Cold War: 80's Edition

Discuss your new mods and themes here

Moderator: Defcon moderators

Korean
level2
level2

Postby Korean » Mon May 14, 2012 10:08 pm

Also, it may be a good idea to give W USSR some water off of Ethiopia, simply to give W USSR a path to the Indian/Pac.
Experiment632
level2
level2

Postby Experiment632 » Mon May 14, 2012 10:58 pm

Korean wrote:Also, it may be a good idea to give W USSR some water off of Ethiopia, simply to give W USSR a path to the Indian/Pac.
Hmm, very good idea Korean. I should have thought of that sooner. That would give W USSR the ability to protect its southern flank since many players like attacking the Soviet Union from the Indian Ocean. I have added it to the faction map for 1.7. Since the Arab League is not in 1.7, their sea zone in the Indian Ocean will go to W USSR. Before I post, I want to make sure all bases are covered so I won't have to repost again. You have any other ideas at all that may help?
Last edited by Experiment632 on Tue May 15, 2012 1:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
BMN
level2
level2

Postby BMN » Mon May 14, 2012 11:14 pm

I played a game with US-NATO vs argentina-brazil and realized that arg-bra has no way or defending itself from the pacific, perhaps if they could place fleet in pac they'd do better because a game between any pacific power and arg-bra is scewed.

Also, the Arab league has the same problem but with the atlantic side of africa. If the Arab league goes against argentina-brazil or USA-NATO, their navy has to go all the way around africa, while the enemy can strike from the undefendable altlantic salient in the arab league's side.
Experiment632
level2
level2

Postby Experiment632 » Mon May 14, 2012 11:40 pm

BMN wrote:I played a game with US-NATO vs argentina-brazil and realized that arg-bra has no way or defending itself from the pacific, perhaps if they could place fleet in pac they'd do better because a game between any pacific power and arg-bra is scewed.

Also, the Arab league has the same problem but with the atlantic side of africa. If the Arab league goes against argentina-brazil or USA-NATO, their navy has to go all the way around africa, while the enemy can strike from the undefendable altlantic salient in the arab league's side.
Okay, I corrected the problem with Argentina-Brazil. As for the Arab League, I am giving them a sea zone in the Atlantic, however I must point out that the Arabs can have a bigger problem since in Version 1.0 the USA player could simply place a single silo in Israel which could easily be used to implement the "Samson Option". Several of the larger Arab cities can very easily be crushed due to their close proximity to Israel, namely Cairo, Beirut, Damascus, and Baghdad. In turn, the Arab League's nuclear silos can be very hard to reach since usually they launch and return to AA mode long before my fleet can arrive in the Gulf. The Arabs have proven to be one of the more harder factions to be beat by the US as a conflict typically break virtually even. Nonetheless I have added a sea zone for them as well.

If you (or anyone else for that matter) see any other room for improvement, please let me know ASAP.
Experiment632
level2
level2

Postby Experiment632 » Tue May 15, 2012 8:00 am

I have modified the faction setup slightly regarding Version 1.7 with the two USSR factions. I have added a sea zone for USSR (W) near Ethiopia, thereby giving them easier access to the Indian and Pacific Oceans, plus they can protect their southern flank. I also added Angola to USSR (E) and placed a sea zone of the coast of Angola in order to give them easier access to the Atlantic. It also can take pressure off of the USSR (W) fleet in the Atlantic since the NATO Atlantic naval forces will now be forced to place several of their ships further south. I also gave South Africa to the India-Oceania faction, however they aren't on this map since I only have the NATO & WARPAC factions on the map at the moment. I have not yet uploaded the edited version just in case someone else wants to point something out and/or make a suggestion.

Last edited by Experiment632 on Sun May 20, 2012 12:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
BMN
level2
level2

Postby BMN » Tue May 15, 2012 5:12 pm

Australia and Indonesia need a lot more cities, as almost all of India-Oceania cities end up in India, especially when on totallyrandom city configuration
Experiment632
level2
level2

Postby Experiment632 » Tue May 15, 2012 6:31 pm

BMN wrote:Australia and Indonesia need a lot more cities, as almost all of India-Oceania cities end up in India, especially when on totallyrandom city configuration
Okay, I have dealt with the problem regarding India. I have removed most of the cities of India, but kept several of them, mainly the more well known ones internationally such as Bombay, Calcutta, Delhi, and a couple others. I also increased the population count in the Australian cities of Melbourne and Sydney, as well as the South African cities of Port Elizabeth and Johannesburg. Also I am thinking of adding South Africa to the India-Oceania faction in both versions 1.0 and 1.5 as well. I am open to more suggestions.
sfericz
level5
level5

Postby sfericz » Tue May 15, 2012 9:06 pm

Hey Experiment632, great work on this mod. When your finished, I was wondering if you would like to take on another mod? A 2v2 "fair mod". I think it would make a 2v2 tournament fun and fair from those North vs South setups, where the south has the advantage.

Basicly the idea is simple. Either NA & SA vs EU & Africa OR Asia & Russia vs NA & SA. With territorial waters being the exact same. Meaning i.e., NA & SA VS Asia and Russia would have the same sized waters for placement in the Pacific. So the naval placement would be four boxes mirroring each other.

I will go into more detail & fine tuning if you agree.
Experiment632
level2
level2

Postby Experiment632 » Tue May 15, 2012 11:33 pm

sfericz wrote:Hey Experiment632, great work on this mod. When your finished, I was wondering if you would like to take on another mod? A 2v2 "fair mod". I think it would make a 2v2 tournament fun and fair from those North vs South setups, where the south has the advantage.

Basicly the idea is simple. Either NA & SA vs EU & Africa OR Asia & Russia vs NA & SA. With territorial waters being the exact same. Meaning i.e., NA & SA VS Asia and Russia would have the same sized waters for placement in the Pacific. So the naval placement would be four boxes mirroring each other.

I will go into more detail & fine tuning if you agree.
That sounds good. Be a bit though since I got a very long way to go with this mod. Got to work out some small bugs in regards to balancing things out, coming up with graphics, and a few other things.
Experiment632
level2
level2

Postby Experiment632 » Wed May 16, 2012 2:09 am

Okay, I have made many edits to Version 1.7 and have taken a screenshot to show the faction setup. Albania WILL NOT be in the Chinese Alliance anymore due to the Sino-Albanian Split occurring in the 70's that I just read about. However I have given them Somalia since the Arab League is not used in Version 1.7 along with a sea zone. Also Taiwan has been given to Oceania-India along with S. Africa. The population problem in India has been dealt with. Similar adjustments have been made in versions 1.0 and 1.5 for Oceania-India.

Last edited by Experiment632 on Sun May 20, 2012 12:50 am, edited 2 times in total.
Experiment632
level2
level2

Postby Experiment632 » Sun May 20, 2012 12:43 am

Okay I have submitted Defcon: Cold War 1980's Version Two Pack. Several changes were made to balance out the game plus add or remove certain elements to the faction setup. In 2.0 & 2.5, the Arab League now has a sea zone in the Atlantic. In 2.5, Argentina-Brazil now has a Pacific sea zone. In 2.7, USSR(W) is given a sea zone in the Indian Ocean near Ethiopia while USSR(E) is given Angola and an Atlantic sea zone. To solve a serious balance problem with India-Oceania, several cities are removed from India, plus South Africa is added to the same faction in all three mod folders. China no longer has Albania due to the 1978 Sino-Albanian Split. Also Taiwan has been removed from the China faction and given to Oceania-India. Since the Arab League is not included in Version 2.7, Somalia has added to the China faction. Several other tweaks and edits were made as well. Also I edited the mod comment which appears when selecting the mod in the game menu.

2.0 & 2.5: It is the 1980's. US-Soviet relations have greatly deteriorated. The Soviet Union continues its war in Afghanistan. The Soviets have shoot down Korean Air Lines Flight 007. The United States invades Grenada and puts down a Cuban-backed communist government. During those turbulent years, the Third World War seemed to be just around the corner.

2.7: 1983: The United States invades Grenada to restore the constitutional government there. Cuban forces execute the American students at the University in Grenada, provoking a US invasion of Cuba. The Soviet Union condemns the invasion and offers to assist Cuba. In Europe, tensions escalate as West Berlin is blockaded and Soviet troops amass near the inter German border. The Third World War is about to begin...
Experiment632
level2
level2

Postby Experiment632 » Sun May 20, 2012 3:32 am

Defcon: Cold War 1980's Version Two Pack is now available for download!

http://www.moddb.com/downloads/defcon-c ... n-two-pack
sfericz
level5
level5

Postby sfericz » Sun May 20, 2012 3:57 am

Great, so now that your done with 2. Want to play it? We should setup a match.
OpenFlow
level2
level2

Postby OpenFlow » Sun Aug 12, 2012 3:21 am

Great work! One question, this seems not entirely balanced. Why is China not stronger?

I'm hosting mine on Mod DB like you did with yours as well!

http://www.moddb.com/mods/defcon-cold-war-1980s
-----
The OpenFlow
Experiment632
level2
level2

Postby Experiment632 » Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:23 am

Comment Deleted
Last edited by Experiment632 on Fri Aug 17, 2012 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Mod Projects”