Modding questions from a newb?

Discuss your new mods and themes here

Moderator: Defcon moderators

rome87
level2
level2

Postby rome87 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 2:52 pm

Sorry to go other this again but does anyone know if their is a trainer available where i can have unlimited nukes in silos etc ?

Does enabling variable unit counts allow more units to placed overall when compared to normal mode?
bert_the_turtle
level5
level5

Postby bert_the_turtle » Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:19 pm

rome87 wrote:Sorry to go other this again but does anyone know if their is a trainer available where i can have unlimited nukes in silos etc ?
Not as a mod, but it's technically possible someone make a cheat file for one of the many PC cheat programs. The number of nukes or the test when they ran out must be somewhere in the code and thus can be patched out.

rome87 wrote:Does enabling variable unit counts allow more units to placed overall when compared to normal mode?
The mathematical and useless answer to this question is "yes". But you need to adapt your placement and use more cheap units. If you're counting bombers and fighters as units, that would be air bases and carriers. The answer you're probably looking for is "no". If you place your regular unit mix, you use up your budget completely.

BigWorld lets you place more units, but it also changes a lot of other things.
rome87
level2
level2

Postby rome87 » Sat Apr 23, 2011 10:20 pm

How do i change the configuation code to have the following:

Two teams me and one ai player 3 continents each.
Have twice the number of units than wordscale 100 but play in worldscale 100 .

Code: Select all

Include authkey
Include ConfigVersion-1.43-beta1
# put your configuration below this line
minplayers 0
maxteams 2
AddCPU
AddCPU
WorldScale 200
WaitDefcon 3
WorldScale 100
bert_the_turtle
level5
level5

Postby bert_the_turtle » Sat Apr 23, 2011 10:44 pm

That's close, but

Include authkey
Include ConfigVersion-1.43-beta1
# put your configuration below this line
CheckLimits 0
MinPlayers 0
MaxTeams 2
TerritoriesPerTeam 3
AddCPU
WorldScale 200
WaitGameSeconds 1
WorldScale 100

It could be you need to wait for Defcon 3. Changing WorldScale while the game is running is technically not allowed, I don't know whether it'll adapt the unit count limits on the fly or not.
rome87
level2
level2

Postby rome87 » Sun Apr 24, 2011 10:08 am

Im getting in the chat box "not enough players online yet 2 are required " even though there is 1 ai player and 1 human player on the server ? What i did is ran the dedconsettings .exe which had this config then joined the server in defcon.exe.

Another question with the command window open in dedcon what command is used to start the game ?

Why is there very little in the way of documentation for dedcon no list of commands with descriptions etc or a nooob friendly quick start guide?
bert_the_turtle
level5
level5

Postby bert_the_turtle » Sun Apr 24, 2011 11:41 am

rome87 wrote:Im getting in the chat box "not enough players online yet 2 are required " even though there is 1 ai player and 1 human player on the server ? What i did is ran the dedconsettings .exe which had this config then joined the server in defcon.exe.
Oh, sorry, it's MinTeams, not MinPlayers.

Another question with the command window open in dedcon what command is used to start the game ?
You can't do that directly, players have to click 'Ready'.

Why is there very little in the way of documentation for dedcon no list of commands with descriptions etc or a nooob friendly quick start guide?
Look at the included ConfigFile.sample, that is a list of all commands with descriptions what they do. There is no noob friendly guide for what you're trying to do because you're not doing noob stuff.
rome87
level2
level2

Postby rome87 » Sun Apr 24, 2011 1:01 pm

bert_the_turtle wrote:
rome87 wrote:Im getting in the chat box "not enough players online yet 2 are required " even though there is 1 ai player and 1 human player on the server ? What i did is ran the dedconsettings .exe which had this config then joined the server in defcon.exe.
Oh, sorry, it's MinTeams, not MinPlayers.

You can't do that directly, players have to click 'Ready'.

Look at the included ConfigFile.sample, that is a list of all commands with descriptions what they do. There is no noob friendly guide for what you're trying to do because you're not doing noob stuff.
thx, but for some reason i dont get any extra units like in worldscale 200 but played in worldscale 100 ?
bert_the_turtle
level5
level5

Postby bert_the_turtle » Sun Apr 24, 2011 1:53 pm

You'll need to experiment with different ways to modify the world scale, then. Maybe the original idea with "WaitDefcon 3" was better.
rome87
level2
level2

Postby rome87 » Sun Apr 24, 2011 2:19 pm

That did it forgot the GameMode 6.
rome87
level2
level2

Postby rome87 » Sun Apr 24, 2011 3:18 pm

Sorry to on like a broken record but is it possible to say start a game human vs 1 ai bot with 3 territories each so you get max units available but then change the max number of territories each to 1 so you get maximum units available but only control 1 territory ?
bert_the_turtle
level5
level5

Postby bert_the_turtle » Sun Apr 24, 2011 6:21 pm

You can try experimenting with TerritoriesPerTeam and change it on the fly; however, territory selection and thus actual territory number determination is done in the lobby and units are assigned later. Maybe

TerritoriesPerTeam 1
OnStartCountdown TerritoriesPerTeam 3

does it. The theory is that this lets you select one territory per player, then press 'ready', the countdown starts, and then more territories are made available, but hopefully not auto-selected by the AI. Or

TerritoriesPerTeam 1
WaitStart
TerritoriesPerTeam 3

All with CheckLimits 0 and GameMode 6. All of this relies on unspecified client behavior and probably will not work.
rome87
level2
level2

Postby rome87 » Sat Apr 30, 2011 1:25 pm

I find that even setting territory population to just 10 million there are still always at least 1/2 million survivors after i /ai run out of nukes.Is there any way to increase the numbers killed by a nuke blast ?
trickser
level5
level5

Postby trickser » Sat Apr 30, 2011 4:41 pm

rome87 wrote:Is there any way to increase the numbers killed by a nuke blast ?

Your questions are funny. The correct answer is: Yes, raise the territory population and every nuke will kill more population.

Nukes reduce the size of a city by exactly 50%. So the population can never become zero. But the numbers shown are rounded, so if you can make the population smaller then 0.05 it will show zero.

I made some rough calculation for equalized cities, 25 of them, assumed about 250 nukes in default settings.
If you use all of them equally on cities (so 10 per city) you can reach zero with about 50 mil population. Because you need to get rid of AA-fire, 8 per city is more realistic, then you can make it with about 12 mil population.
With random city sizes you need a little less nukes (or population can be bigger), but its harder to figure where you have to drop the nukes.
rome87
level2
level2

Postby rome87 » Sun May 01, 2011 8:50 am

Why does the territory population setting max out at 200 million if you only have enough nukes even when you destroyed all the enemy aa to kill less than 25% of them ?
bert_the_turtle
level5
level5

Postby bert_the_turtle » Sun May 01, 2011 10:05 am

There are integer overflows if you go much beyond 200M/territory.

Return to “Mod Projects”