Middle East Mod

Discuss your new mods and themes here

Moderator: Defcon moderators

General Jhon
level1
level1

Middle East Mod

Postby General Jhon » Fri Feb 17, 2012 2:07 pm

Hi everyone, glad to see these forums are still alive!

Plot:

Iran reached its nuclear ambitions. To create a safer position for her against the alarmed world, warheads were also sent to the friend to the west, syria. Fearing escalation, Israel and Jordan signed a military pact against "provoked attacks on them".
Soon enough, NATO deployed warheads in Egypt, Turkey and Saudia, to repel a possible invasion.

It's only a matter of time before the first bullet is shot...

Pictures:
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/72/40638575.png/

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/52/81928286.png/

Version 0.9:
http://www.2shared.com/file/KUXOvDbv/mi ... od_09.html
Last edited by General Jhon on Sat Feb 18, 2012 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bert_the_turtle
level5
level5

Re: Middle East Mod

Postby bert_the_turtle » Fri Feb 17, 2012 4:33 pm

General Jhon wrote:1. Add Iraq as a seventh player - I'd love some info on how to do this!
That is impossible, sadly.
General Jhon
level1
level1

Postby General Jhon » Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:23 am

Modder's journal:

I'm having a difficult time creating this mod. could you help me with the following?

1. I drew borders on the map using Modsuite, they all work other than the Saudia-Yemen border which, for some reason, does not display in-game.
2. ships can be deployed in the area defined as "water" and "sailable", but cannot move (they're bogged down)
3. again, using Modsuite, i place the cities, but sometimes they deployed a little north to where i put them.

other than that, there are also good news! the city-placing is advancing, I've just run a test game as Syria against Turkey, and it looked nice! hopefully, with your help, I can get past the trouble and get this mod done!
bert_the_turtle
level5
level5

Postby bert_the_turtle » Sat Feb 18, 2012 2:03 pm

General Jhon wrote:1. I drew borders on the map using Modsuite, they all work other than the Saudia-Yemen border which, for some reason, does not display in-game

There is a bug that makes the last border (or border group, probably) not displayed. Just add a dummy one.
General Jhon wrote:2. ships can be deployed in the area defined as "water" and "sailable", but cannot move (they're bogged down)
Have you added navigation nodes? Ships can only move to places reachable from those in a straight line.
General Jhon
level1
level1

Postby General Jhon » Sat Feb 18, 2012 3:26 pm

Thanks for your help, bert_the_turtle. I fixed the border, but i really had a hard time creating travel nodes so i just created a blank, black file. care to help me with that?

Despite the immobilized ships, i uploaded a first version.
Enjoy and feel free to send out constructive criticism!
bert_the_turtle
level5
level5

Postby bert_the_turtle » Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:51 am

Here you go, raw version:
middleeast_travel.zip
Includes a .bmp and the source gimp file. How to make your own travel nodes:
take sailable.bmp, rescale it to 800x445. Crop it to 800x400 with as many pixels cropped on the top and at the bottom (+/- 1, of course). Make it darker. Put travel nodes in as white dots.
For the final distributed version, you can increase the contrast so that only the white dots remain (and save it as indexed). But it needs to be 800x400, unlike the other .bmps, its size is hardcoded. And also unlike the other .bmps, its coordinates get translated to -90 to +90 latitude, not -100 to +100 (that's why we cropped from 445 to 400).

Two problems:
1. Your land mass extends beyond the south pole, it is not possible to set navigation nodes there so ships can automatically navigate around it. Manually instructing them to go there is still possible. It will also make problems for people with wide screen monitors, they may not be able to scroll down far enough. You probably don't want to redo everything, so you'll either have to live with that or just cut off a bit of land at the bottom.
2. The Suez Canal is too narrow to navigate it reliably. You'll either need to delete the navigation nodes there to block it or make it a pixel or two wider. You only need to do that in sailable.bmp.
General Jhon
level1
level1

Postby General Jhon » Sat Feb 25, 2012 9:54 am

Thanks a lot, will be added as soon as i have the time to work on this mod more.
and i won't forget you on the credits! :)

Return to “Mod Projects”