Cold War: 80's Edition

Discuss your new mods and themes here

Moderator: Defcon moderators

Experiment632
level2
level2

Cold War: 80's Edition

Postby Experiment632 » Fri May 04, 2012 3:29 am

Good news! I am currently making great progress in creating a brand new Cold War mod, with the setting being in the 1980's. I still have a ways to go, however I pretty much have the map itself squared away. Also East Berlin has been added to the map. Berlin has been renamed to West Berlin. Due to the fact that West Berlin was technically an occupied city during the Cold War, I decided to change the name of the owner of W. Berlin from Germany to "Western Allies." Also in this new mod, West Berlin is now under the control of the United States since they are essentially the primary military power in the city, plus it further clarifies its status as an occupied city. Also added Greenland to the US to represent Thule Air Base. I also added Australia, New Zealand, & New Guinea to the map. The Falkland Islands have been added to the Euro faction to give the player the ability to handicap the enemy's ability to sneak through the Drake Passage unnoticed.

Since the map is now all but finished, I will now focus on the Graphics File. If anyone knows where I can find some good graphics files, please comment here or drop me a line.

Cold War: 80's Edition Factions:
United States: United States (including Hawaii), Canada, Greenland, West Berlin, & Israel
NATO-Europe: United Kingdom, France, Belgium, Netherlands, Luxembourg, Portugal, Italy, Norway, Denmark, Iceland, Greece, Turkey, West Germany, & Spain. Also includes the Falkland Islands
Oceania-India: Australia, New Zealand, New Guinea, Indonesia, Japan, South Korea, & India
Soviet Union: Soviet Union, Hungary, Czechoslovakia, Poland, Bulgaria, Romania, East Germany, Mongolia, Cuba, & Afghanistan
Red China: People's Republic of China, North Korea, Pakistan, Iran, & Albania
Arab League: Algeria, Bahrain, Djibouti, Egypt, Iraq, Jordan, Kuwait, Leganon, Libya, Mauritania, Morocco, Oman, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Somalia, Sudan, Syria, Tunisia, United Arab Emirates, & Yemen

Alliance Recommendations:
Team 1: United States, NATO-Europe, & Oceania-India
Team 2: Soviet Union, Red China, & Arab League
OR
Team 1: United States, NATO-Europe, & Oceania-India
Team 2: Soviet Union & Arab League
Team 3: Red China

Cold War World Map

Central Europe

West & East Berlin sub-mod:
W. Berlin Western Allies
13.416700 52.533298 1879225 1
E. Berlin East Germany
14.103394 52.010433 1279212 1
Last edited by Experiment632 on Thu May 10, 2012 4:46 am, edited 3 times in total.
BMN
level2
level2

Postby BMN » Fri May 04, 2012 8:25 pm

very cool 8)
Korean
level2
level2

Postby Korean » Fri May 04, 2012 9:23 pm

Just saying... but this game seems very unbalanced for India... some cities in Australia may help.
Experiment632
level2
level2

Postby Experiment632 » Tue May 08, 2012 9:41 am

Okay, balance problem with Oceania-India has been worked out. I increased the size of the Australian cities of Melbourne and Sydney, plus I added the nation of Indonesia to the same faction. The map at the beginning of this topic has been properly edited. Will now focus on the next phase: Graphics.

Cold War: 80's Edition Mod Cover
Last edited by Experiment632 on Sun May 13, 2012 2:45 am, edited 2 times in total.
Experiment632
level2
level2

Postby Experiment632 » Thu May 10, 2012 11:10 am

Cold War 1980's Version 1.0 is now complete. I have submitted it and hopefully available soon. And I have also completed a different version of this very same mod, which I shall refer to as Version 1.5. I will also add to the title screen several references to various 1980's conflicts which could have easily escalated into World War Three, such as the 1982 Falkland War, the 1983 US Invasion of Grenada, the Iran-Iraq War, etc.

The biggest difference between 1.0 and 1.5 is the fact that the United States faction and NATO-Europe faction are both merged into one single faction named USA-NATO. With a slot now open for a sixth faction, Argentina-Brazil has been added, which could open the possibility of depicting a horrifying alternate ending to the 1982 Falkland War.

Cold War 1980's Faction Setup:

USA-NATO: United States (including Hawaii), Canada, Greenland, West Berlin, Israel, United Kingdom, France, Belgium, Netherlands, Luxembourg, Portugal, Italy, Norway, Denmark, Iceland, Greece, Turkey, West Germany, & Spain. Also includes the Falkland Islands

USSR-WARPAC: Soviet Union, Hungary, Czechoslovakia, Poland, Bulgaria, Romania, East Germany, Mongolia, Cuba, & Afghanistan

Oceania-India: Australia, New Zealand, New Guinea, Indonesia, Japan, South Korea, & India

Red China: People's Republic of China, North Korea, Pakistan, Iran, & Albania

Arab League: Algeria, Bahrain, Djibouti, Egypt, Iraq, Jordan, Kuwait, Leganon, Libya, Mauritania, Morocco, Oman, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Somalia, Sudan, Syria, Tunisia, United Arab Emirates, & Yemen

Argentina-Brazil: Argentina & Brazil

Alliance Recommendations:
Team 1: USA-NATO
Team 2: USSR-WARPAC
OR
Team 1: USA-NATO
Team 2: USSR-WARPAC
Team 3: Red China
OR
Team 1: USA-NATO & Red China
Team 2: USSR-WARPAC & Arab League
OR
Team 1: USA-NATO & Oceania-India
Team 2: USSR-WARPAC & Red China

Also an interesting "strange bedfellows" scenario.
Team 1: USA-NATO & USSR-WARPAC
Team 2: Red China & Arab League

Many more scenarios could also be used with this mod besides the ones I mentioned. This scenario is primarily designed to simulate World War Three between the Warsaw Pact and NATO, any balance issues with the smaller factions can easily be compensated by aligning with each other or with one of the larger powers.

Cold War 1980's v1.5 World Map
sfericz
level5
level5

Postby sfericz » Fri May 11, 2012 2:55 am

Keep up the good work, doing a great job.
Korean
level2
level2

Postby Korean » Fri May 11, 2012 8:54 pm

Is Greenland part of EU? It should be, because of real life and to balance the game.

I'm reasonably sure Greenland is part of Denmark, and it would balance the game because EU can then place their silos out of radar range of an Arab/Soviet Alliance.
kudayta
Introversion Staff
Introversion Staff

Postby kudayta » Fri May 11, 2012 9:31 pm

Korean wrote:I'm reasonably sure Greenland is part of Denmark, and it would balance the game because EU can then place their silos out of radar range of an Arab/Soviet Alliance.

It's in the Kingdom of Denmark, but Greenland's an autonomous country. Basically, they've got home rule, but the Danes call the shots on foreign affairs and finance.

Greenland left the European Community in 1985, and was never a part of the European Union.
Experiment632
level2
level2

Postby Experiment632 » Fri May 11, 2012 10:11 pm

Korean wrote:Is Greenland part of EU? It should be, because of real life and to balance the game.

I'm reasonably sure Greenland is part of Denmark, and it would balance the game because EU can then place their silos out of radar range of an Arab/Soviet Alliance.
Hmm... that does sound like a good idea. Yeah, I have noticed that an Arab-Soviet Alliance can very easily crush NATO-Europe without a second breath. The only reason I still one was because I was able to have Israel (US-owned) implement the "Samson Option", killing off over half of the Arab population with just the single missile silo stationed in that country. I mainly gave Greenland to the US so that the United States could have a land-based bomber base closer to the Soviet Union. Perhaps in Version 1.0, I can reassign Greenland to NATO Europe but possibly keep enough land for the US to station a single airfield. Obviously Greenland is not a major issue in Version 1.5 since both NATO factions are merged together.
Experiment632
level2
level2

Postby Experiment632 » Sat May 12, 2012 4:07 am

Okay, problem from earlier has been solved. I guess the game just didn't like how I transferred most of Greenland from North America to Western Europe in CW1980's Version 1.0. Anyways, I have submitted both versions of the mod and now I am now awaiting approval. Also I made an edit to "english" file in the "language" folder. I replaced the nuclear and radiation facts with political and military information of the 1980's. The Introversion and Defcon credits themselves still remain. Below is what I added.

SOVIET WAR IN AFGHANISTAN
US INVASION OF GRENADA
SALVADORAN CIVIL WAR
SHOOT DOWN OF KOREAN AIR LINES FLIGHT 007
ABLE ARCHER 83
REAGAN ASSASSINATION ATTEMPT
ISRAELI AIR STRIKE ON IRAQ NUCLEAR REACTOR
1982 LEBABON WAR
1983 BEIRUT BARRACKS BOMBING
US AERIAL BOMBARDMENT OF LIBYA
IRAN-IRAQ WAR
FALKLANDS WAR
SOUTH AFRICAN BORDER WAR
ANGOLAN CIVIL WAR
COLOMBIAN DRUG WAR
CHERNOBYL DISASTER
Experiment632
level2
level2

Postby Experiment632 » Sat May 12, 2012 6:51 pm

I have yet another version of the Cold War 1980's mod. In this one, NATO-USA & NATO-EUROPE are two separate factions just like in Version 1.0. The big difference is that the USSR-WARPAC faction is now divided into two factions: USSR-WARPAC (W) & USSR-WARPAC (E). This essentially doubles the unit count when combining factions. I also added Vietnam, Laos, Cambodia, and Ethiopia to the USSR factions. Likely version will be 1.7. Version 2 series is for when I start editing graphics.

NATO-USA: United States (including Hawaii), Canada, Greenland (northwest coastal area), West Berlin, & Israel.

NATO-Europe: United Kingdom, France, Belgium, Netherlands, Luxembourg, Portugal, Italy, Norway, Denmark, Iceland, Greenland (except northwest coastal area), Greece, Turkey, West Germany, &Spain. Also includes the Falkland Islands

USSR-WARPAC(W): Soviet Union(W), Hungary, Czechoslovakia, Poland, Bulgaria, Romania, East Germany, Cuba, & Ethiopia

USSR-WARPAC(E): Soviet Union(E), Mongolia, Afghanistan, Vietnam, Cambodia, & Laos

Note: The India-Oceania & Red China factions are in this mod, though this conflict focuses primarily on NATO versus WARPAC.

Below is the map with the two NATO & two WARPAC factions. Obviously when playing, the NATO factions will be on one team and the WARPAC factions on the other team. Only had them in different colors as a reference. It is extremely and highly recommended that defection be disabled! Also this can be played with just two players with one player taking both NATO teams and the other taking both WARPAC teams. When WARPAC is played by AI, they seem to have a tendency to place everything in the Pacific. In my test, WARPAC only placed two carriers, two battleships, and one sub in the Atlantic. This resulted in a very huge sea battle which required me to use all subs based in the Pacific against the fleet. The radar installations in Alaska and Hawaii should make it easy to keep the US surface fleet in the Pacific at a safe distance while the subs take care of as many Soviet carriers as possible. The temptation to use bombers too soon should be ignored as that provokes the carriers into scrambling their fighters. And we all know that once the fighters take off, so do their bombers and that would be very bad for the US surface ships. Now obviously Atlantic naval forces are needed plus having enough subs there to wipe out the enemy silos is advised as well. Keep in mind that together, the USSR now has 12 silos! Now with four human players, obviously there is no placing WARPAC (W) naval units in the Pacific.

BMN
level2
level2

Postby BMN » Sun May 13, 2012 7:28 pm

these are just awesome... :shock:
Experiment632
level2
level2

Postby Experiment632 » Mon May 14, 2012 1:33 am

Defcon: Cold War 1980's Version One Mod Pack has just been posted! So far, it is now available for download on Mod DB and Indie DB.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/defcon-cold-w ... n-one-pack
http://www.indiedb.com/mods/defcon-cold ... n-one-pack
Korean
level2
level2

Postby Korean » Mon May 14, 2012 2:07 am

Experiment632 wrote:Defcon: Cold War 1980's Version One Mod Pack has just been posted! So far, it is now available for download on Mod DB and Indie DB.

http://www.moddb.com/mods/defcon-cold-w ... n-one-pack
http://www.indiedb.com/mods/defcon-cold ... n-one-pack

Me gets first!
BMN
level2
level2

Postby BMN » Mon May 14, 2012 6:03 am

I just tried it out and... it's indescribably awesome
However, I have acomment to make. your west-ussr and east-ussr division can cause trouble, say if territory or alliance assignment is random. After a test, I figure the west has an advantage over the east, but both are vulnerable without each other.I wonder if there could be a way to make them more independent? anyways, just a thought. I honestly can't think of any way of making it better than it already is.

Three cheers for my new favorite modder!

Return to “Mod Projects”