Seeking a sound

Discuss your new mods and themes here

Moderator: Defcon moderators

Kuth
level4
level4

Seeking a sound

Postby Kuth » Fri Mar 18, 2011 9:47 am

Now and again sound effects will get stuck in my head, and I'd want to re-use or repurpose them elsewhere if I can, or at least hear them raw.

Recently I unpacked the sounds for Defcon looking for a particular sound. It's the SFX played whenever the Defcon status warning is being 'read out' over the screen. It's like a low droning that plays as the type is laid down, followed by a one-tone siren at the end.

I previewed all of the sound effects I thought would likely to be what I'm looking for, but no dice. Anyone know where it is or what form it takes?
trickser
level5
level5

Postby trickser » Fri Mar 18, 2011 11:06 am

You probably mean defconstage.ogg. But it sounds different in game because its pichted down.

in sound.txt:

Code: Select all

EVENT DefconChange
                SOUNDNAME          defconstage
                SOURCETYPE         0
                POSITIONTYPE       0
                INSTANCETYPE       0
                LOOPTYPE           0
                MINDISTANCE        100.00
                VOLUME             PARAMETER TypeFixedValue        7.00  UpdateConstantly
                FREQUENCY          PARAMETER TypeFixedValue        0.39  UpdateConstantly

See, frequency is only 0.39 of original frequency. (If this number actually means that)
If I open it in audacity and change the speed by -61% it sounds very much like in game, but not sure if this is the right operation.
Kuth
level4
level4

Postby Kuth » Fri Mar 18, 2011 7:44 pm

Yeah that seems to be it. I'm not surprised since many of the elements/parts of these sound files I never hear in DEFCON.

Thanks Trickster!

Return to “Mod Projects”