65E6^51FA


You may want to download it to see if it can help, maybe contact the mod author, they may be able to provide a map to the codes they used.

this are 'Unicode code points'
http://graphemica.com/%E5%85%BB

Return to “Modding”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests