Cold War: 80's Edition

Discuss your new mods and themes here

Moderator: Defcon moderators

toiminto
level1
level1

Postby toiminto » Fri Aug 17, 2012 7:05 am

This mod seems interesting, I could see if I could do a dedicated server running the mod

edit: actually not sure if possible, Bert?
ServerMods Defcon: Cold War 1980's; ?
t/greenpeace
bert_the_turtle
level5
level5

Postby bert_the_turtle » Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:58 am

Sure, mods are possible. There is a ModPath variable, documented in the default config file. I don´t have that here right now, or I´d compose the example.
AntonCZ
level0

Postby AntonCZ » Thu Aug 23, 2012 7:49 pm

HI, nice work. Cant wait to try. But, it would absolutly great if you coul add old school crt monitor lookalike. it would fit the 80s. Editing the music would be great as well. I can imagine myself leading the soviets to war with some epic march song. These are just ideas, cosmetic changes. Keep up the good work!!
Experiment632
level2
level2

Postby Experiment632 » Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:03 pm

AntonCZ wrote:HI, nice work. Cant wait to try. But, it would absolutly great if you coul add old school crt monitor lookalike. it would fit the 80s. Editing the music would be great as well. I can imagine myself leading the soviets to war with some epic march song. These are just ideas, cosmetic changes. Keep up the good work!!
I will see if I can change the colors of the border lines a bit to a more of a green color. As for background music, how does the them from Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country sound?
AntonCZ
level0

Postby AntonCZ » Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:58 am

Great, good choice. More Green borders could make the feel. However, what would be absolutely stuning would be scanlines: http://img708.imageshack.us/img708/6746/4xtfivcrop.png. Something that makes the old games feel old school. As for the music, some Kraftwerk stuff (The Robots, Spacelab) would be great. Its from 70s.

I have a good feeling about this mod.

PS: How is it with CUBA in this mod?
Experiment632
level2
level2

Postby Experiment632 » Sat Sep 29, 2012 6:58 am

I am in the process of working on an entirely new version for my Cold War 1980's mod which will be Version 2.8.

Like Versions 1.7 & 2.7, the Soviet Union faction has been divided into two different factions for the purpose of making NATO versus Warsaw Pact much more interesting. However unlike those previous versions, both NATO factions have been merged into one faction which also includes South Korea, Japan, & Taiwan. This obviously give the Soviets a 2-1 advantage over the United States & its Western Allies; this could be considered more realistic considering the Soviets had many more nukes then the West during the 1980's. However this will be balanced out by using the USA-PRC Rapprochement to have China side with the United States and its allies against the Soviet Union. In fact, this scenario is meant for an alliance between China and the West against the Soviet Union made possible by the Sino-Soviet Split plus President Nixon's 1972 visit to China (and all subsequent meetings between the leaders of both states since that time).

North Korea will not be with China in this version. Instead they will be with the Soviet Union, more specifically with USSR-WARPAC(W). That way the player using USSR-WARPAC(W) can get a good view of South Korea & Japan and/or assist USSR-WARPAC(E) in fighting the US Pacific Fleet. I might add a very small sea zone there enough for just one fleet. It is recommended only subs be placed there; any surface ships would be eaten for lunch by the Sino-American fleets (any subs would likely be smart to get the hell out of dodge before Defcon Three plus the amount of time it takes for a carrier to ready its anti-sub weapons).

Like 2.7, Indian Ocean sea zone off Somalia coast belongs to USSR-WARPAC(W) while Angola & Atlantic sea zone (near Angola) belongs to USSR-WARPAC(E). Cuba also belongs to USSR-WARPAC(W).

I intend to perform some tests in the next couple days. As I do, I will be sure to collect and post screenshots as I have done with the previous versions.

Also added the countries that were figthing the South African Border War throughout the 1980's. South Africa & Namibia are aligned with NATO & China while Angola, Zambia, & Mozambique are aligned with the Soviet Union. (inspired by the Larry Bond Novel: Vortex). I considered making South Africa w/Namibia a part of the NATO faction but that would have forced NATO to spread themselves even more thinner so I decided to have South Africa and China be the same faction.
Experiment632
level2
level2

Postby Experiment632 » Sat Sep 29, 2012 8:49 pm

Okay I have taken some screenshots depicting the Cold War powers; one for individual factions and the other for the alliances recommended for this version. Any recommendations for additions and/or changes are welcome

Cold War 1980's Version 2.8 World Map

v2.8 Alliances
Last edited by Experiment632 on Tue Oct 02, 2012 5:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
BMN
level2
level2

Postby BMN » Sun Sep 30, 2012 9:21 pm

looks pretty cool, what are the other two territories?
Experiment632
level2
level2

Postby Experiment632 » Sun Sep 30, 2012 11:17 pm

BMN wrote:looks pretty cool, what are the other two territories?

Faction 5: Oceania-Columbia: Australia, New Zealand, New Guinea, Indonesia, Thailand, Burma, Pakistan, Trinidad and Tobago, Chile, & Columbia

Faction 6: India-Argentina: India, Argentina, Brazil, Peru, & Libya

Alliance setup: Though the two new factions are supposed to be non-aligned, it is likely Oceania-Columbia would have backed the USA and NATO. As for India-Argentina, India would likely not want to be involved in a war on the same side as China--not to mention there is the Indo-Soviet Treaty of Friendship and Cooperation. So I think the India-Argentina faction could possibly side with the Soviets. Might actually be interesting to see an Indo-Soviet coalition as the setup in this new version is most suited compared to the others.

Also I have decided to restore all the default cities and populations so Australia's ridiculously high population is back to normal while India's multiple cities and high population count is back. West and East Berlin are the only edits that were maintained. As most people know, in a Russia vs. China game, Russia has a very big advantage. With India on the side of the USSR, China will be in even more hot water as the few areas concealed from Soviet radar would be revealed without risk to the Soviet air force. By having the default populations restored, it is easier for the Sino-NATO alliance to make the Indo-Soviet alliance pay for their big advantage over China by making it easier to inflict equally devastating damage when it come massive mega-deaths. Initial tests have proven promising.
BMN
level2
level2

Postby BMN » Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:40 am

wow this is incredible! I love your ideas and admire how well you seem to research the alliance system :D :D :D
Experiment632
level2
level2

Postby Experiment632 » Tue Oct 02, 2012 5:34 am

Cold War 1980's Version 2.8 World Map--ALL FACTIONS

v2.8 Alliances--ALL FACTIONS
Experiment632
level2
level2

Postby Experiment632 » Wed Oct 17, 2012 5:31 am

Good news! The new mod is ready! Instead of Version 2.8, I have titled the new mod "Defcon: Cold War 1980's Version Three". Below is the link to the new mod. Enjoy!

http://www.moddb.com/mods/defcon-cold-w ... sion-three
Lord_Haw_Haw
level3
level3

Postby Lord_Haw_Haw » Wed Oct 17, 2012 6:24 am

Experiment632 wrote:Good news! The new mod is ready! Instead of Version 2.8, I have titled the new mod "Defcon: Cold War 1980's Version Three". Below is the link to the new mod. Enjoy!

Just downloaded it, its looks Awesome! gonna go play it now!
Forever Young
level5
level5

Postby Forever Young » Tue Oct 23, 2012 11:44 pm

Lord_Haw_Haw wrote:
Experiment632 wrote:Good news! The new mod is ready! Instead of Version 2.8, I have titled the new mod "Defcon: Cold War 1980's Version Three". Below is the link to the new mod. Enjoy!

Just downloaded it, its looks Awesome! gonna go play it now!

yeah, it looks interesting! i will try it soon. thx for your work! :D
ChikkaChiChi
level0

Postby ChikkaChiChi » Sun Nov 11, 2012 2:00 am

As someone completely new to DEFCON by way of Prison Architect, I thank you :)

Return to “Mod Projects”