[QUESTION] spritebank and locations

Discussion about Mods for Prison Architect

Moderator: NBJeff

Brouwerder
level1
level1
Posts: 14
Joined: Tue Aug 12, 2014 3:55 pm

[QUESTION] spritebank and locations

Postby Brouwerder » Sat Aug 30, 2014 2:54 am

I have created a test version of a medium sized dishwasher.
Its not bitmap yet, but aside from that its usable as testrun for myself to learn from. when it comes to assigning / designing within set parameters.
I have no idea how to assign a location to, as well as determining what a location should be, of a bitmap object (furniture)

i cant find this info on existing object either, and have no clue how to use the spritebank
any chance on some help ? :)

here's my first project:

Image
User avatar
knoest26
level5
level5
Posts: 1380
Joined: Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:55 pm
Location: The Netherlands
Contact:

Re: spritebank and locations

Postby knoest26 » Sat Aug 30, 2014 11:30 am

Looks really good. I've not yet created a custom sprite myself but it seems easy, could you upload the file and post the link so we could have a look?
Brouwerder
level1
level1
Posts: 14
Joined: Tue Aug 12, 2014 3:55 pm

Re: spritebank and locations

Postby Brouwerder » Sat Aug 30, 2014 3:23 pm

allright, ill share the .png file i've made yesterday.

i was hoping marking a texture for the spritebankeditor might go via naming the layers/states but i cannot find examples
all i've found so far is this line in base-language.txt referring to the spritebank:

=============================================================================
# Sprite Bank Editor + other tools
=============================================================================

spritebankeditor_title Sprite Bank Editor
spritebankeditor_create Create
spritebankeditor_rotate Rotation
spritebankeditor_sort Sort
spritebankeditor_markermodetitle Marker Mode


and this line: reffering to a filename (of other items) :
object_DishWasher Medium-Sized DishWasher


and here is the file (dont fall over the looks, converting vectors is not the way to design :D)
http://www.fileswap.com/dl/mRTQujbpSB/

so i've thought about naming vector's/bitmaps layers/states. but i cannot find a example again..
User avatar
knoest26
level5
level5
Posts: 1380
Joined: Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:55 pm
Location: The Netherlands
Contact:

Re: spritebank and locations

Postby knoest26 » Sat Aug 30, 2014 5:44 pm

I'll have a look
User avatar
knoest26
level5
level5
Posts: 1380
Joined: Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:55 pm
Location: The Netherlands
Contact:

Re: spritebank and locations

Postby knoest26 » Sat Aug 30, 2014 7:08 pm

Finished it, made it functional and uploaded it to the workshop.
DishWasher
oatemeal
level0
Posts: 5
Joined: Sat Aug 30, 2014 11:33 am

Re: spritebank and locations

Postby oatemeal » Sat Aug 30, 2014 8:48 pm

So wait... instead of helping him figure out how to make it a sprite in game you figured it out for yourself and released it?
User avatar
knoest26
level5
level5
Posts: 1380
Joined: Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:55 pm
Location: The Netherlands
Contact:

Re: spritebank and locations

Postby knoest26 » Sat Aug 30, 2014 8:54 pm

oatemeal wrote:So wait... instead of helping him figure out how to make it a sprite in game you figured it out for yourself and released it?

I already knew how to so it was just a bit of testing. I finished it and decided to release it ( with him as the co author offcourse) and he now can try to learn how to do it himself using the files. Or I can do it for him if from now on if he wants that
User avatar
Phraxas
level2
level2
Posts: 107
Joined: Sun Aug 31, 2014 12:10 am
Location: USA - PA

Re: spritebank and locations

Postby Phraxas » Sun Aug 31, 2014 1:06 am

..And this post is everything I need to not post what I am working on or ask for help directly related to a project. So rude.
Mydayyy
level0
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:09 pm

Re: spritebank and locations

Postby Mydayyy » Sun Aug 31, 2014 1:21 am

knoest26 wrote:
oatemeal wrote:So wait... instead of helping him figure out how to make it a sprite in game you figured it out for yourself and released it?

I already knew how to so [..]


So.. you actually just leeched the mod?
User avatar
xander
level5
level5
Posts: 16869
Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2004 11:41 pm
Location: Highland, CA, USA
Contact:

Re: spritebank and locations

Postby xander » Sun Aug 31, 2014 2:56 am

Mydayyy wrote:So.. you actually just leeched the mod?

Seriously? Get over yourself. His stated reason for releasing the mod (giving credit for the image, by the way) was to help the original poster. The mod is correctly structured and can act as a tutorial for the original poster, should he or she want to do anything with it. It might have been slightly better if knoest26 had kept his version private and emailed it to the OP, but that is not always an easy thing to do via the forums. Since there is no intent to steal anther person's work or take credit for that work, what is your problem?

xander
User avatar
Phraxas
level2
level2
Posts: 107
Joined: Sun Aug 31, 2014 12:10 am
Location: USA - PA

Re: spritebank and locations

Postby Phraxas » Sun Aug 31, 2014 4:29 am

I think the issue is where he asked for all of the work and then posted it as the primary author without permission. If he asked if it's okay, then that would be entirely different, but to just go and do it is absolutely rude.
User avatar
dsdude123
level2
level2
Posts: 77
Joined: Tue May 27, 2014 2:40 am
Location: Seattle,WA
Contact:

Re: spritebank and locations

Postby dsdude123 » Sun Aug 31, 2014 4:37 am

Phraxas wrote:I think the issue is where he asked for all of the work and then posted it as the primary author without permission. If he asked if it's okay, then that would be entirely different, but to just go and do it is absolutely rude.


Yeah, he really should have sent the fixed version back to the OP and then the OP should have uploaded it and credited him.
User avatar
knoest26
level5
level5
Posts: 1380
Joined: Thu Jul 11, 2013 6:55 pm
Location: The Netherlands
Contact:

Re: spritebank and locations

Postby knoest26 » Sun Aug 31, 2014 9:36 am

You guys do realise that I set him as the co author but that thats just a pending request because he hasn't accepted it yet. If he wanted to keep the mod completely for himself he wouldn't have posted it, he wanted help and I granted him that help. I doubt whether any of you would have posted an exact instruction for him on how to do this which would help him as much as this example does. And there is no reason for me to not be allowed to upload it, he posted the image on a public site, he will be set as the co author as soon as he accepted that request and since there is no money involved the original uploader doesn't matter either.

Now please, go annoy somebody else with your moral values, if brouwerder has a problem with this he will confront me personnally and we will work that out
thekillergreece
level4
level4
Posts: 876
Joined: Wed Jun 12, 2013 1:31 pm
Location: Ammm...Greece maybe?

Re: spritebank and locations

Postby thekillergreece » Sun Aug 31, 2014 10:49 am

knoest26 wrote:You guys do realise that I set him as the co author but that thats just a pending request because he hasn't accepted it yet. If he wanted to keep the mod completely for himself he wouldn't have posted it, he wanted help and I granted him that help. I doubt whether any of you would have posted an exact instruction for him on how to do this which would help him as much as this example does. And there is no reason for me to not be allowed to upload it, he posted the image on a public site, he will be set as the co author as soon as he accepted that request and since there is no money involved the original uploader doesn't matter either.

Now please, go annoy somebody else with your moral values, if brouwerder has a problem with this he will confront me personnally and we will work that out


Nuff said
Brouwerder
level1
level1
Posts: 14
Joined: Tue Aug 12, 2014 3:55 pm

Re: spritebank and locations

Postby Brouwerder » Sun Aug 31, 2014 2:26 pm

ruben, when i ask for help
the idea of this post is to get me the help i need,
not to steal and post unfinished / ugly source material.

what u posted will now be unrefined and clutter future releases i may make
aside from the fact i didnt give u permission to use my material or to post anything.

so u dont have permission,
and you're not the author lol, all u did is add coordinates in a text file
the files i send you ware in mod format with author credentials, and u just overwrote them
so u can take your mod offline again, its not your mod.
this is exactly the reason i didnt send you the real source files.
anyway ill guess i will try to figure it out without help here, might keep the mods to myself as well then

Return to “Modding”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests